Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Question on strings

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by gip111, Nov 5, 2018.

1. gip111

gip111 TDPRI Member

May 5, 2016
    New Jersey USA
    Today at my local GC, I noticed an used Affinity Tele just sitting there waiting for me and of course had to take it home. My second Affinity Tele, these guitars do not dissappoint. Both wearing 9-42 strings, first tele has 6 month old Earnie Ball which sounds very bright and twangy, the newer tele strings are unknown brand but sounds mellower, fuller.
    So that said, are there mellower sounding strings in the 5 to 6 dollar range? I'm not looking to pay for coated or flats and want to stay with the 9-42 size.

2. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Friend of Leo's

Feb 3, 2017
    Foat Wuth, Texas
    Flatwounds?

3. Tele Fan

Tele Fan Friend of Leo's

Oct 26, 2007
    Louisville, Ky
    Pure nickel strings will have a darker sound. Different brands did to have be darker or brighter. I always found the GHS strings to be the darkest out of the pack.

4. acrylicsuperman

acrylicsuperman Tele-Holic

Nov 17, 2010
    Arizona
  5. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Tele-Afflicted

Aug 10, 2018
    In space with Ziggy
    Those 6 month old string must be dead. That's a long time for a set of non coated strings. Even the coated ones need changing after 6 months if not well before imo.
    I think any new strings you put on there will sound brighter than a set of 6 month old strings.
    Especially the wound strings.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2018
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.