Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Question about sheet music

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by Nightatthehotel, Jun 15, 2013.

1. Nightatthehotel

Nightatthehotel Tele-Holic

Jun 11, 2012
    On a piece of sheet music I was looking at (it was the Ya Ya's version of Stray Cat Blues) and at the beginning during the part that has the rhythm that goes D C G F it said "hold throughout". I have seen "let ring throughout" and I know what this means but I have never seen "hold throughout" before so what does this mean? Please explain...

2. Leon Grizzard

Leon Grizzard Friend of Leo's

Mar 8, 2006
    Austin, Texas
    I bet it means the same thing - let the chord continue to sound as opposed to playing sock chord style, choking them off, unless there is a note or couple of notes you can hold down throughout the whole time, which I have a hard time imagining.

3. Thinlineggman

Thinlineggman Tele-Afflicted

Jan 15, 2011
    Oregon City, OR
    It might mean to keep playing the same kind of accent on the notes/chords throughout the section.

It could very well mean to just let the chords ring out as you play, too.

I'd have to see the music to get some context and pull out a better translation.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. AndyLowry

AndyLowry Friend of Leo's

May 1, 2012
    Prescott AZ
    I think it means you're building that chord over and over-- play the D, play the C while the D still sounds, play the G while the first two still sound, et cetera. Very common on keyboards.

6. Lunchie

Lunchie Poster Extraordinaire

Are they strummed chords or are they arpeggios? Without looking at the music and not knowing that song, I would take that as hold the chord until you start the next chord. If they are arpeggios I would assume they want the individual notes ring as long as you can. Even picking up notes on alternative strings when possible to let them ring even longer otherwise known as a harp style.

7. Nightatthehotel

Jun 11, 2012
    They are broken up chords so yeah they are arpeggios...hope that helps

8. Lunchie

Lunchie Poster Extraordinaire

Ok, yeah just let the individual notes ring as long as possible.

9. Nightatthehotel

Jun 11, 2012
  10. Neil_Morgan

Neil_Morgan TDPRI Member

May 15, 2013
    York, UK
    Yep, that's what it means. With single note lines that's sometimes called campanella

11. brewwagon

brewwagon Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 6, 2009
    the delta bc
    A fermata (also known as a hold, pause, a birdseye or cyclops eye, or as a grand pause when placed on a note or a rest) is an element of classical musical notation indicating that the note should be sustained for longer than its note value would indicate. Exactly how much longer it is held is up to the discretion of the performer or conductor, but twice as long is not unusual. It is usually printed above, but occasionally below (upside down), the note that is to be held longer. Occasionally holds are also printed above rests or barlines, indicating a pause of indefinite duration.

by Definition: A fermata is an articulation mark that allows a note or chord to be held for as long as desired. A fermata may also be considered a tempo command.
    A fermata is written upside down below the staff if it affects a lower plane of action or decay

If a fermata is written over a barline, there will be a pause between the measures.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.