Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Question for us older guys

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Vitadog, Nov 19, 2017.

1. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Tele-Afflicted

Feb 3, 2017
    Foat Wuth, Texas
    The joke answer.....There are three things that tend to go first when you age....your eyesight, your memory, and your eyesight.......
    The serious answer.....TURN ON MORE LIGHTS, STUPID! (just kidding about the stupid part :) )

2. tery

tery Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Sep 21, 2012
    Tennessee
    Get an Eye Exam - near sighted , far sighted , bifocals , readers , contacts , seeing eye dog ?

3. unixfish

unixfish Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free + Supporter

Apr 20, 2013
    Northeast Ohio, USA
    I sometimes play with my computer glasses.

I also have reading glasses.

And driving glasses.

I use the computer glasses for work - they work well for things at arms length. I need the readers to read more than a few minutes. I only need the drivers when I am tired at night.

Mid 50s suck in this regard. I was always 20-18 vision and could see really well. Not as much anymore.

Andy B and nojazzhere like this.

4. The Ballzz

The Ballzz Tele-Afflicted

Apr 11, 2016
    Las Vegas, NV
    All my life, I've heard people speak of getting older as "The Golden Years!" At 62, the only thing "Golden" that I see my future is the stains in my shorts, after an accident! Don't even get me goin' on the eyesight and the uh, uh, oh yeah, the memory thing! :eek:

On the plus side, if someone can give me the first two words of the lyrics for a song, even if I haven't played or even heard it for 30+ years, I can play and sing it in it's entirety! I agree with standardizing the guitars chosen to play and certainly a Tele is about as "standardized" as you can get! :D While I don't generally "watch" my fingers, catching fret markers at a quick glance can be helpful, but increasingly difficult in certain light, or lack thereof!

Imagine the plight of a geezer like me when loading in/setting up all the gear, including sound and lighting and doing duty for three or four sets, as sound engineer, lead vocalist and guitarist in a three piece band and then packing and loading it all out at the end of the show! :rolleyes: I do still, so love watching special things bounce and shake on the dance floor though!

This song sure says it all for me! Thank You George!

Gettin' Old Sure Ain't For Sissies!
    Gene

Last edited: Nov 19, 2017
    Loco and nojazzhere like this.

5. Sparky2

Sparky2 Tele-Holic

Apr 15, 2017
    Harvest, Alabama
    Me too!!
    :eek:

6. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    I'm just glad it was a sight issue you were talking about.

Thin69, Anode100 and nojazzhere like this.

7. Vitadog

Vitadog TDPRI Member

Jun 22, 2014
    Somonauk, IL

nojazzhere likes this.

8. Direwolf

Direwolf Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

Nov 16, 2009
    Louisiana
    I don't look at my right hand and only look at the left when making a large change. That said, I can't see shat anymore so it's a good thing. If I were you I'd try to train myself to not have to look. Do you anchor your palm on the bridge? If not, that will help you a lot.

9. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    +2 Yup, practice without looking down. Think of it as a commitment for the future.

10. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Mar 11, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    I'm 62 and have had cataract surgery. as was said earlier, though I do not say it in jest, turn on the lights. You don't need to "set a mood" for yourself.

Loco, telemnemonics and nojazzhere like this.

11. JL_LI

JL_LI Tele-Meister

May 20, 2017
    Long Island, NY
    I'm 67. I can tell you it only gets better, partly because you care less. I lost stereoscopic vision because of a detached retina and my hearing isn't what it used to be. I have to turn my head to the left to see down the neck with my one good eye and that brings my bad ear closer to the sound hole when I'm playing acoustic. Still, I'm playing better than ever, or at least I don't suck as bad. It's all about attitude. I don't see my glass as half empty. In fact I see it as pretty near full. I'm not offering advice, just perspective.

12. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 16, 2014
    Auburn, California
    Ditto. Was working on my next guitar today and had'em on for hours.

telemnemonics likes this.

13. The Ballzz

The Ballzz Tele-Afflicted

Apr 11, 2016
    Las Vegas, NV
    That sir is a fantastic perspective and couldn't agree more, though sometimes I do seem to get a bit down. I will endeavor to heed the spirit and wisdom of your observations! I too am playing better than ever and that's after a 15 year hiatus from being in bands! I do feel the most "Alive" when the PA is just right, my guitar is in tune and the lights come up! It's been that way since my first time under a pair of Super Trouper spot lights, singing a solo, in front of nearly 3,000 people at age eight, or so The bug bit me hard at a young age and I've been addicted ever since.

Thanks For Sharing Your Well Informed Thoughts,
    Gene

Last edited: Nov 19, 2017

14. Hobs

Hobs TDPRI Member

Sep 16, 2011
    Nashville, TN
    I've gotten so that I dare not look at my right hand when I'm playing. I'll get some good fingerpicking going and look at it, and it all just falls apart. It's like the old joke about asking a centipede how he walks.

15. ROADMAN

ROADMAN Poster Extraordinaire

:lol::lol::lol:

16. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 19, 2006
    Gilbert, AZ (PHX)
    It was good after cataract surgery until the retina detachments...

17. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 19, 2006
    Gilbert, AZ (PHX)
    I never look at the strings... I just need to be able to see the side dots on the neck.

hrstrat57 likes this.

18. Amby

Amby Tele-Holic

I'm 20 years older than the OP, but my only frustration is that it takes a little longer to re-string my guitars (with 9s).

thegeezer and Thin69 like this.

19. Dobronaut

Dobronaut TDPRI Member

Dec 11, 2016
    Leicestershire UK
    I'm 64, my problem is remembering lyrics! I sing in 2 different outfits, that's about 90 different songs. I get around it by having little prompt cards clipped to a thingymajig on the mic stand, but I'm now getting to the point where I can't see the cards! And set lists have to be really BIG. Still as a previous poster said there are compensations. I'm playing and singing better than ever, and I can still see the special bouncy shaky things on the dance floor!

elihu and nojazzhere like this.

20. Oldgitplayer

Oldgitplayer Tele-Meister

Nov 24, 2009
    Brit in Australia
    Blind Lemon Jefferson
    Blind Willie McTell
    Blind Boy Fuller
    Reverend Gary Davis
    Blind Willie Johnson
    Jeff Healey

Do I need to go on............?

Deeve and Obsessed like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.