Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Question on epiphones

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Marn99, Feb 15, 2017.

1. flyingbanana

flyingbanana Poster Extraordinaire

They're great. This one is all mahogany.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 17, 2017
    TMMC and Southpole like this.
  2. radiocaster

radiocaster Tele-Afflicted

Aug 18, 2015
    europe
    Mine got smoother after playing it for a couple of months, but it would have been better if they had better quality control.

3. ajdlc

ajdlc Tele-Meister

May 11, 2016
    Brooklyn, NY
    I find asking questions in this forum gives good insights from people who own the instruments. Sure, not every response is helpful, but many are. Also, as we all know, not everything on the internet is true -- even manufacturer's specs. I'm not suggesting anything about the link you shared, just defending people asking for information on this forum. :)

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Alex W

Alex W Friend of Leo's

I'm a fan of Epiphone and own 2 Epi Les Pauls. Just last week I spoke to the guitar tech at Willcutt Guitars about doing some cosmetic changes to one of the LPs, pickup rings, pickguard, poker chip etc. He cautioned me that if I go out and buy Gibson parts they may not line up exactly right and it may end up being a lot more hassle than I anticipated. Furthermore Epiphone parts are hard to find he said.

That issue aside, I have swapped the pickups in the 56 Goldtop model from the P90s (which were fine) to TV Jones T-Armond pickups in soap bar housings. Soap bar sized pickups being essentially standardized, the TV Jones pickups dropped right in just fine.

I find the playability of the nicer Epiphones to be great but I have found the reputation for cheap wiring, pots and switches to be true. I did not replace the switch on the one LP when I did the pickups but a year later it died and I had to have it swapped. The other LP I hardly ever play and despite being a case hermit all this time when I got the guitar out recently the switch was giving me some issues.

6. stax

stax Tele-Afflicted

Jul 5, 2006
    Brentwood U.K.
    A lot of the higher end Tokai's although well made still use a veneer over a plainer maple cap, its what's under the veneer that matters.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2017
  7. cntry666

cntry666 Tele-Afflicted

Aug 16, 2010
    decatur, ga
    I love my Epiphone LP. I put Dragonfire pickups in mine and changed the tuners. It plays great!

8. GuildX700

GuildX700 Tele-Holic

Apr 28, 2016
    USA
    "not everything on the internet is true -- even manufacturer's specs."

Sadly true.

I was just looking at the specs for Epiphone's Korina Explorer and Flying V, they state:
    • Historical all Korina (African Limba) Explorer Body
    But make no mention of any veneer but looking at them they obviously have veneered tops and backs:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

ajdlc and TMMC like this.
  9. LowCaster

LowCaster Tele-Meister

Jan 24, 2011
    Paris, France
    I have a mixed mind about Epiphone. They Make cheap guitars and they make expensive looking guitars.

I am ok with the cheaper ones, as long as they are made of wood, make sound... Once you deal with setup and fret ends... A few years ago I bought an Epi Dot studio, around 200$ new. Nice student guitar, sturdy and easy to play if not great sounding. The satin finish was so dull, thick and ugly, I had to try to refinish it. What I found under the neck finish was the roughest sanding job you can imagine. Like they used 80grit sandpaper and did not even care to flatten the surface.

Epiphone is now producing higher end models priced over the entry lever Gibsons. Sweet looking shiny stuff (think about a bait). I don't doubt these can be good guitars, and they even include real Gibson pickups if you wish to pay for that. So why not? But to believe you know anything about how it was made, or what materials were involved? I don't.

Gibson is another story.:D

10. flyingbanana

flyingbanana Poster Extraordinaire

Maybe the op enjoys exercising free speech and dialogue with other people in social settings who may have had personal experience with the guitars in question...

11. ebb soul

ebb soul Friend of Leo's

Jun 7, 2016
    Smyrna georgia
    Yes be warned, converting an epi means every single screw or component is Asian sized, and will not take actual Gibson parts, save pickups I guess.

studio1087 likes this.
  12. deytookerjaabs

deytookerjaabs Tele-Afflicted

Jun 5, 2015
    Nashville
    Look at a different way...

