Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Question about fixing output jack on Gibson 2015 Special

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Charlemagne13, Oct 2, 2017.

1. Charlemagne13

Charlemagne13 TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

Jun 12, 2017
    Somerville, MA
    These guitars come with an output jack that has two contacts for the tip instead of one, and I have read of others experiencing issues with them as well. I encountered the same thing (really loud buzz if I would touch the cable at all)so I replaced it with a regular 1/4" mono jack that only has a single contact for the tip. This seems to solve the problem of the loud buzz whenever I move the cable around but now I have another issue.

Whenever I take my hands off the strings I get some buzz that becomes quieter once I touch them. I've heard that this might be a grounding issue and I have tried to troubleshoot it but nothing seems to work. I looked at the wire Gibson had run from the PCB to the output jack and it looks like they have the ground come from the connector on the board > soldered to metal shielding on the cloth push-back wire that carries the signal > then the shielding was pulled apart and made into the shape of a wire to connect to the sleeve lug on the output jack.

When I put the new jack in I soldered it the exact same way the other one was in there and now somehow it isn't grounded. I even un-soldered and re-soldered to make sure the connection was good. Still isn't working. I am just wondering what else I might try to fix it.

2. Crawldaddy

Crawldaddy Tele-Meister

Dec 12, 2006
    Singapore
    You might want to trace the ground wire for the bridge. This usually takes the form of a wire that connects up the stop tail lug to the volume pot casing.

[​IMG]

3. Charlemagne13

Charlemagne13 TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

Jun 12, 2017
    Somerville, MA
    Hmmm, that sounds like a good idea. I noticed when I opened it up that there was a bare wire coming through a hole in the side of the control cavity that goes to its own connector on the PCB. I assume this goes up to the bridge. Should I run a continuity test on that wire in the control cavity and the bridge? If those aren't connected is the next step to remove the bridge and try to connect them?

I really don't like these pcb electronics in guitars, it's difficult to tell where something is going wrong. I may just have to take it in for repair.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.