Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

question about Joe Barden pickups (how to tell old from new ones?)

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by appar111, Dec 3, 2017.

1. appar111

appar111 Friend of Leo's

Mar 8, 2006
    Ohio
    Hey guys-
    I just picked up a used Fender '52 reissue tele a couple weeks ago and it had Joe Barden pickups in it when I got it. I'm not sure when they were installed, but the bottom of the bridge pickup says "DM 1/06/03".

When did Barden stop making them originally before they started production again? Not sure if I'm going to keep them in the guitar or sell them, and I want to make sure I price them accordingly. I think the new ones go for about $300 for a new set? I've heard the old ones are a little more valuable?

Any wisdom you can bestow on me would be most appreciated-- thanks in advance!

Josh

2. Steve_U1S

Steve_U1S Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Apr 23, 2013
    Toronto, Canada
    So I did a quick bit of research - it appears that the original JBP (Joe Barden Pickups) ended in 2004, and the new entity Joe Barden Engineering arose soon after it seems.

If that date is as expected, by that timeline it was made later in the original Joe Barden days in 2003.

I'll link the article - it's a Music Zoo interview with the President of JBE, from 2009 (and in it he says that JBE is about 4 years old...)

I'm a fan; most of my Teles and T-Types have Bardens in them (JBE ones).

Hope this helps with the dating aspect.
    I'm guessing 'DM' is the initial marking of the person inspecting/finalizing that pickup.

As for value... I couldn't say.

https://www.themusiczoo.com/blogs/news/inside-joe-barden-engineering-exclusive-interview

3. appar111

appar111 Friend of Leo's

Mar 8, 2006
    Ohio
    Thanks for the info, Steve!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.