Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Question for NRA (and maybe other organization) members

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by soulgeezer, Sep 28, 2017.

1. brobar

brobar Tele-Meister

May 30, 2017
    Colorado
    Good to know. When I inquired several years back that was a big negatory!

2. dogwatermike

dogwatermike Tele-Meister

May 10, 2014
    albuquerque
    When I was 50 I started getting AARP letters all the time. (I'm 63 now).... that has tailed off, but now I get all these letters and ads for cheap cremation and burial plots.... and the crazy thing is I'm paying attention to them! Wow - creamation for $1000? That's a good deal! Sign me up! Only problem is that I'm not dead yet!

nojazzhere likes this.

3. jackinjax

jackinjax Friend of Leo's

Sep 11, 2016
    Jacksonville
    I don't think the $25 membership fee AARP wants from me would pay for half the mailings I get from them. At that rate of return on investment, no wonder they're a nonprofit.

4. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

Yeah, it ends up net counterproductive when they don't acknowledge you paid them already.

Just pay an outfit twice for the same years' membership, and they never send the second check back - and you realize what you did and the organization never gets another single dime - when they coulda got a $ 30 here and a $ 30 there for decades.

+

One friend had a funny story, and I am inclined to think this was true. He called to complain to some charity organization that they'd never processed his check, and woman on the other end of the phone answered for some other, totally unrelated special interest group. Either this is a Boiler Room type of arrangement or the employee just forgot who she was working for that week.

5. screefer

screefer TDPRI Member

Feb 28, 2016
    kildonan
    I would give my left you know what to have a Sweetwater up here in Canada. They could send me the Sears catalog or whatever they want if I could access their prices and service and choice.

Mechanic likes this.

6. 1955

1955 Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 10, 2010
    Certain uncertainty
    Harbor Freight catalogs with coupons and anything with cash are always welcome, incessant email spam is the loinspur tickle-wiles of the cha-devil , that about covers it.

7. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity

Nov 9, 2008
    Detroit
    "Do you ever wonder whey you're giving them money, when it seems like all they do is use that money to send endless streams of junk mail asking for yet more money?

I swear, not a single day goes by that I'm not receiving some kind of junk mail (in real life; actual, paper mail, not the digital variety, though I get that, too) from the NRA or one of its ten thousand sub-organizations asking for money for this cause or that whatever."

So that makes you feel :

- Used ?

- Unappreciated ?

- Annoyed ?

- Taken for granted ?

- Like a fool for still belonging ?

- Like you need to start a vaguely ?/completely ? embarrassing thread explaining what's been happening to you ?

If you answered yes to one or more of those and you STILL belong ?

Well - they got ya. o_O

How does that make you feel ?

You can lash out at folks for pointing it out or - it could be the first day of the rest of your life not being a mark.

8. chris m.

chris m. Friend of Leo's

He's hosed for eternity. If he stays in, they send him piles of stuff. If he quits, they will still send him piles of stuff, maybe forever,
    hoping to bring him back into the fold. At least if he stays in he gets the free beer-cozy or tote bag or whatever. The only other options are
    to a) move with no forwarding address or b) die.

9. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

Cold dead hands!

10. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Tele-Holic

Feb 3, 2017
    Foat Wuth, Texas
    Hey dogwatermike....if you're interested in cremation, (cheap)...I'm looking into donating my body (only after death) to a local medical school. After they're done with it (18-24 months) they cremate your body and return ashes to the family....there is a $225 cremation fee, but still, that's a bargain! Who knows?....your body might help train the future doctor that saves your grandson's life.....

dogwatermike likes this.

11. soulgeezer

soulgeezer Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 5, 2006
    Sinatra's World
    There pricing is all MAP (i.e. "minimum advertised price," as set by the manufacturer/distributor). Therefore, they are exactly the same price as everybody else. That's why they try to entice you with levels of "service" that approach harassment.

12. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

They send you junk mail offering you deals on your own cremation?!

13. soulgeezer

Nov 5, 2006
    Sinatra's World
    Yep, the free gear bag is what sets 'em apart from Scientology!

14. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity

Nov 9, 2008
    Detroit
    That and (by comparison) Scientology's far more believable tenets...

Wayne La Hubbard ?

L Ron La Pierre ?

Bipolar carnival barker ?

15. soulgeezer

Nov 5, 2006
    Sinatra's World
    Not going there. Please don't you, either. That's a discussion we are not allowed to have here.

16. Bluesdriver

Bluesdriver TDPRI Member

Oct 18, 2010
    USA
    Anyone that thinks technology is going to take the place of paper hasn't tried to wipe their hind end with an ipad.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2017
    Anode100 likes this.

17. Boomhauer

Boomhauer Friend of Leo's

Aug 18, 2013
    Michigan
    My dad was a member of the NRA (well, still is) and a few other related "clubs," and yes, he gets tons of junk mail from 'em, but for a small yearly fee, he'll get gear to demo and try out (and keep!). He's gotten anything from fresh new boots, to a couple sweet knives, to a really nice gun cleaning mat.

I myself have signed some political petitions (uh...from the other prevailing party than the organizations listed above), and also get lots of email and junk mail from them, asking for money.

18. BuckSatan

BuckSatan Tele-Meister

Feb 23, 2011
    USA
    So how was the stir-fry?

19. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Tele-Holic

May 5, 2015
    Alaska
    The stir fry disappeared for a week, made my kid cry then came back skinny and pushy. I'm sure he'll be delicious.

BuckSatan likes this.

20. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 13, 2013
    Initech, Inc.
    As soon as you donate, you're a marked man. If you're willing to ga be some, you're likely to be willing to give a big more.
    I won't say which organization because politics, but to answer your question, yes.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.