Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Quick And Easy DIY SHO

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by 11 Gauge, Nov 11, 2008.

1. MikeMurray

MikeMurray Tele-Holic

Nov 14, 2008
    South Africa - Pretoria
    Hey guys

Gonna try make one of these to start off with.

What transistor would be the lowest noise? Will I be able to use anything that'd give a lower gain? And what would swapping up the diodes do?

Thanks fellars :D

2. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 21, 2003
    Near BWI Int'l
    Due to the gain levels with mosFETs, they are all kind of hissy and noisy at higher boost levels. You can do some searching for a DIY pedal called the Obsidian by Joe Davisson - he used "p channel" mosFETs that had a bit less hiss, but required battery power, just like an old PNP germanium Fuzz Face does.

The BS170 that Vex went with isn't so bad. The more common (and cheaper) 2N7000 is a bit noisier, and some folks think that it sounds a little crunchier (people forget that these things are NOT clean boosters).

The diodes are only there because mosFETs are fragile - a zap of static or a really loud transient can fry the transistor. Vex didn't put that protection on the early SHO's, and had to mail out replacement transistors to some folks!

The diodes simply give that electricity a safe place to go: to ground, and away from the mosFET's input. You might also want to socket the transistor, for easy replacement. Transistors are like 15 cents a piece if you mail order 20 or more.

3. pjackson92

pjackson92 TDPRI Member

May 13, 2010
    Alabama
    so is there a simple schematic for a BoR?

4. 11 Gauge

Mar 21, 2003
    Near BWI Int'l
    I found these. Not sure how low res they are (when uploaded here), or how helpful they might ultimately be.

Lots of people leave off the boost stage to simplify things. I think that the Distortron is the same basic thing, if you prefer that "flavor."

I forgot that this thing only has 3 transistors if you don't need the boost stage. It's got less parts in it than a Big Muff or Tonebender, for the most part.

Attached Files:

5. pjackson92

pjackson92 TDPRI Member

May 13, 2010
    Alabama

6. dave_hib

dave_hib NEW MEMBER!

Jul 27, 2010
    Australia
    could someone post the part numbers for building a sho using the pedalpartsplus site?
    I'm a complete newb and don't know what is the difference btw a Xicon 1/4W 1% Metal Film Resistor 5.1K and the 1/8w version etc.
    cheers,
    Dave

7. TopBoost

TopBoost TDPRI Member

Feb 27, 2009
    The Deep South
    @11 Gauge, I tried an SHO with the Mark Hammer SWTC2, with the treble boost, and Master Vol but I can't get the two to work. I get boost, but not treble control, and no MV. Ideas?

8. LaceSensor

LaceSensor Tele-Meister

Jan 1, 2011
    Manchester, England
    Hi all. Hoping to keep this thread alive, been inspired to make a shot at trying this.
    I have never really done anything like this before.

I have bought most the parts, in triplicate! to allow for mess ups.
    I could only get a DPDT switch for now, can someone please show how to wire this up. Dont need an LED. My first SHO will HOPEFULLY just be a box with one knob and the on off switch.

Thanks so much.

Oh I have purchased strip type board. Can someone provide the best way to wire this up? Ive seen some schematics. Does the circles which have been coloured RED with a box indicate you need to cut the copper strip?

Thanks!

FWIW I am trying to use this, the VERO Board layout and am a bit lost. :(

http://www.aronnelson.com/gallery/m...ownloadItem&g2_itemId=23465&g2_serialNumber=2

9. LaceSensor

LaceSensor Tele-Meister

Jan 1, 2011
    Manchester, England
    Hi

Can you show how to do this? The parts place I went to in the UK had the 9.1v Zeners but no 1N4148s. Thanks !

10. LaceSensor

LaceSensor Tele-Meister

Jan 1, 2011
    Manchester, England
    Well, I decided to try regardless.
    think i did everything ok, got a schematic for DPDT wiring here:

http://www.generalguitargadgets.com...f?phpMyAdmin=78482479fd7e7fc3768044a841b3e85a

When I link everything up using a DPDT toggle switch (not a footswitch) in the on position I get sound thru to the amp, in the off position I get nothing.

