Questions about the Peavey Envoy 110…

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by LGOberean, May 26, 2019.

1. LGOberean

LGOberean Poster Extraordinaire

…the TransTube, current model made in China. I’ve purchased three Envoy 110s over the years, a teal stripe, a silver stripe and a red stripe. Gave away two, sold one. I’ve also had other Peavey amps, namely Peavey Studio Pros and Bandits. I likewise gave away or sold all but one, my Bandit 65. I never meant to be without that amp, but sadly, it was stolen.

I’ve thought numerous times about replacing the Bandit, but I’m at a point in my health/age when 40+ lbs. is a deterrent. So I’m thinking again about the Envoy 110. I’ve never owned the current production model, so I’ve got questions about it.

The first question to come to mind was about the speaker simulated direct output on the rear panel. Does plugging into this jack defeat the output to the amp’s 10” Blue Marvel speaker? I’ve checked the online pdf manual for the amp, but when it describes this feature, it doesn’t say anything about the amp’s speaker continuing to work while you line out to a PA. The silver stripe version I used to have had an output jack on the rear panel, but plugging into that didn’t affect the operation of the speaker.

A related question also pertains to the speaker simulated direct out. How does it sound? If you weigh in on this question with your opinion, it would help to know what you think of speaker sim direct outs in general. For example, a local sound guy/keyboard player is of the persuasion that all speaker sims sound like crap, and that you should always put an SM57 in front of an amp’s speaker.

BTW, I don’t share his view. Or at least, I know of one notable exception. The Line Out from my Vox Pathfinder 15Rs going into a PA sounds very good, and when I use one of my 15Rs for larger venues/outdoor gigs, I prefer Line Out to a mic.

But I digress. One more question: how does the current production model Envoy 110 sound? In a way, this could be the most important question. But for me, it’s almost an afterthought, because as a guy that’s owned several Peavey TransTube amps, including a silver stripe and a red stripe Envoy 110, I’m already fairly well convinced the current model will sound good as well. Plus, I’ve listened to quite a few YouTube videos on the little booger (including one by Willie Booger ;)).

2. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

I can't say for sure, but I assume the speaker will still work, so you can use the amp as a monitor onstage while feeding the line out to the PA. It's usually only a headphone out, like on small modeling and practice amps, that mutes the speaker for silent late night practice or recording. Call or Email Peavey and ask them.

LGOberean likes this.
  3. W.L.Weller

W.L.Weller Tele-Meister

howardlo, LGOberean and DougM like this.
  4. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Poster Extraordinaire

In my search for a simple, solid state, analog amp, I did the Peavey thing, too; but in the end, the Peavey was much more than I wanted or needed.

I don't need built in effects, since I have my Valeton Dapper Mini (small, simple and very effective).

I'm primarily a studio player, and I now have a Roland Blues Cube Hot, an Orange 35RT and a Yorkville Acoustic Master AM150 (great acoustic amp/sound reinforcement setup).

I'm very happy with my setup, and if I ever have the desire to play out, I'm confident that I could make it work. :cool:

Last edited: May 27, 2019
  5. LGOberean

I was kind of assuming this to be the case, but you know what they say about what happens when you assume...:twisted:

The Line Out on my Pathfinder 15Rs doesn't mute the amp's speaker, and I always turn it toward me for stage volume. And the Mix DI Out on my Fishman Loudbox Mini also gives me the amp's speaker + the post-EQ signal to the PA.

W.L.Weller likes this.
  6. LGOberean

I probably wouldn't use everything that an Envoy 110 comes with, but I don't see it as having a lot of extra bells and whistles. The different voicings on Clean will be welcome. I'll probably never use the anything but the Vintage (red stripe) or Classic (cyclops) voicing on the Lead channel. And I'm not a pedal guy, so the on-board Reverb is welcome. And it's the only ob-board effect, so I don't see it as an amp that has a lot of useless bells and whistles.

FenderGuy53 likes this.
  7. FenderGuy53

"But I digress. One more question: how does the current production model Envoy 110 sound?"

Like this:

8. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

I wonder if you like the Bandit but want it lighter if buying a pine cab for it would get you where you want to be? It would be like throwing money out the window if you ever sell but.... in terms of changing amps and trying to get the right one maybe it would be good. Those old Peavey cabs are usually particle board and very heavy... They sound fine and are durable though...
    Maybe take the time to remove chassis and speaker and see what that cab weighs.

I will tell you this though, over the last 15 years I have attempted to make light amps etc because I'm old. The money and effort I've expended in trying that has been thousands of dollars. I would have been far better off just putting my big boy pants on and carrying what I wanted to use... or finding good hand trucks etc to use when possible.

9. LGOberean

I've seen it before, but yeah, that's a good one.

10. LGOberean

Uh, I think you missed the fact that I'm "Peavey-less" right now. I had sold or given away all my Envoys, Studio Pros and my Bandit 75, and I meant to keep the Bandit 65. Sadly, it was stolen! :(

I would probably pull the trigger on a used Bandit if it was in good working order and the price was right. I periodically check the local pawn shops for guitars and amps. If I found a Bandit or Studio Pro or Envoy, I'd be immediately interested. They're actually getting harder to find. But I will keep prioritizing lighter weight amps. Bandits are really heavy for SS amps. To this day, when I type the word "heavy," my fingers want to type "heavey." :oops::twisted:

I've said it before (but not yet in this thread), that almost 5 years ago I had a heart attack and subsequent quadruple bypass surgery. I've got back problems, bad knees, and torn tendons in my left shoulder and a torn bicep on my right (guess I just have a "unicep" there now). So those are the health issues I alluded to earlier.

