Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Question: fitting a neck/correct scale length?

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by ruger9, Sep 1, 2017.

1. ruger9

ruger9 Poster Extraordinaire

Dec 31, 2004
    Hackettstown, NJ
    Building my first partscaster. I have a Schecter tele body, that was from a whole guitar, so the hardtail bridge (not a traditional tele bridge) is already installed in the "correct" position. But I'm putting a Squier neck on it. I'm guessing (yikes) that simply installing the neck (of course fitting it well), with the heel up against the neck rout will yield good enough intonation to then fine-tune with the bridge saddles?

I'm asking because... I'm going to have to re-drill the neck holes, I think. No biggie, but the neck has to be in the RIGHT place before I drill new holes. I know how to measure scale length... my question really is, measuring from the 12th fret to the saddles, what benchmark should I use to end that measurement? With one of the saddles adjusted to around the middle of it's travel range? Or...?

2. voodoostation

voodoostation Tele-Afflicted

May 10, 2007
    Midlothian, Va
    That's what I would do at first.

3. Vespa_One

Vespa_One Tele-Meister

Feb 14, 2017
    United States
    I measure on the high E side with the high E saddle nearly all the way forward. All the other saddles will be back from that. I am no expert but I have built several guitars and thats how I did it.

4. Old Tele man

Old Tele man Tele-Afflicted

May 10, 2017
    Tucson, AZ
    Notice how much the 'current' hard mount bridge assembly is SLANTED because of the somewhat limited fore/aft saddle adjustment range which changes with the string gauges!

Also notice that those same saddles can be rotated around for a little extra fore/aft adjustment range.

So, what type bridge/saddles are you using? Fender or Gibson style assembly; ie: Fender as hardtail, or Gibson as stud posts?

5. ruger9

Dec 31, 2004
    Hackettstown, NJ
    Fender style- probably Gotoh?

body.jpg

6. Old Tele man

May 10, 2017
    Tucson, AZ
    Gotoh is what I have on my Tele.

Set the treble E1 string intonation length first; then, check the bass E6 string intonation screw to see that it's NOT so far back that it's almost contacting the backing plate...meaning you have NO more lengthening ability.

What gauge strings do you plan on stringing it with?

If they will be "close" to 11-48, I'm seeing the bass E6 saddle about 3/16" set back from the treble E1 saddle.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2017

7. trev333

trev333 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Is the Schecter body made for a 25 1/2 " scale length, originally?.....

8. ruger9

Dec 31, 2004
    Hackettstown, NJ
    10-52

Yes. As is the neck I bought- Squier Tele.

9. trev333

trev333 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

this is a Squier neck... 12th fret to saddles.. on the last tele I made....

tele bridge placement.jpg

ruger9 likes this.

10. Old Tele man

May 10, 2017
    Tucson, AZ
    The Fender 25½" neck should measure slightly more than numerically HALF of the scale length (ie: >12¾") between the 12th fret and the bridge. Why? Because of string stretch during fretting.

trev333's picture above shows the treble E1 string at 12-7/8" distance; so, the bass E6 string should be about (or slightly more) than 13" distance between the 12th fret and the E6 bridge saddle.

Also, the lighter the string gauges, the more progressive each saddle setback will be.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2017

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.