Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Questions - Fender Standard Telecaster CAR MN Mexico

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by RoCkstAr256, Oct 3, 2017.

1. RoCkstAr256

RoCkstAr256 TDPRI Member

Jan 3, 2017
    Poland
    Hey

I am thinking of higher end guitar, i have bought squier affinity this year just to check out how tele feels since i always used to be a super strat fan. Mainly i have question about Standard Mex one, i really felt in love with this deep red color and maple neck, sound. How is this guitar? Are pickups strong, medium, weak? Can it play hard rock and be set up for C Standard tuning? How heavy is it? What about quality ?

This time i will prepare higher budget, in Poland it goes from 450 - 550 $. Does it have any drawbacks? I would love to use it for Blues, Rock and Hard Rock. Hope it will have some power for overdrive sound :)

2. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity

Nov 9, 2008
    Detroit
    I don't know if the 90's ones had ceramic pickups which you would probably like better. I seem to remember the 90's ones having fairly vintage Alnico pick ups .

Pick ups are cheap and easy to replace though - especially if it's just the bridge. Good luck ! I love Mexican Tele's.

3. brogh

brogh Super Moderator Staff Member

Jun 26, 2010
    italy
    Hi,

MN standard is a very popular choice of guitar, it's a good all rounder, looking in the used market, you can find probably many around you, you can eventually change the pickups later if you feel they do not work for your genre, tex mex or texas special could be something you want to look into, it's a start, numerous options available, you need to get a good mod platform MIM Standard looks to be really cool guitars, and many users modded them in so many ways :)

good hunting

RoCkstAr256 likes this.

4. RoCkstAr256

RoCkstAr256 TDPRI Member

Jan 3, 2017
    Poland
    I think i might get new one if price wont be high since used go for 450$. If i can reach same price or 500$ i will go for it. Needs to be only Red and Maple neck :D

5. 10thoufirst

10thoufirst Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Nov 16, 2013
    England
    If you go for a new one it will have the ceramic pickups which are quite punchy. I know, I've had one. The build quality is high and if it didn't have "Made in Mexico" on it you couldn't tell where it was from ie the USA. I can't think of anything bad to say about Mexican Fenders of all types so if you can afford a new one, go for it. as @Mike Eskimo has said, the earlier ones did have Alnico pickups which are more vintage in sound and you may choose to swap pickups if you go down that route. With the newer ones, no problem.

RoCkstAr256 likes this.

6. FraKo

FraKo Tele-Afflicted

Mar 17, 2003
    Milan, Italy
    As far as I know, Fender started to mount ceramic pup's on the Standard Mexi Teles from 2006 on. I've got a 2003 that had AlNiCo stock pick up's, which I later changed into Classic 60's. But those stock ones were good enough to be mounted on another tele clone I had (my avatar glorious Johnson blackie)

boris bubbanov likes this.

7. RoCkstAr256

RoCkstAr256 TDPRI Member

Jan 3, 2017
    Poland

Thats the words i wanted to hear, well didnt expect. I rather get new one since its 50$ or less difference. Most of used gear i see here is quite damaged or paint is off. I am hoping for a discount from GC

10thoufirst likes this.

8. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

First off, I would investigate whether Guitar Center will ship to Poland and if so, how much it will cost to put it in your hands.

You're not visiting the USA, are you? If not, beware all the associated costs - might be wiser to deal with an internet outfit that routinely sells guitars to customers in Poland.

Btw, a 10-15% premium for new over used, is tiny. We see instances here where the price at the dealer for new is almost twice what a used guitar would sell for between acquaintances.

9. RoCkstAr256

RoCkstAr256 TDPRI Member

Jan 3, 2017
    Poland
    Well yeah i known about prices. I can spare 50$-100$ Bucks more for it. I dont liek used gear, got once a guitar that had some problems with intonation. I have had sent it back. Used Fender Tele here goes around 450-500. New One 500-550 so not that big difference. Got few months ago Schecter 7 string for really low price. Guitar center in Poland has really low prices from some products , even lower then used ones. Affinity i gotten was just 175$ and its Indonesian.

10. Slim Chance

Slim Chance Tele-Holic

Mar 1, 2011
    Beltway, USA
    Wait, Guitar Center is in Poland? My day has been made. Thank you.

11. Slim Chance

Slim Chance Tele-Holic

Mar 1, 2011
    Beltway, USA
    Oh, and if red it is to be, than the MIM Standard is the way to go. Unless they have the BSB Deluxe Ash with reversed control plate.

12. RoCkstAr256

RoCkstAr256 TDPRI Member

Jan 3, 2017
    Poland
    Dude, like decade or more not sure. We dont use Thoman cause prices there are like 40% higher for most products. We have our local stores, not quite as big as Guitar Center but still are fine.

13. 10thoufirst

10thoufirst Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Nov 16, 2013
    England
    Good points. The OP could try Thomann, the distributors in Germany. They deal with Fender.

14. RoCkstAr256

RoCkstAr256 TDPRI Member

Jan 3, 2017
    Poland
    Man thoman is much more expensive than GC. They want 600$ while GC 550-500$ Here

15. Lefty Addams

Lefty Addams Tele-Holic

May 6, 2012
    England
    Really? Fender ones? I can't find a reasonable priced Fender Mexican bridge pup easily.

16. brogh

Jun 26, 2010
    italy
    Yes sometimes Thomann is more expensive on some stuff, if you can get it for 100 bucks less get it at CG

what do you mean by reasonable ? i can find here a mexican bridge pup for 40 euros, a whole set of american standard for 70, and american vintage 52 for 100, all used.

17. Lefty Addams

Lefty Addams Tele-Holic

May 6, 2012
    England

18. brogh

Jun 26, 2010
    italy
    vintage set for 114, bridge noiseless for 59 ( euros)

19. RoCkstAr256

RoCkstAr256 TDPRI Member

Jan 3, 2017
    Poland
    Last question, is neck oiled or satin , from both sidies? Thanks :)

20. Lefty Addams

Lefty Addams Tele-Holic

May 6, 2012
    England
    The neck should be satin urethane, same as the US Standards. Lovely stuff.

RoCkstAr256 and Don Mac like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.