I have a dolly to wheel in my gear for load-in, and then out for load-out. But I don't have a lift gate on my vehicle, so I still have to lift amps up into, and out of, my SUV.

11. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

Yeah, I missed that! There seem to be Bandits around a lot. I think my local pawn and CL both have had one recently.

12. FenderGuy53

Oops, my bad. My experience was with the Bandit, not the Envoy. Sorry.

13. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

I bought a used Envoy for one of the kids in my school band. His dad gave a budget and I happened to visit a friend who was selling his, so I bought it for 160?, I think.

took it into band practice and hooked his Aria strat into it and it improved the sound in the room no end... sounded great..... kid and dad were stoked.... then I hooked him up with a ds-1 into it another day.... that sounded great as well...

I never tried the line out on the Peavey, but on all my other amps line out doesn't kill the speaker...

a few pics back panel, etc....

Peavet Encore 110 spkr.JPG

Peavay Envoy110 fr.JPG

LGOberean likes this.
  14. The Angle

The Angle Tele-Meister

I'll add a related question . . .

I too picked up a used Envoy a while ago. Mine's the older silver-stripe version. Most of these I see online have the Blue Marvel speaker. Mine came with an unbranded speaker; the only markings on it were "70777-154 / Made in Taiwan / 462TM." Is that a stock Peavey speaker, or did someone swap out the Blue Marvel for this?

I dropped in a Warehouse G10C instead, which sounds fantastic -- but having heard both, there's no question the no-brand speaker sounds pretty darned good, too. It has a small magnet like the Blue Marvel and weighs only about 3 lb., compared to 7 lb. for the G10C.

Can anyone confirm whether silver-stripe Envoys ever shipped with unbranded speakers?

Last edited: Jun 3, 2019
  15. Les H

Les H Tele-Meister

Is it wrong for me to say when the Transtube line first went to China I lost interest? Well I did....

I think the Red Stripe Envoy was the best version just like I think the previous Black and silver transtube Bandit was the last best Bandit. I have a red stripe Bandit also and I feel it has a pronounced honk in the mids where the black and silver seemed more scooped in comparison.

As far as Line outs go I would love to love them but I have only found one that ever sounded true to the amp was on a Kustom Coupe 72 amp. It sounded spot on however it was tailored to the stock speakers which aren't the best speakers for the amp so if you change speakers the line out still sounds like the original speakers, kinda useless after that.

To the guy above asking about unlabeled speakers in Black and silver envoys my memory is when I bought a new black and silver Special 212 in '96 only the Bandit and the Special 212 had upgraded Sheffield Speakers. Even the bottom trim plate said "Sheffield" on it. Back then there was a 65 watt Studio Pro ( it may have come with Sheffields too) between the Envoy and the Bandit so the Envoy was a little further down the line. I do not recall a Blue Marvel labeled speaker until later, maybe even not til 2000. So it's most likely possible to have an unidentifiable speaker in a first generation transtube Envoy than it would be to have a labeled speaker. PV using a speaker made in Taiwan back then could be questionable though but I don't know but the Envoy was in the lower amp line bracket back then. From top to bottom was Special 212, Bandit, Studio Pro, Envoy and I think Backstage or Audition. (I should have never sold my Special 212)

16. LGOberean

Yes, I can confirm that. As I said in my OP, I had one of these black box/silver stripe Envoy 110s. I no longer have it (gave it to a prison ministry), but I still have pics of it. In the second of the two pics below, the unbranded speaker and its magnet are clearly seen. What is less clear is the information stamped onto that speaker. But if you enlarge the image and rotate it to where the stamped information is right side up, you'll see that its the same as you mentioned: "70777-154 / Made in Taiwan / 462TM."

100_0370.JPG 100_0374.JPG

The Angle likes this.
  17. Les H

Les H Tele-Meister

Those black and silver PV amps were the best looking version in my opinion. I wish they would have stuck with that look. I have a red stripe bandit and I just don't find it attractive at all. Kinda looks robotic like in person lol.

18. LGOberean

Well, we like what we like, don't we? :p I don't dislike the black box look, but I don't think I'd say it's my favorite.

Truthfully, having had teal stripe, silver stripe and red stripe Envoys, a teal stripe and a silver stripe Studio Pro, and two Bandits from the '80s with no stripes, I came to the point where the looks didn't matter. I've heard a lot of comments about Peavey amps being "ugly," but their look, whichever one it is, kind of appeals to me because I really like the amps themselves.

19. Les H

Les H Tele-Meister

If you ever stumble across a solid state Dean Markley K75 I would recommend picking it up. Usually under $100.

20. The Angle

The Angle Tele-Meister

Thanks for the info.

Looks-wise, I like the silver stripe. It's nicely understated and classy, doesn't jump up and down hollering "look at me!" I did, however, remove the Peavey logo. I have nothing against Peavey, but that spiky logo makes the amp look like a toy. This isn't the first amp I've de-logoed. It's become abundantly clear to me that music gear logo designers do not have me in mind while they draw.

The amp was very clean when I got it; not much dust and only light tarnish on the reverb tank. Every pot needed a spritz of electro-cleaner. One of the four screws securing the chassis was missing because the nut inside was stripped. That took 20 minutes to sort out. Price-wise, I couldn't be happier. I paid $58 for the amp and $40 for the not-even-broken-in-yet G10C, so even with an upgraded speaker I'm into it for a nut, a machine screw, and less than a Benjamin. Honestly, the main reason I bought it was because it was such a bargain, I'd have hated myself if I walked away. I certainly didn't need another amp, but I'm darned glad I snagged this one. It's sort of hard to believe you can get an amp this good for so little cash.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.