Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Question about Garcia's Alligator strat

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by televiking, Nov 5, 2008.

1. suave eddie

suave eddie Tele-Holic

Feb 28, 2009
    Great White North
    Wow........In all the Dead shows I saw during this era, I never saw Bobby play a Les Paul, or Phil play an EB Gibson Bass.

2. aegert

aegert Tele-Meister

Nov 25, 2009
    long island, n.y.
    There are great pics of Bobby playing a white tele from Central park 1968 Jerry was playing a 58 gold top too.. I have an original photo of that hanging in my office. Ill try to remember to get it up here

The Strat you see there is what Jerry used while the alligator get the alembic bridge mods.

I will have a bunch of dyes next week. If anyone wants a new baffle for there amp let me know.. for typical black face baffle with dye will take 2-3 weeks email me for a price. I will be able to part with 3 of the 10 dyes coming.

I have 1 alembic and 1 stars guitars (same thing) bridges as well. One is un-cut the other has string grooves. Only have one sustainer block. if anyone is interested email me.

I was thinking of doing a service to:
    1) put a stratoblaster in a strat ( under brass ring and standard jack plate)
    2) Shield the whole guitar including PU covers
    3) change out pots to Mil

If there is major interest I will build the stratoblaster boards. Have to lay it out and fab. If I do I guess I would offer them separate ... There is a great buffer from Wald elct you could check out but that is more of a modern garcia buffer/ boost pre.. Mike is great get to him. He might have the stratoblaster done..

Many projects no time LOL

3. aegert

aegert Tele-Meister

Nov 25, 2009
    long island, n.y.
    Got the amp up and running . It is stupid quiet after much fiddling. Vibrato channel is creamy with the rca grey plates 12ax7a in V2 and v4. I have a GE 12at7 in the PI and a phillips Jan 12at7 in teh reverb driver v3 slot. The power tubes are currently winged C SED 6l6gc's but Drum roll.....

A NOS matched quad Sylvania STR387's are on there way HEE HEE HEE HEE :-D

It already has the compressed throaty tone.. That's with Jensen p12n's not the JBL d120f's I will put in on Monday!!!!! Forget it.. This amp kills Cream Dream

[​IMG]

You know that sound He had well its almost complete!

This old chassis gave bunches of problems but now I could get this right in my sleep.. I have to document with pics I know.. I have 10 dyes. I ordered a new baffle so the tye dye front will have to wait until that comes. I am not ripping the grill off of an original 66' baffle. ;-)

I got a Red Knob Furman RV-1 spring Reverb the other day. It is a real spring Reverb originally made by Janet Furman. She did all the mods to Jerry's amps at Alembic. Her Company Furman became huge. In fact you wont see a rack without one of their power products. Jerry used here stuff in his rack circa 75- . I will test it tonight with the pre out of the normal channel of the twin into a 100W tube mono Block.

[​IMG]

FUN FUN FUN

4. mattdean4130

mattdean4130 Tele-Afflicted

That is the ugliest guitar i've ever seen!

5. ASC67

ASC67 Friend of Leo's

Jul 3, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN.
    Really :eek:

6. aegert

aegert Tele-Meister

Nov 25, 2009
    long island, n.y.
    To some maybe.. This guitar is either the most famous and influential or must reviled guitar in the world.

This is the guitar that spawned the whole 70's guitar customization world. There would be no guitar pre's, active PU's, replacement parts market no Leo Quann, mighty mite any of it.. You wouldn't be on these forums probably if not for this guitar.

It is Genesis for the modern guitar market. Love it or leave it....

It ain't supposed to be pretty .. It was a testing lab... Eddies Frankenstrat was not pretty either... Blackie is a mess, Macauber is plain nasty... Jeff Beck's esquire is a joke...

Like those?

A

7. beach bob

beach bob Friend of Leo's

Jan 31, 2008
    South Florida
    Aegert, please ship Alligator to Jeff ASAP as I will be taking my 17yo to see DSO this Friday at the Delray Beach Garlic Festival. My boy never saw Jerry, but he loves the current amalgams of The Dead / Further / Ratdog / JGB / BK3 / Seven Walkers / etc. etc. and has seen almost all of these live.

