Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Question on compensated tele saddles

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by Buzzgrowl, Oct 3, 2017.

1. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

Lowcaster, IMO you can improve that MM further by putting Gotoh 3x3 split shaft tuning machines on there. Also, big gauge strings like 12-54 seem to help. But finally, finessing certain notes played in certain locations on the board makes such a difference.

I had ordered a compensated bridge for my Melody Maker and the part went to Backorder. I called and canceled after I discovered I was OK with the above modifications.

2. Dacious

Dacious Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    Godzone
    You're playing a tempered instrument. If the intonation is 'precise' at the twelfth fret it will be guaranteed to be out on some strings around the sixth and up on the 18th The only way for it to be exact is for your frets to look like a Buzz Freiten nut, and be a series of zigzag lines.

Pianos too - tuners do not tune them exactly 'in'. The bottom keys are always slightly sharp and top keys slightly flat compared to middle, or the ear 'hears' them as being wrong.

My experience is setting intonation at the twelfth fret is a few cents flat on anything but especially fat frets like my old 335 was preferred to sharp. Or gigging with keys it always sounded off.

3. LowCaster

LowCaster Tele-Meister

Jan 24, 2011
    Paris, France
    Thanks, I never heard of these. Unfortunately there is no way to go back to vintage tuners on this one without ongoing a complete restauration of the headstock: the holes were very roughly enlarged to put Grovers.

Do you mean 12-52 with a wound G?

4. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

If the bore enlargement is in the neighborhood of 10.0 mm, or alternatively 10.5 mm, you can find "conversion" bushes that keep my suggestion alive - if you're ever interested.

Yes, you're right - 12-52 with a wound G - I almost forgot.

LowCaster likes this.

5. Buzzgrowl

Buzzgrowl TDPRI Member

Oct 3, 2017
    Switzerland
    First, many thanks for all your comments and advice and a very interesting conversation!

I changed the saddles last night and used the straight saddle for the middle strings. The tuner still shows its a bit off (2-3% more-less), but it sounds fine playing some very stretched chords higher up like a five-fret stretch fingering of a Cmaj7 on the 8th fret.

The tele is a Baja classic player from 2008 beige-sand with maple neck. I picked it up "as new" - the previous owner did not play it at all (prog fusion PRS guy) - for about half the price. It has a really nice ring to it, a nice chubby neck and does not buzz with fairly low action and quite a straight neck, also sustains for days. The switching is a bit different. All in all, couldn't be happier!

Again, thanks everyone and twang on!

- Buzzgrowl

Piggy Stu likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.