Let's say you wanted to build a Les Paul and think about the decisions you would make along the way. Not all Epiphones are like this (some are top notch, really) but MANY modern ones have particular features. What would you choose??

#1: A quarter or rift sawn block of red tight grained mahogany and carve one neck blank from it?

#2: A smaller random board of a whiter varying grained sub species of mahogany & splice it at the headstock & heel to build your neck.
    ___

#1: A blank of known rosewood from a consistent supplier.

#2: A cheaper blank of "rosewood" from a bottom dollar supplier.
    ___

#1: Jescar fretwire, or another reputable brand.

#2: "Cupronickel Guitar Hard Fretwire" 2 bucks a meter from China
    ___

#1: Nickel Pearloid Deluxe Tuners available domestically

#2: "Chrome Machine Head Tuners" 10 bucks from the PRC
    ___

#1: Would you put a small steel rod in the truss channel with your nut/threads past the fretboard in the headstock slot?

#2: Would you put a larger metric nut in the truss channel itself below the fretboard?
    ___

#1: Would you go with a factory plek job?

#2: Go with with no fretwork or a hand level by the tech overseas?
    ___

#1: For the body, same deal, tighter grain less splices of red mahogany.

#2: Varying sub species of mahogany with more splices & possible veneer
    ___

#1: Domestically sold chrome bridge & tailpiece

#2: Tune-O-Matic ABR Style Bridge & Tailpiece, 12 bucks from the PRC
    ___

I could go on but things like pickups or knobs etc get swapped out all the time anyways. The point is, you can get a Gibson on craiglsist for $500 bucks with all the #1 features. Likely, the $500 Epiphone will have most of the #2 features if it's a Les Paul. But, it will have a fancy looking veneer top with flames, PRC plastic binding and a pound of poly finish. Is that how YOU would choose to build the guitar if you had a choice?? I don't see the point of the Epi Upgrades, but that's just me.

I'd argue if someone was going through the process from scratch 99% of the time they'd go with the tighter, more expensive & more consistent materials piece by piece. Not that you can't get decent results from #2, but a guitar is indeed the sum of it's parts either way.

studio1087 likes this.
  13. studio1087

studio1087 Doctor of Teleocity

May 10, 2003
    Near Milwaukee
    I've been avoiding/biting my tongue on this one. You can buy a decent US made Les Paul new for less than $1000. You can do even better used. I just bought a 50's tribute dark back goldtop on clearance for $679.00.

I would never spend $400 on an Epi and than bit by bit put $400 worth of modifications into it. You go down that path and it becomes a nickel and dime money pit that adds up (a lot) over a few months. In the end you have a Chinese guitar with a bunch of personal choices/personal investments that will mean almost nothing should you ever sell it. If you were to sell the guitar would be more valuable if it were 100% original.

I've built guitars from kits. If I ever got the bug to go mod-happy I think I would buy a Carvin kit for $500 and build the whole thing tomy liking.

The band that I was in did about 6 drop D songs. Shine by Collective Soul and Fat Bottom Girls by Queen were my favorites. I bought a flashy Epi to leave in Drop D; it's was $350 and girls always came up and asked about it. I wouldn't put a nickel into that guitar and declare it better. It's very nice for what it is.

Happy (stock) Epi....

[​IMG]

TMMC likes this.
  14. 24 track

24 track Friend of Leo's

Nov 6, 2014
    kamloops bc
    I have 5 epiphones I love them all the black dot studio was perfect from the get go , set up sound ,and playability, a 10 out of 10
    the white fire bird was an 9 out of 10 I had to get a harmonica bridge to be able the intonation due to the bridge angle ( i could not set it up for left handed with the original bridge)
    it still is a great player and intonates very well.
    the SG 300 is my beat it up road guitar cheap and sounds oustanding plays very well. 9out of 10
    My Sheritan great tone but drifts in tuning , I think temperature sensitive I need to work on that not too serious yet 7 out of 10
    the EB3L needs some work Im not entirely satisfied with this yet action, neck set , nothing that a great set up cant cure.