So, yeah, if you could do that for us, that would be great :D

I KEED! Thanks for your sharing your talents and your hard won knowledge of all things 70s Jerry tone. May the Tone Quest force continue to be with you ;) I'll be thinking of you some this Friday night, whatever era show the DSO fellas decide on...

8. aegert

aegert Tele-Meister

Nov 25, 2009
    long island, n.y.
    :)

Just got a set of NOS sylvania 6l6gc's, ge12at7, rca12at7,rca12ax7a's, :)

Look familiar?

[​IMG]

9. aegert

aegert Tele-Meister

Nov 25, 2009
    long island, n.y.

10. beach bob

beach bob Friend of Leo's

Jan 31, 2008
    South Florida

11. 62 Jazzmaster

62 Jazzmaster Friend of Leo's

I'm not a big Grateful Dead fan, but I have utmost respect for the time and thought that you've invested in recreating one of Jerry's guitars.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2011

12. Agitator

Agitator Friend of Leo's

Nov 22, 2010
    In transit
    Well the funny thing is (not to disparage the project in any way!) it's really not one of his 'iconic' guitars to the majority of Deadheads, I'd bet. Iconic guitars = Tiger, Wolf, and the one with the dancing skeleton, in that order. This one was played on an iconic tour, but I'm pretty sure that most of the Deadheads I know (= lots) would say "Alligator what now?"

Personally, I think that makes the project even cooler, because it's such a (relatively) obscure guitar in Jerry's career.

13. aegert

aegert Tele-Meister

Nov 25, 2009
    long island, n.y.

I would disagree It is the Iconic tone from probably his most Iconic period. Its not disparaging either. :) Its all cool and opinion..

Here are a couple of really poorly played Jerry licks I did with the Guitar , The twin reverb and the 2x12 JBL cab

[MP3]http://www.motb.org/twin.licks.mp3[/MP3]

14. KCJonez

KCJonez Tele-Holic

Feb 3, 2011
    Toronto
    I disagree, too. I think most dead fans know about all about Jerry's strat and, though tiger and wolf are instantly recognizable and more iconic, for my tastes, the best dead music was made using the strat. I may be wrong as I'm no authority, but I'm 95% positive that the europe 72 shows right through fall/winter 73 were done on the strat and those Oct-Dec 73 grateful dead concerts are the absolute pinnacle for me. Just another bit of ammo supporting the argument that no one makes guitars like Fender.

ps. Aegert, I dug the He's Gone

15. xStonr

xStonr Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Jun 26, 2005
    W. Palm Beach
    I was at that show. We drove down from Philadelphia to see it. I didn't film it, but the mamaries won't be forgotten.

16. Jon S.

Jon S. TDPRI Member

Mar 16, 2003
    Obviously there are extremely knowledgeable folks who have posted in this thread. Perhaps you can help me identify this bridge. I copped it a couple of years back off of eBay. The seller advertised it as an Alembic prototype. I had no idea at the time if that was true but I put in a low bid and to my surprise won the auction so FBOW it's mine. I'm wondering now if I should give it a shot on my Strat-style axe?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

P.S. In the spirit of the thread - my two Jerrycasters (handbuilt [on left] and assembled [on right - Warmoth body and neck]) by Phil Jacoby. www.philtone.com

[​IMG]

17. aegert

aegert Tele-Meister

Nov 25, 2009
    long island, n.y.
    Sure looks alembic. It could also be a stars bridge but they are really the same. That has much more play in the saddles than the other bridges I have. It looks to be a might bit more than the original stars and alembics which only had the screw as the post through the saddle. This has another bar for each saddle as well. There will be no rocking on those saddles :) It would work well on the longer scale of a strat.. I would strat with a non drilled hard tail body and sink the Brass tone bar into the body. with that bridge you will either need to shim and angle the neck or build a neck pocket that will raise the neck up a bit. Get a really light 1 pc ash body... Have fun with it

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.