The sound I get is the bypass sound, nothing is boosted, and the pot doesnt change the sound. Im therefore assuming that the switch is labelled or wiring the wrong way round but otherwise its working, and there is a problem in the circuit somewhere.

really gutted as this was my first go even with a soldering iron really :(

tommorow I will take a pic or two, and also draw out exactly how I have it wired incase someone can help me spot a mistake.

would breadboard be better than VERO board?

If I completely remove the diode from the circuit I assume that wont be a problem? That was my main issue I have no real clue if its in the right place, as I have deviate from the 1N4148's replaced with a single 9.1 volt Zener

thanks

11. LaceSensor

LaceSensor Tele-Meister

Jan 1, 2011
    Manchester, England
    Wow, Slept on it, and made some adjustments, now it works.
    thanks so much for all the resources here. :)

Its a mess, but it works Im so overjoyed.
    Will post pics later.

12. Thighbanez

Thighbanez Tele-Afflicted

Aug 5, 2010
    delMARva
    Wow. I want to try this but I'm to dumb with circuitry to do this without step-by-step ala "LadyADA" type instructions.

:(

13. LaceSensor

LaceSensor Tele-Meister

Jan 1, 2011
    Manchester, England
    If I managed it anyone can :) seriously I havent picked up a soldering iron in over 15 years

14. 11 Gauge

Mar 21, 2003
    Near BWI Int'l
    Hey - as long as it works! It's such a simple circuit that it's typically better to just build another one (or two, or five!) to familiarize yourself with the build process a little more, and to hopefully get one that's a little cleaner looking.

But if it works, that's 99% of the challenge!

15. Thighbanez

Thighbanez Tele-Afflicted

Aug 5, 2010
    delMARva
    I'll give it a shot. If I fail I can add it to the list of things the new year has brought on.
    :rolleyes:

16. LaceSensor

LaceSensor Tele-Meister

Jan 1, 2011
    Manchester, England

Ive got enough parts now to make 25 ! haha I bought some in bulk on ebay.
    The pedal I have made uses a DPDT toggle for now, as they didnt have any TPDT foot switches at the store I got the intial parts.
    Likewise, its in a crappy box, not an MXR style one.

I plan to keep this for posterity! And then go on to make another one at least, properly, in a pedal case, for me to put on my board.
    As I will have lots of components I hope to make a Box of Rock or Super2in1.

Here it is
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Its called Pula Mare, which literally is "Huge ****" in Romanian (gf is Romanian so she named it). Graphics are super cheesy Purple Sparkle Nail Polish.

This one goes to 11(!)

Gut Shot (horror show for all you pro's)
    [​IMG]

17. LaceSensor

LaceSensor Tele-Meister

Jan 1, 2011
    Manchester, England
    Hi can someone tell me where the two flying leads coming off the board go to?!
    Thanks

18. freek

freek TDPRI Member

Aug 21, 2010
    Montreal
    Very nice boost, mine is a bit noisy, I suppose it is to be expected.

Here is my SHOM build (super hard on Mario):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Compared to the build, the box was pricey (5$...), but came with candies in it :p

19. LaceSensor

LaceSensor Tele-Meister

Jan 1, 2011
    Manchester, England
    Hi can someone help me out

I built another one of these, this time using a nicer schematic, and a socket for the tranny. I also attempted to wire it up for a 3pDT footswitch.

Issues:

1- When in bypass sound passes fine, but engaged, the volume is lower and or crackly.
    2- the control knob works in reverse, even though I used the same type of knob as on my 'Pula Mare' above and wired it identically to the board.
    3 - the DV jack I have included, when hooked up to the current boss adaptor, doesnt power the pedal

im pretty gutted after my confidence inspiring first build.
    DPDT is ok, but I want true bypass and LED :(

Can anyone help?
    Im waiting on a new multimeter so cant show voltages, but I tried a handful of trannys and got similar issues with all.
    Battery was a brand new 9v.

I used the alternative components of
    22k pot and matching resistor (instead of 5k)
    1M resistors (instead of 10M)
    9v1 Zener diode
    2N7000 type NPN MosFET

I add again, these are identical components to my first build that works.

Im guessing that its likely an issue with the wiring, which correct me if im wrong but is REALY hard to do :(

One of other note, should I use single core wire ?
    I have stranded right now and its a pain to thread through eyelet holes of lugs and such.

thanks for your thoughts.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.