Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Question on nitro finish

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Joshmc5150, Apr 16, 2012.

1. Joshmc5150

Joshmc5150 TDPRI Member

Apr 13, 2012
    West Virginia
    I'm pretty sure I have aftermarket tele body.. its Sea Foam green with some relic mojo going on..

Anyways.. The clear coast is flaking off pretty easily.. So I'm thinking its not nitro.. and some other type of clear coat. But the finish is better without the clear coat some I'm gonna leave it as it is after i peel away the clear coat.

So what does a bad job of nitro clear coat end up doing? Peeling and flaking like mine or else??

2. soulman969

soulman969 Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 20, 2011
    Englewood, CO
    Can you verify whether or not it's an aftermarket body and if so whose? A poly finish would tend to peel since by in large it's somewhat like a plastic protective coating over the finish. Is that's what it's doing.

3. Arbiter

Arbiter Banned

Jan 24, 2012
    self-banned
    Ho boy, yes, it sure can and that can be a real ugly situation if it happens in a production environment and the cause is not known. Worse still if you don't find out for a while and then get a mountain of guitars that have to be refinished under warranty.

Bad lacquer, bad color coats, bad initial coat, incompatible color coats, wax/silicone contamination....there's a lot of ways nitro can go bad and you're experiencing one of them. Glad you don't mind the look.

Bubbling, checking and clouding can also happen and are hard to fix. There are some other nitro issues that can come up but are pretty rare.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. soulman969

Mar 20, 2011
    Englewood, CO
    IME these are more characteristic of nitro. The checking looks like a spider web of tiny cracks in the finish that come from exposure over a period of time but if it gets bad the finish could crack open. And again IME clouding tends to happen with nitro finishes as well where the finish begins to become opaque.

If you know the source of that body you could probably find out the nature of the finish but it sounds more like a poly coat to me. Most nitro finishes are reserved for high end guitars but you can get aftermarket bodies with nitro finishes as well.

6. Joshmc5150

Joshmc5150 TDPRI Member

Apr 13, 2012
    West Virginia
    It's a aftermarket for sure... Has a tummy cut and top mount string on bridge only piece. It's looks like the owner painted it sea foam green and then did a nitro shot over it. The finish isn't a poly feel to it... And peels off like piece of plastic on a pickguard of a new guitar except it's brittle.

I actually plan to peel the rest of it off since its so easily done.

7. Sea Devil

Sea Devil Tele-Afflicted

Sep 23, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    The best way to determine the composition of any finish is to apply various solvents to an inconspicuous area of the guitar until you find the right one. Some contemporary finishes are totally impervious to solvents, however.

It sounds as though you may have a catalyzed finish that will only accept additional coats within a very short time after application, and someone tried to paint clear over it. It could be shellac, based on the description (denatured alcohol is the solvent for shellac).

8. soulman969

Mar 20, 2011
    Englewood, CO
    Sea Devil's suggestion could be spot on. If it's as thin us you say it doesn't sound like a modern poly finish. If it comes off that easy and you like it better without it your problem is solved anyway or try Sea Devil's suggestion to see if that will hurry it along.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.