Question for the young guys/gals...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by chet again, May 15, 2019.

1. chet again

chet again Tele-Meister

who are too young to have been around when the music from the 50s, 60s, 70s and even the 80s was made. How do you feel about it? Do you think of it as your parents or grandparents music and you can't relate to it?

I heard a lady say on a radio station to the DJ that her kid told her that the radio station played "music she liked" which was 50 through 70s music.

Last edited: May 15, 2019
    t guitar floyd and Deathray like this.
  2. DonM

DonM Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

The first record I owned was Oh Boy by Buddy Holly and the Crickets, so I'm not qualified to answer.

3. chet again

chet again Tele-Meister

Yeah, I'm old enough to have been around when most of the music first came out.

4. trouserpress

trouserpress Tele-Holic

I believe that the period during the childhood in which you develop an initial interest in music is responsible for how your taste is being 'calibrated'.

I've heard of a concept called 'ego channel' that claims that the entry to each person's mind is like an individually shaped passage (think of the little kid's toy box with differently shaped holes and bricks). The shape of that passage determins what kind of information/music will pass easily or won't go through at all.

When your parents listen to 60s and 70s stuff you are most likely to develop a "passage" that will fit these patterns as well as the patterns that come with actual stuff that's being played in the radio and preferred by your peer group.

Noise landscape do matter too. When I was young I thought of the world as being kind of 'mechanical'. Kids of the 80s might have thought of an electronical world wheras today's kids could probably describe it as being 'digital'. All of these 'worlds' have different soundscapes going on.

Some generations don't seem to have a basis on which they could manage to agree in terms of taste.

Blrfl, hudpucker, RiverDog and 5 others like this.
  5. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

Music has been going downhill since Buddy Holly died.

6. trouserpress

trouserpress Tele-Holic

See - that's exactly what I'm saying.

hudpucker, nojazzhere and beagle like this.
  7. RoCkstAr256

RoCkstAr256 Tele-Afflicted

I was Born in 1990, my journey with music started in 2005. Got my first classic guitar and during that Time i Did listen to things like Linkin park or seether, Korn . After years i have discovered musicans like Steve Ray V, Led Zeppelin, Iron Maiden, Soundgarden and Pearl Jam. My Mother liked thinks like Pink Floyd Queen, Genesis. As a teeneger i didint like all that Old stuff and preffered metal music. After years i got into blues like muddy or buddy guy by going to shows to a local Club. Cover bands did it for me. If not them i would never Got i to blues. As a 28 yo Man i love blues, grunge and New alt metal

8. AlbertaGriff

AlbertaGriff Tele-Holic

I'll be 34 this year. I was fed a healthy dose of Beatles and other 'oldies' as a child both on cassettes and on the local AM station. I would have to say that the Beatles were my first favourite band, when I was somewhere between 4-8 years old. When I was 10 I 'discovered' the Canadian MTV equivalent and got wise to the modern music of the day (Smashing Pumpkins, Pearl Jam, STP, etc.). I also picked up the guitar that year. By the time I was 13 I was heavy in to classic rock (1964-1975 or so) with a focus on the guitar bands like Hendrix, Zeppelin, Cream. In my later teens, probably as a result of being in a band at the time, my musical tastes meandered more to the indie rock stylings of the turn of the millennium. Fast forward to today and I listen to pretty wide range of stuff... but the one constant that I never tire of are the classics like Buddy Holly, The Beatles, Gene Vincent, Otis Redding, James Brown, etc.

9. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I think a lot of younger people just listen to what they are told to listen to or what they think the majority of their piers expect them to listen to. What they think will make them look cool rather than any real preference due to a connection to the music.
    The millions of views the latest YouTube viral music videos get in a matter of days seems to support my theory.

With this being a guitar forum and telecasters at that I don't think the answers here will reflect the majority of younger peoples views on music.

Last edited: May 15, 2019
    howardlo, nojazzhere and AlbertaGriff like this.
  10. Grant Austin

Grant Austin Tele-Meister

So same as it has always been, but triply so since radio and recording took off.

11. Chunkocaster

Kind of but not really, Back in the day the records with most sales still hold up and are considered classics today. Not likely to happen with this weeks 12 million views viral youtube video/song.
    It will be replaced within the next month by the next viral sensation and the masses will keep eating up the chit they are shovelled.

12. Asmith

Asmith Friend of Leo's

I'd probably have to disagree, it probably appears that way to most people who can't stand todays pop but music does change drastically over the decades and I'm sure your elders looked down on what the kids were listening to back in the day too. Most people I know my age also prefer genres outside of pop too, (off the top of my head) house, metal (like avenged sevenfold), 60s/70s rock, folk rock, new wave.

I think I have a wide taste in music, I was born in the 90s but I grew up listening to 80s pop (my mums choice of music) and madchester, which is basically indie music from the 80s (my stepdads choice of music) so basically 80s music. But I like rock from all decades, although admittedly indie rock and post punk is my favourite and I like a lot of other 90s and early 00s music as well. Clearly buried in to my subcoincience before I took a genuine interest in music.

I guess to answer the OPs question I do like the music my parents listened to and I feel I have a connection to it but I like music from before that era anyway.

13. AlbertaGriff

AlbertaGriff Tele-Holic

You mean like this one from 2011?

Chunkocaster likes this.
  14. Chunkocaster

Yes but you play guitar so of course you like real music or look for more out of the latest song offering than a cool tip on what nike's to buy next week or how low you should be wearing your pants.

Every week I see a new generic music video pop up with tens of millions of views in a matter of hours/days. Meanwhile a great song buried in the bowels of youtube has maybe hundreds or thousands of views.

15. Greg_L

Greg_L Tele-Holic

There is good and crap from any decade.

I personally was not alive in the 50s and 60s, but popular music from that time period holds up better than the horrible **** from the 70s and 80s. With the exception of punk rock and new wave, the 70s and 80s were terrible times for music from my perspective. The 90s picked it up again for a little while. By 1996-ish it was done and there's not been much good ever since. I think 70s classic rrock sounds more dated and old fashioned than actual oldies from the 50s or 60s. Jerry Lee Lewis songs still sound dangerous. Blue Oyster Cult sounds like old people music.

So for me, for music way before my time, the 50s and 60s seem a lot more listenable and authentic that the **** that followed in the 70s and 80s....if we're just going by rock and roll per decade.

howardlo and Mike Eskimo like this.
  16. Greg_L

Greg_L Tele-Holic

This is true. I see it all the time. Kids will listen to what their friends listen to, regardless of their own tastes or opinion. They need to be in with what's cool. In a way, things are no different than they ever were. That's why we eventually find our own style in the late teen years and never leave that musical time period, no matter how stupid we look at 40. We as humans hold on very tightly to our musical coming of age. A lot of 80s guys have traded in their IROC for a Volvo crossover SUV, but they still blast Van Halen while driving the 2.3 kids to soccer practice.

100% truth. A bunch of old aging guitar players are not a good barometer for anything. Ever.

SolidSteak and Chunkocaster like this.
  17. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

There used to be a lot of people who said "music has been going down hill ever since that Buddy Holly started releasing records." They are mostly dead now and no one cares what they think. Our turn is coming.

18. fasteddie42

fasteddie42 Tele-Holic

I find something to like about most music.

Steve 78, Tommy Biggs and nojazzhere like this.
  19. Greg_L

Greg_L Tele-Holic

But....but....Jimmy Page happened after Buddy Holly! :eek:

Brucesu likes this.
  20. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

I rest my case.

howardlo and Greg_L like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.