Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Question for NRA (and maybe other organization) members

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by soulgeezer, Sep 28, 2017.

1. soulgeezer

soulgeezer Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 5, 2006
    Sinatra's World
    Do you ever wonder whey you're giving them money, when it seems like all they do is use that money to send endless streams of junk mail asking for yet more money?

I swear, not a single day goes by that I'm not receiving some kind of junk mail (in real life; actual, paper mail, not the digital variety, though I get that, too) from the NRA or one of its ten thousand sub-organizations asking for money for this cause or that whatever.

Is it really so cheap for big organizations like this to send fifteen tons of snail mail every freakin' day that they realize some benefit, even though I'm sure 99.998% of it goes straight into the garbage?

TDPRI doesn't waste its money sending me multi-page solicitations for cash. (It just puts that "Ad-free Member" under the avatar of those of us who pay, thereby shaming me every time I log on!)

Is this just an NRA thing, or do other organizations of which you are a paid member do it, as well?

troy2003, dr_tom and 3-Chord-Genius like this.

2. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Apr 2, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ

3. Bristlehound

Bristlehound Tele-Holic

Jan 4, 2017
    Wales
    I don't know about North America, but over here in the UK Mrs Hound and I support a few charities and it really annoys me when they phone me up and ask me to give them more... and keep going after I say "no". Grrrr.

4. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    Recycling bins full of donation requests could be considered brand recognition.
    If an organization wants you to donate to save baby zebras, then they need to send money to wherever the zebras are.
    But if an organization only needs to promote the idea that "IT" is important, then maybe those "endless streams of junk mail" are the organizations primary purpose.

Piggy Stu and Teleterr like this.

5. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Tele-Holic

May 5, 2015
    Alaska
    Tons and tons of it, and they all do it. NRA, Boy Scouts, Little League, Musician's Friend (ha). It's already sorted for trash before we get back from the mailbox.

What's hard to believe is that the benefit cost is worth it for any organization to inundate us through snail mail with all these expensive mailers that we ignore. That's my question: You send out 1,000 pieces of mail, how many turn into a sale? Three? .0005? None of this stuff informs my opinion of the organization, I get that info elsewhere.

The insidious stuff is the mailers we are signed up for unbeknownst to us. We got a cat from our local shelter a while ago and soon after started getting all these glossy mailers from animal rights organizations. The only thing I can think of is that when we filled out the mountain of paperwork and took the solemn oath that we wouldn't use the cat for a stir fry dish that we somehow agreed to share our address with these groups.

dr_tom likes this.

6. joealso

joealso Tele-Meister

Dec 25, 2012
    East Haddam, CT
    The money goes towards salaries, marketing and, above all, lobbying. Depending on where you live, there's a good chance some of that money went to the campaign funds of your local congressman or senator.

7. gitold

gitold Friend of Leo's

Mar 25, 2009
    Greeley Co.
    I just received a catalog from Sweetwater that was as thick as a phone book. Since I rarely use them I wonder how many they sent out. It went in the recycle bin after I thumbed through it for a few mins. I can understand the little GC flyers but this thing had 100s of pages.

8. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

I have this problem with the Sierra Club and the Nature Conservancy.

The Nature Conservancy is more effective in some locations, than others. But they will not let you relocate to a different chapter, and so I've stopped sending money for at least 5 years now. I don't want to do more stuff in Louisiana - they don't care. I guess I am the permanent, personal property of the Louisiana Chapter of the Nature Conservancy - their indentured servant or something.

Anyway, when I get these calls and letters and e-mails, I just send more money instead to a tiny organization called American Whitewater. AW, with allies, forces the dam operators to grant access to the public and to have many scheduled water releases, in exchange for their getting relicensure. AW are big enough to make real things happen but too small to waste much money. We build safe places for people to get on and off the rivers (for boating, fishing, photography, access to public lands) and we go and talk to adjacent landowners in person and listen to them for as long as they care to speak - and often gain their trust and so they aren't so upset to see a small kayak pass on a stream behind their cabin.

+

I would respect the NRA more if they changed their name to match their current circumstances. I recommend The National Handgun Manufacturers Association - people who are just gun enthusiasts should be Associate members because that's how they get treated by the big shots at the top of the chart. Gun owners have no input - they just don't know it. It is one thing when an organization is wasteful and inefficient in pursuing the stated objectives of the organization - it is adding insult to injury when they have ulterior motives and have been hijacked by those with an entirely different priorities.