P1011554.JPG

Bottom line I really love epiphones great players that are very resonable a little TLC and proper setup ...they rock , literally

TMMC likes this.
  15. fatcat

fatcat Tele-Afflicted

Jul 6, 2010
    Very Deep South
    My No.1
    1487354977745.jpg

2006 epi Dot. Lots of mods and tweaks over the years. You'll have to pry it from my cold dead hands.

TMMC likes this.
  16. Pointmonger

Pointmonger Tele-Holic

Aug 29, 2009
    Austin, Texas
    My Tribute plus has a carved maple top on a mahogany body. Great guitar. My 339 Pro with P90's is nothing short of amazing and I walked out the door with it, brand new, for less than 300 bucks. Don't let the naysayers turn you off. There are fine examples out Epi guitars out there.

17. BryMelvin

BryMelvin Tele-Afflicted

Jan 4, 2014
    Arivaca AZ
    I have several Epiphone guitars. I do a lot of outdoor playing. I have an early LP100 MIK that I bought years ago to use in some knife and gun clubs with a country band. (chain linked stage etc).
    It sounds fine and feels fine (did change picklups to 4 wire Wilkinsons though). I don;t have to worry about taking my Gibson SG out in the rain etc.

Same goes for my Epi AJ220S and my 78 Epi 12 String Acoustic is a totally different animal from today's epi 12.

Epi since it has been part of Gibson has had some great guitars and some junk. I believe they currently have the best selling guitar in existence. LP special II. I actually have a couple of those too.

There are some nice epis and definitely at the lower end they are quite playable compared to a 100 dollar guitar when I was young!

18. studio1087

studio1087 Doctor of Teleocity

May 10, 2003
    Near Milwaukee
    I just want to be clear on something. I'm not an Epi naysayer. Epi's are fine (( think). I just wouldn't put $400 in hopped up parts into a $400 Chinese guitars. I would spend the $800 differently.

Marn99 and TMMC like this.
  19. TMMC

TMMC Tele-Holic

Apr 3, 2013
    SLC
    I'd say this is sound advice. However, if you find the right $400 guitar, and you put $400 of what you want to upgrade into it, you might come out with something priceless.

Marn99 likes this.
  20. 24 track

24 track Friend of Leo's

Nov 6, 2014
    kamloops bc
    I was curious about chibsons I got one for my birthday Cost 310.00 delivered to the door, I spent 150.00 on all original gibson parts pickups, pots, caps, tuners, les paul switch craft pickup switch pull back shielded wire ( thank you Kijiji) and this was the out come , Now I dont profess to anyone owning fake guitars or endorse doing so , but once you have you cannot sell it . this needs to be known that even with the original gibson parts this is not a gibson, (But it looks, plays and sounds fantastic, I got lucky. it does play better than my real les paul)

I wanted to see first hand what the tells for a fake is , now i can spot one from a mile away and I would never buy a gibson on line with out seeing it first and holding it.

P1011366.JPG

P1011486.JPG

21. Iceman0124

Iceman0124 Tele-Meister

Dec 1, 2008
    Chattanooga TN
    I also have a harder time with heavy modding epi's ,with all the sub $1000 Gibson's on the market....I spent about the same on this new including the mods than I did the Epi classic LP I mentioned a few posts back...

upload_2017-2-17_18-17-19.png upload_2017-2-17_18-34-12.png

upload_2017-2-17_18-17-49.png

upload_2017-2-17_18-23-50.png

One of the very first runs of tributes, added a vibramated B7 and polished up the satin finish to a VOS esque shine....took about 2 hours of elbow grease and made a world of difference....these make Epi LP's a very hard sell IMO. My modded Epi looked and sounded good, but very uninspiring to play.....my 50's Tribute didn't look great but played and sounded wonderful....and after the polish I think she is pretty damn hot....pre polish the top looked flat most of the time unless the light was just right....now it pops from every angle and then some. Just some food for thought.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.