Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Question for Fuzz Face experts

Discussion in 'Burnt Fingers DIY Effects' started by coldengray, Jan 3, 2019.

1. coldengray

coldengray Tele-Meister

Sep 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    I have been eyeing this Fuzz Face
    PCB from Aion FX:

https://aionelectronics.com/project/solaris-fuzz-face/

My question is this: can I substitute Silicone for Germanium without any other changes? The Project Overview says you can build the pedal with Ge or Si but the build docs don’t mention Si anywhere. I’m a total rookie at this stuff so I have no idea. Thanks!

2. luckett

luckett Friend of Leo's

Jun 14, 2011
    You can swap si and ge, but you may have to make changes to get it to bias the same.

3. Suproman

Suproman Tele-Meister

Feb 23, 2006
    Ottawa, ON, Canada
    Looking at the schematic, they have a trimpot on the board to adjust the bias for the second transistor, so you might be ok with silicon or germanium transistors.

coldengray likes this.
  4. sirbergersworth

sirbergersworth Tele-Meister

Aug 30, 2011
    St. Louis, MO
    All depends on if the ge it si are both pnp or npn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. sirbergersworth

sirbergersworth Tele-Meister

Aug 30, 2011
    St. Louis, MO
    What board are you building it on?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. coldengray

coldengray Tele-Meister

Sep 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Aion FX Solaris Fuzz. It has all the tweaking knobs I want for a fuzz face and I have a bag of BC109C transistors here ready to roll. I have a good Germanium Fuzz Face already so want to build the ultimate Si Fuzz Face for my needs.

7. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Friend of Leo's

Aug 10, 2018
    In space with Ziggy
    I miss my favourite Fuzz Face pedal. It was one of the older large red germanium versions that just stopped working after plugging into it the wrong way around one day. Guessing it fried something although I don't understand why that would happen.

There are a few hand wired clone micro boards available on ebay using vintage components. Might be worth buying one and dropping it in the pedal as a replacement. At $50 bucks it seems like a decent option.

8. awasson

awasson Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver
    BC109C’s are a nice transistor for a Fuzzface. I’ve got them in one of mine and I like it a lot.

9. Suproman

Suproman Tele-Meister

Feb 23, 2006
    Ottawa, ON, Canada
    I would suggest installing sockets for the transistors, then you can try them out and select the ones that sound best to you.

zippofan and awasson like this.
  10. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 9, 2011
    Philadelphia, PA
    "Project overview

The Solaris Fuzz project is the ultimate clone of the Dallas-Arbiter Fuzz Face, one of the most ubiquitous effects in the DIY and boutique effect landscape. While the original Fuzz Face is a very simple circuit, many modifications have been made in the nearly 50 years since it was first introduced.

This PCB will allow you to build with germanium or silicon transistors (or a hybrid like Joe Gagan’s Easy Face), positive or negative ground, the original two knobs or as many as five. It also incorporates an optional charge pump, allowing you to use a standard 9v center-negative power supply while still using PNP germanium transistors."

Don't do the optional charge pump for PNP transistors.

11. memiller

memiller TDPRI Member

Jan 9, 2019
    Texas
    The FF circuit is simple but super finicky when it comes to getting the "classic" FF tone. The issue you run into is that Si transistors are just way higher gain than Ge. This can lead to a harsher than desired tone, but depending on a number of other factors may be perfectly fine. As long as you're cool with that... yeah, swap away. Like the guy above said, socket the things so you can swap a few in and out.

The other issue is adjusting the bias since Si and Ge need different juice buuuuut it looks like this PCB incorporates a lovely little bias knob so you have absolutely nothing to worry about. This is actually a pretty straightforward and difficult to screw up build. Neat.

coldengray likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.