+

I remember my girlfriend being gulled into joining one organization that was supposed to protect animals some kind of way. Anyway, the org misspelled her name, and thereafter she was inundated with piles and piles of junk mail carrying the misspelled version of her name. Here, years later, it still filters through somehow.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2017
    tery and Telecasterless like this.

9. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity

Nov 7, 2009
    Kansas City, MO
    There are and have been many organizations that can manage to retain original tenets and intents. Some suffer growing pains in which they must evolve as a means to even exist and the original means, methods and intents change.

When they turn into an annoyance and a distorted version of the original it's time to leave them.

boris bubbanov likes this.

10. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Friend of Leo's

Apr 3, 2015
    Winchester, VA
    Absolutely! I remember the NRA offering hats, leather coats, etc. I was like, stop wasting my hard-earned money on this crap! If I wanted a coat, I'd buy a coat.

boris bubbanov likes this.

11. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    In before the lock, but not a problem here. They all must have a difficult time finding our mailbox.

12. soulgeezer

Nov 5, 2006
    Sinatra's World
    Just a quick reminder that this thread is about junk mail and the supposed return on investment it generates.

Someone mentioned Sweetwater above. That is a perfect example, as I've purchased exactly one thing from them EVER, yet I get 200-page catalogs and regular phone calls from "my rep" pretty much every month.

I don't understand how they haven't incurred a loss, considering the only thing I bought from them cost under $20. Is that really a sustainable business model?

But, I'm not a paid member of Sweetwater, so it really isn't as spot-on an example as I thought...

I'm asking about organizations that you send in dues to be a member every year. I guess I'm wondering if the money couldn't be put to better use than begging somebody whose already a member for more, more, more.

dr_tom likes this.

13. brogh

brogh Super Moderator Staff Member

Jun 26, 2010
    italy
    the only ad mails i'm getting are from a couple of music sites that i've used in the past, but it's very limited, like a couple of emails now and then.

I don't use amazon that much but i get many emails from them.

You know that you can ask to be unsubscribed right ?

I rarely join associations and if i do i'll be certain to pick the right ones which usually don't pester with money requests.

14. uriah1

uriah1 Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Feb 12, 2011
    Around
    Yea..Marketing, marketing..
    They sell your name and your email
    AAA, AARP, FishAmerica, etc, etc
    Some guitar mags..

15. unixfish

unixfish Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free + Supporter

Apr 20, 2013
    Northeast Ohio, USA
    My wife joined AARP when she turned 50, and quickly let the subscription lapse. They have not stopped bombarding us ever since.

My youngest is graduating from High School this year. 3 to 5 college mailings per day come to him.

I may need to reinforce the mail box.

16. Despres

Despres Tele-Holic

Aug 14, 2012
    Northeast again
    I'm not a member of any organizations, but over the years I've ordered from a few motorcycle/automotive vendors (JP Cycles and LMC Truck come to mind) that would send a catalog the size of a phone book every couple of months for years after my last order. I don't understand how that possibly makes economic sense, especially since every interaction I had with any of them was through their website...

17. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 9, 2011
    Philadelphia, PA

All these nonprofits' tax forms are public. Sierra Club spends a larger % on fundraising than American Whitewater, but American Whitewater has more overhead for administrative costs than Sierra Club, as a % of revenues... over 10x more actually

18. soulgeezer

Nov 5, 2006
    Sinatra's World
    Whatever happened to the "paperless society"? Wasn't that the "great promise" of modern technology and the computer age?

Seems like more trees are being killed than ever. And, spam. So, now it's not just twice as bad -- It's a thousand times worse!

Entropy, anybody?

telemnemonics and JuneauMike like this.

19. soulgeezer

Nov 5, 2006
    Sinatra's World
    I've never heard of anybody successfully unsubscribing" from Sweetwater mailings. I'm sure many have tried. I'm equally sure they reside in nice, soft, white rooms now... ;) :p

20. brogh

brogh Super Moderator Staff Member

Jun 26, 2010
    italy
    i unsubscribed successfully from many services, i don't usually use the unsubscribe button but contact them directly asking to be unsubscribed as no more interested.

they are obligated to remove you, I did that the other day for a online services website.

nobody put me in a looney bin up to know .. oh wait .. the room i'm in is all white .. :eek:;):lol: ....who cares... twin and teles are at hand .. i'm good :D

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.