Question for pedalboard owners

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Hendrixlvr, May 23, 2019.

1. beninma

beninma Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I have a One Spot & I also have a One Spot Pro CS12 (the big one).

Big difference in performance. Not hard for me to hear the difference.

I switched from using a cheap power strip to using a Furman as well. Amp & Pedalboard plug into the Furman which has some basic line conditioning/filtering.

But the order you place your pedals in makes a huge difference in noise as well!

TheGoodTexan and RetroTeleRod like this.
  2. DavidP

DavidP Friend of Leo's

Good recommendations on the VooDoo Labs power supplies, but don't overlook the TrueTone One Spot Pro ones -- the CS12 can even power a Line 6 HX effects unit!

3. stnmtthw

stnmtthw Friend of Leo's

I just daisy chain off of a One Spot as well, but I only run 3 pedals.

4. DugT

DugT Tele-Holic

You can assign any effect or any group of effects in any order to any pedal. You can store 100 different combination and name each combination. It is amazingly versatile.

Here are the effects available. (It also includs twenty different amp model emulations.)

*2 OD/DS
    MID BOOST, CLEAN BOOST, TREBLE BOOST, CRUNCH, NATURAL OD, WARM OD, FAT DS, LEAD DS, METAL DS, OCT FUZZ, A-DIST*, BLUES OD, OD-1, T-SCREAM, TURBO OD, DIST, RAT, GUV DS, DST+, METAL ZONE, '60S FUZZ, MUFF FACE, CUSTOM

*3 FX1/FX2
    T.WAH, AUTO WAH, SUB WAH, ADV. COMP, LIMITER, SUB OD/DS, GRAPHIC EQ, PARA EQ, TONE MODIFY, GUITAR SIM., AC.GUITAR SIM*, SLOW GEAR, DEFRETTER, WAVE SYNTH, SITAR SIM., OCTAVE, PITCH SHIFTER, HARMONIST, OVERTONE*, SOUND HOLD, AC. PROCESSOR, PHASER, FLANGER, TREMOLO, ROTARY1, ROTARY2*, UNI-V, PAN, SLICER, VIBRATO, RING MOD., HUMANIZER, 2X2 CHORUS, SUB DELAY, TERA ECHO*

I'm not saying that the GT-100 is the best solution for you, but there are several excellent multi-effect processors and one of them could be a much better solution for those who use multiple pedals.

5. ce24

ce24 Poster Extraordinaire

BOSS ME80 works just like individual pedals for on the fly tweaking. But has 4 patches per bank which means you can have 8 effects available individually for each patch. I have one patch for each guitar and set up delays,choruses comps and od specific to each guitar.....and it is a snap to do.

6. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Been gigging a 1-spot for years.
    If there's something better, it's probably a lot more expensive and I don't want to know about it.

Marc Morfei and Mike Eskimo like this.
  7. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I got a line 6 M9 in a sideways trade six or seven years ago. I did another sideways trade with a band member and he got it because if I didn’t get rid of it, I would’ve gone down multiple rabbit holes at the same time.

For the two or three weeks that I owned it it was pretty fun. The time based effects were very good . You are basically getting a DL4 in it. The distortion overdrive fuzz ? Not so great…

8. Mark the Moose

Mark the Moose Tele-Meister

The internet amplifies complaints. Most of us have had little or no trouble with the daisy chain unless the current draw (digital!) was too high.

Obsessed, MilwMark and Hendrixlvr like this.
  9. Hendrixlvr

Hendrixlvr Tele-Holic

Yea, I’ve only got a ts-9, a tuner, a Mythos High Road Fuzz, a Mythos Chupacabra and a Vox wah (I’ll get a power adaptor cable since it only takes batteries), nothing digital, so maybe the One Spot is worth a shot trying

10. Mark the Moose

Mark the Moose Tele-Meister

You can get a Big Joe Power Slot for $12.95 on eBay. I used it for quite awhile before I built my big board.

11. die Fliege

die Fliege TDPRI Member

I spent a lot of time researching boards and power supplies. I believe in design simplicity and I eventually settled on a board by Outlaw Effects (the Nomad) which has a built-in rechargeable lithium battery, and is able to power multiple pedals for up to 8-9 hours (my numbers). I’ve had no problems thus far. My only regret is buying the small board, as I should have gotten the larger one. (Maybe I’ll get a second board; my pedal collection is growing). Details are at http://www.outlawguitareffects.com/accessories/nomad

12. Stiles

Stiles Tele-Meister

Very happy with the ISO-brick, except for the size.

13. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

You omitted to tell us what pedals you have.
    In most cases, meaning for people who have run of the mill 9v pedals with few digital pedals the small 1 spot is fine.
    If you have "peculiar" pedals (like germanium fuzzes and complex power hungry digital pedals) you need something with isolated outputs for minimum noise.
    This is FANTASTIC and can power anything under the sun

https://www.thomann.de/gb/truetone_1_spot_pro_cs12.htm

14. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Just saw this :)

I think you will be fine with the regular 1 spot (if your fuzz pedals have reverse polarity you should buy the appropriate adaptors)

I have been running all my analog pedals with the same 1 spot for decades with zero problems.

Attached Files:

15. 41144

41144 Tele-Holic

Obviously depends on the space you've go on the board and the budget you want to go to … but, if you don't want to run to $100s … I'm very satisfied with my Vitoos ISO 4 … for about $70 (US) … that's x8 isolated power outs each up to 500ma, they do bigger ones too.

16. cyclopean

cyclopean Friend of Leo's

unless you want to pick the specific effects you actually want and want to be able to mix and match.

17. wulfenganck

wulfenganck Tele-Holic

There are some steps to take:
    First, find out if DC or AC is required (I'm not joking, I met people who didn't know the difference and tried to run a tube-driven pedal with a DC-powersupply).
    Second, make a list of the current draw each pedal requires; your powersupply needs to be powerful enough to feed all pedals (with some headroom).,
    Third, choose a sufficient powersupply.
    It is a lot easier to use a powersupply with isolated outputs.
    I'm not generally opposing daisychains,I still use them on one of my boards. But make sure the pedals are okay.....I have a Red Panda Raster Delay that gets noisy when put in a daisychain with another pedal - it requires an isolated output of its own.
    I had no problem putting my wah, overdrive and the channel-switch for my amp in a daisychain, but sometimes analog and digital pedals don't like to be chained.
    I also had to put some distance between my powersupply and my wah to avoid hissing.....

This is a great site to have an overview about powersupplies:http://stinkfoot.se/power-supplies
    ...and a collection of various pedals and their current draw: http://stinkfoot.se/power-list

Obsessed likes this.
  18. knockeduptele

knockeduptele Tele-Meister

try 30

19. Chud

Chud Poster Extraordinaire

Under $30, quiet, does what it's supposed to.

Screen Shot 2019-05-24 at 11.01.16 AM.png

20. cyclopean

cyclopean Friend of Leo's

i just daisy chain one steps because i like the added noise for aesthetic reasons. quiet pedalboards are the uncanny valley.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.