Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Question for Silverface............

Discussion in 'B-Bender Forum' started by J. Hayes, Oct 22, 2012.

1. J. Hayes

J. Hayes Friend of Leo's

May 18, 2005
    Virginia Beach, Va.
    Hey Jim, in another thread about David Grier having #42 of Mike Nihen's infamous "Clarence" guitars you mentioned that you had #1 of that series. I was just curious as to how that came about. Mike should have been in Fairfax, Va. around that time and since you're in California, did you know him before or did he advertise somewhere that he was going to be making them and taking orders? I'd sure have liked to have been in on aquireing one of those beauties. He installed the P/W bender on my favorite Tele and I got to pick some on one of his while I was at his house/shop. He had a good thing going.....JH in Va.

2. string pull

string pull Tele-Meister

Oct 29, 2011
    Fairfax,Va
    Jerry
    He stole it from me. I'll never do business with those west coast guys again.......oh yea your from the west coast too...never mind actually I think we met in some North Hollywood , Burbank bar scene, late 1970's doing the "gong" show hillbilly bluegrass. Hunter S Thompson was taking notes. Fear and Loathing in Burbank. Soon to be a major motion picture.

3. J. Hayes

J. Hayes Friend of Leo's

May 18, 2005
    Virginia Beach, Va.
    Hey Mike, glad to hear from you.........

Are you still in the "business" of benders? I'm still enjoying and using the P/W bender you did for me in '05.....

For everyone else, Stringpull's a standup guy and does great work. I had a little tension problem with my guitar and he drove all the way from Fairfax to Va. Beach and fixed it for me, no charge....... Thanks again Mike....JH in Va.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. string pull

string pull Tele-Meister

Oct 29, 2011
    Fairfax,Va
    Asleep at the wheel thats me.....Im done
    thax Jerry

6. Silverface

Silverface Friend of Leo's

Mar 2, 2003
    Redondo Beach CA
    We're still working on the screenplay of how I ended up with #0001. If I recall part of the story correctly, Mike had told me in a letter (remember the US mail? Remember when there was NO internet? If not, stop reading now, proceed directly to Harmony Central, do not pass Go, do not collect $200.).

Errr - he told me he had this dream about making benders that matched Clarence's original long-throw.

Fast forward about 15 years. He's made and sold a few Nashville West long throws, Gene's mad because now HE has to make a long throw (15:1 odds it was Gene's ex-wife and business partner who got him riled up...Gene's too nice to be pissed off) says he's gonna mail me the damned thing to "test drive".

He does. It's an amazing piece of work. In my possession. The ol' 9/10 of the law thing.

The rest involves Phil Kaufman, Aynsley Dunbar, Zoot Horn Rollo, Aspen Pittman and several dwarves who played munchkins in the Wizard of OZ.

The rest we'll make up, like we do everything else.

Mike flew out here several years ago for a Clarence White Forum jam. He personally wrote the serial number on it with a Sharpie that will be sold on eBay - watch for it.

And we both play Dobros and D-41's. For the rest of the story you need your handy Avengers decoder ring and the search function on the Les Paul Forum.

Code key: "Quodlibet".

7. string pull

string pull Tele-Meister

Oct 29, 2011
    Fairfax,Va
    your not gonna sell that Sharpie are you? I'll be heart broken.....

8. string pull

string pull Tele-Meister

Oct 29, 2011
    Fairfax,Va
    if I remember correctly we had to hold down Firebug Kaufman and wrestle that propane torch from him.

9. Silverface

Silverface Friend of Leo's

Mar 2, 2003
    Redondo Beach CA
    "...here I come to save the day..."

Tank you veddy much.

10. string pull

string pull Tele-Meister

Oct 29, 2011
    Fairfax,Va
    Where are the other Nashville Wests. I know that at least a half a dozen are in Japan, a handful in Europe.the rest in the US. I know where 3 are and thats it.
    Anybody?

11. djalt

djalt Tele-Holic

Aug 23, 2010
    canada
    I know of one in Kelowna BC.

P.S.

I'm still scraping together my deposit for #44 :)

12. djalt

djalt Tele-Holic

Aug 23, 2010
    canada
    I still owe silverface an explanation of how it "almost" happened....

13. Don Miller

Don Miller Tele-Afflicted

Mar 16, 2003
    Anchorage, Alaska
    One of them is in Alaska. If I recall Mike offered to send #1 to me and I was dumb enough to say no, or hem and haw too long or something so he sent it to that guy in California instead. Or something like that....but then I landed #41...I had to get my own sharpie.

14. string pull

string pull Tele-Meister

Oct 29, 2011
    Fairfax,Va
    Ole #0001 got around. Bryan Kimsey got a crack at it (to rock and roll) then whats his name from Austin had it for a while, Casper Rollins. He wouldn't ship it back unless I paid for the shipping. People wonder why I dont make guitars anymore.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.