Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

[Question] - Pedal Power 2 Power Supply

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Jkard883, Oct 8, 2004.

1. Jkard883

Jkard883 TDPRI Member

Jun 2, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    What is the thinking for a high end pedal power supply? I was looking at pedal boards recently, and a lot of the pictures on eBay had a Voodoo Labs power supply in the image. I investigated, and all I can tell is that they are an extremely expensive ($165) power supply.

Why would I want to spend that much cash when I can pick up a Boss power supply for $15? Is there really a big enough difference that I should consider it?

Thanks All!
    Jay

PS - to everyone that suggested the small PedalTrain pedal board at Musicians Friend, thanks for the tip, unfortunately, they discontinued it the day after I ordered, so looks like I'm gonna make a pedal board as PedalTrain replaced it with a inferior product (IMHO).

2. Tim Bowen

Tim Bowen Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 17, 2003
    Atlanta/Rome, Georgia, US
    Much depends on your needs. If you need to power 3-5 garden variety 9V stomps with standard polarity, you're probably fine with with an inexpensive choice. The One Spot, Godlyke Power All, Signalflex PS-9, & others all are priced significantly lower than the Voodoo Lab. BTW, some of those units will handle quite a bit more than that, but I've read of certain limitations for powering non-standard pedals with each, FWIW.

The VL becomes more viable when you use items that have reverse polarity, or are wired internally for reverse polarity, voltage greater than 9V, oddball stuff like that. The VL has isolated outs & torordial transformer, & I've generally had the best results, flexibility, & quietest operation with that unit. But I've powered 4-5 standard 9V pedals with a $35.00 Signalflex unit many times in the past with no problems.

3. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Doctor of Teleocity

Apr 28, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    If you're just using one or two normal 9v pedals, a Boss PSA adapter will do just fine. The VooDoo Labs Pedal Power 2 can power a ton of pedals though, including two of the big Line 6 Pedals. If you bought 4 or 5 Boss power supplies and plugged them into a power strip, you'd surely begin to notice some noise, under gigging situations (loud amps, poor house power, stage lighting, etc.). The Pedal Power has isolated outputs and a special transformer that greatly reduces hum and cross-talk (pops and such) between pedals.

I've seen the new Pedal Train offerings in person, and they are not inferior in anyway that I can tell. In fact, they are constructed in the same exact manner as the original version, just different sizes. I'm about to sell one of my originals and get the new large model Pedal Train.

4. Jkard883

Jkard883 TDPRI Member

Jun 2, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Makes sense

I kind of figured it had something to do with power distribution and signal flow, but wasn't sure. I'm only powering four Boss pedals and one VL, so I may be able to get by for now with the more budget minded power source.

Just to clarify, I'm not saying that the new PedalTrain boards are bad, only the Jr. model which now has a soft case as opposed to the one I tried to purchase with a hard case. Not knocking PedalTrain in anyway, just upset I missed the small one before they went with the cheaper case.

Thanks!
    Jay

5. snakesoup

snakesoup TDPRI Member

May 11, 2003
    Middle TN
    While we're on the subject....

....what are the differences between Pedal Power and Pedal Power 2?

6. Lance

Lance Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2003
    Charlottesville, VA
    Another point

With a pedal power, you can run negative grounded and positive grounded effects at the same time. For example, my Rat is positive and the rest of the pedals are negative. If you use other power supplies, you'd actually need two seperate ones since you'll short things out by daisey chaining them. With the PP, it works.

The new version has two new features. You can power the line 6 effects (higher voltage) and there are power sends that have adjustable voltage for those that want to simulate the dying battery thing.

Personally, I didn't have a need for either and found a used PP 1 on Harmony Central for $80.

If all of your pedals are similarly grounded, I'd really recommend the one spot. I have one in my gig bag as a backup.

7. TheGoodTexan

Apr 28, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    Re: Another point

Here's a little aside.

Did you know that the big Line6 pedals will function properly using a 9v DC, 1000mA power supply? Just like a Boss PSA, but with about 5 times the power. The Line6 power supply is AC, 1200mA, which throws everybody off. But here's the deal.

Line6 didn't want to have to manufacture seperate power supplies for the pedals and the POD. So they made what they needed for the POD (since it was out first) and put a tiny transformer in the pedals that immediately turns the AC voltage into DC before it goes to the circuit.

That's why it was so easy for VooDoo Lab to design the PP2 to work with the Line6 pedals. If you read in the PP2 owners manual, they specifically say the the PP2 cannot power a POD, even though they use the same power supply.

8. Daddy Elmis

Daddy Elmis Tele-Holic

Jun 19, 2004
    USA
    Re: Another point

I actually run a reverse polarity pedal (my StarTouch A/B/Y) with my One Spot by using their $2.99 reverse polarity adapter. All the other stuff (FD2, Clyde Wah, etc.) are standard polarity. I've had no problems, and the One Spot is quiet as a mouse.

Absent the need for running 18v pedals or highly complex pedal boards, I've never quite understood dropping the dough for the Voodoo.

I think their "voodoo" is actually getting folks to pay that much for a DC power supply. :D

9. thepearljammer

thepearljammer Tele-Meister

Mar 28, 2004
    i have a vox wah, digitech whammy (ri), big muff pi, and am planning to get a boss dd-6 and an aphex punch factory compressor....would the pp or pp2 be able to handle all the aforementioned pedals without purchasing any extra equipment?
    also, what cables do i need to purchase to hook everything up?
    thanks

10. TheGoodTexan

Apr 28, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    The PP2 replaced the original PP about 2 or 3 years ago, but you may be able to find a good deal on a used PP. I see them on eBay all the time.

Either one of them would do the job for you. A new one will include all of the cable that you'll need (and then some). The only thing is that you'll have to use the wall-wart power supply that came with the Whammy pedal, and plug it into the A/C outlet on the back of the PP. It's no big deal. I had to do this with a EH chorus that I used to have.

Other than that, I believe that your other pedals will plug in directly to the PP.

11. Tim Bowen

Tim Bowen Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 17, 2003
    Atlanta/Rome, Georgia, US
    Does the Vox wah have a power jack? If not, it could still be powered via one of the battery clip cables that comes with the VL power supply... if you don't mind creating a small recessed area in the wah's enclosure to accomodate the cable. I just used a metal file. Wahs often run quieter as powered by batteries though. The wah should be placed as far away from the VL power supply as possible, for quietest operation.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.