Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Question from a "pot noob" - switching volume pot

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by JBFatFingers, Aug 19, 2017.

1. JBFatFingers

JBFatFingers Tele-Meister

Oct 9, 2016
    Canton, MI
    I've been considering switching out my MIM standard pickups for a set of SD Quarter Pound, and the consensus seems to be that they work best with a 500K tone pot. Is it necessary, or is there any reason to switch out the volume pot at the same time? I don't have any complaints about the taper, etc. with the volume currently. Thanks!

2. kafka

kafka Tele-Meister

Oct 18, 2013
    Maryland
    It's all a matter of preference. A 500K might bleed off a little less highs than a 250K, but the 250K will work just fine.

JBFatFingers likes this.

3. sjtalon

sjtalon Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I would leave yours like it is, save the coin on having to buy another pot and and try it.

FTMP, 250 or 500 in there don't matter, as with cap changes, either can function the same.

JBFatFingers likes this.

4. JBFatFingers

Oct 9, 2016
    Canton, MI
    OK, so I need a sanity check here...

My SD QP set just came in, and I'm not in a position to install them myself...would love to learn someday, but today is not that day. So I called a local guitar shop, one that I've never been to but that's supposed to have a pretty good reputation, and asked what it would cost for them to switch out the pickups and the tone pot (250K to 500K) and cap. The tech says to me, "Why do you want to switch out the tone pot? It's not going to make any difference in how it sounds. The volume pot, maybe, but not the tone pot."

So...this guy is nuts, right? Again, I'm the pot noob around here, but everything I've read points to a 500K tone pot resulting in a brighter sound (bleeding out less of the highs) than a 250K. Am I understanding that correctly?

5. warrent

warrent Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Sep 15, 2009
    toronto
    Its the volume pot you are thinking of. standards are 250k for single coils 500k for humbuckers. Teles can use 1meg. the higher the value of the pot the brighter the pickup will sound. changing the tone pot is going to be a subtle change. I think the idea is thar sd's are dark so a 500k volume pot will add some brightness.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2017
    JBFatFingers likes this.

6. Sean_D

Sean_D Tele-Meister

Jul 12, 2017
    Sacramento, CA
    The first question really is how much do you use the tone control? If you leave it mostly full open or really even stay in the top half of it's range the difference is going to be very subtle.

With that being said... If you want to have the tone pot changed, then change the tone pot. I have changed the pots in every guitar I own because I like to have a specific pot in my guitar. Really for no other reason than I want that specific pot in there. Does it change the sound... Probalbly, but I really don't notice a difference.

7. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Apr 2, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    I'm no expert but changing both pots to 500k will give you the brightest sound. 250k and 500k less so, and a 250k for both the least.

It is a preference thing. It can also be kinda dramatic. A 1meg linear Jazzmaster is a different beast than one with a 250k audio taper, for example.

8. JBFatFingers

Oct 9, 2016
    Canton, MI
    Thanks for clarifying, don't know why I had that switched around in my head.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.