Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Question for Tech 21 TM 60 users

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Endless Mike, Feb 9, 2018.

1. Endless Mike

Endless Mike Friend of Leo's

Nov 2, 2016
    Arlington, Texas
    Had one of these before, briefly. I liked it, but had a hunch the speaker could use some upgrading/was its weak point.

How many who own and use this amp have upgraded the speaker, and felt it improved the amp? What speaker did you replace the stock speaker with?

Also, how many find there's extra hiss from using effects into the front of the amp? Did using the effects loop work out well?

2. Endless Mike

Nov 2, 2016
    Arlington, Texas
    Guess this shoulda' gone in the solid state amp forum. Oh, wait...

3. Endless Mike

Nov 2, 2016
    Arlington, Texas
    I know there are TM60 users here, you guys are the one who put me on to the darn thing.

4. Shango66

Shango66 Friend of Leo's

Aug 15, 2012
    Australia
    There’s the tech 21 amp owners club on here.
    I have a 60w Celestion Cream Neo in my TM60. I never bonded w the 70/80 rattlecan speaker.
    The upshot is I now have a better sounding, lighter amp.
    Not used the effects loop.

5. Endless Mike

Nov 2, 2016
    Arlington, Texas
    Thank you for the reply. Sincerely. Why did you not bond with that speaker? Rattlecan? Could you elaborate?

I'll check that owners club, but usually if your thread goes ignored, you won't fare any better in a specific club thread.
    That's been my experience anyway.

6. Dennyf

Dennyf Tele-Holic

Feb 9, 2011
    Charlotte, NC
    I had an older one with the Tech21 branded "special design" speaker. I was always happy with it, never changed it. I think I only plugged it into and external speaker once or twice, and didn't like the sound as well.

Your experience might be different, but I think I read somewhere, from someone, that the original speaker was designed to have a broad, flat frequency response. I was surprised that they went to Celestion in some subsequent years.

7. Endless Mike

Nov 2, 2016
    Arlington, Texas
    The flat response makes sense, now that I think about it. Thanks for the input.

8. Shango66

Shango66 Friend of Leo's

Aug 15, 2012
    Australia
    I find the 70/80 very brittle sounding. The 70/80 seems to be an entry level celestion that gets put into many amps. I’ve had them in the TM60 and a Ampeg GVT 15. Both amps were vastly improved by speaker replacements.
    I see you are considering a C Rex , I put that speaker in my Ampeg gvt 15 and it’s a great speaker. I’m sure it would be good in the TM 60.
    I went Neo to keep the weight down.

9. Endless Mike

Nov 2, 2016
    Arlington, Texas
    I've read similar comments about the 70/80 from many others, going through old threads on the net. It seems that speaker replacement is a fairly common thing for this amp. Maybe that has more to do with the times we live in, than the amp itself. As to speaker weight, I'd be worried about speaker weight if it were 1) a 2x12 and/or 2) a tube amp of fifty pounds or more. The TM weighing 30 pounds, I can deal with it.

10. Shango66

Shango66 Friend of Leo's

Aug 15, 2012
    Australia
    The chassis weighs nothing. Its the mdf particle board cab and ceramic speaker that add the weight. If i can get a great tone and a few pounds off the lug into gigs. Ill take it.

Tony474 likes this.

11. Endless Mike

Nov 2, 2016
    Arlington, Texas
    Bummer that they had to use MDF. If this works out, I'll have someone make a new cabinet out of pine, birch, something coniferous.

Jakedog and Shango66 like this.

12. Tony474

Tony474 Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Apr 16, 2007
    North Bushey, England.
    I upgraded the speaker in my TM60 with another Celestion, a G12K-100. A premium speaker and a little more efficient than the Seventy-80 (which itself isn't too bad in that respect), but a lot smoother in the upper mids and with a beefier bottom end. It also added a little weight to the amp, but not unmanageably so.

Absolutely right about the cabinet. I'm not sure whether it's MDF or particle board (they're not the same thing). This amp isn't the worst offender, however. My original 1990s Roland BC-60 Blues Cube, same height and width as the TM60 but a little deeper, has a sturdy particle-board cabinet and weighs 44 lbs. I have a Peavey Classic 50 valve chassis in a custom solid pine 2x10 cabinet that weighs no more than that.

13. stax

stax Tele-Afflicted

Jul 5, 2006
    Brentwood U.K.
    I have the older version which has been used for hundreds of gigs and have never seen the need to change the speaker, Boss RE20 through the fx loop and a Barber gain changer into the clean channel and I'm happy.

14. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Jun 4, 2005
    Williamsville NY
    I, too, had an older TM60 with the Tech 21 special design speaker. It always sounded fine, to me. From what I've gathered, it was not a designed-just-for-guitar speaker, but a neutral sounding speaker with high power capacity meant to provide a tonal baseline for all that active tone shaping going on. BTW: the diameter was not industry-standard for guitar speakers, so some routing or sawing of the baffle board is required to replace it with something else.

I still think the eventual use of the Celestion 70/80 was a compromise choice based on cost and not tone.

Tony474 likes this.

15. Endless Mike

Nov 2, 2016
    Arlington, Texas
    When you replaced the speaker, did you find that you had to cut the baffle as mentioned by archetype?

That archetype, he's so Jungian.

16. Shango66

Shango66 Friend of Leo's

Aug 15, 2012
    Australia
    Mike, the earlier tm60 w tech 21 labeled speaker was odd sized requiring a trim to the baffle. The later version w the celestion 70/80 is a straight swap. In fact, it’s front mounted so they made it very easy to swap out speakers, just pull the velcro d grill off and have at it.

17. Tony474

Apr 16, 2007
    North Bushey, England.
    As Shango66 explains above, in my case the swap couldn't have been easier. One Celestion for another – the difference is in the "works", but the baskets are the same.

18. Endless Mike

Nov 2, 2016
    Arlington, Texas
    Right. That's always been my experience. Yet archetype reports the speaker not fitting in his case. I've never heard of, or experienced such a thing. The way the industry standard works, as you know, is that a 12" speaker is a 12" speaker. Why a manufacturer would do otherwise makes no sense. I think there's something here that that we don't know, some untold detail. Any amp maker would know, that speakers fail, and some people are hard on their gear. To make it so a user can't replace a part like that doesn't add up.

19. PCollen

PCollen Tele-Afflicted

May 7, 2010
    Man of the World

Tech 21 60 vs Fender Mustang III...discuss.

20. Tony474

Apr 16, 2007
    North Bushey, England.
    You got me there. I've never personally encountered a TM60 with the earlier speaker, so I simply don't know. I imagine that they had their reasons for using a unit with non-standard specifications, but I can only speculate as to what they might have been. It's just possible that our friend at Tech 21 is reading this and might care to chime in as he has in the past, but in all honesty it isn't something that keeps me awake at night...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.