Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Question about echoplex pedal marketing decisions

Discussion in 'Pedal/Effects Owners Clubs' started by itsGiusto, Aug 26, 2018.

1. itsGiusto

itsGiusto TDPRI Member

Dec 31, 2017
    Why is it that companies ended up releasing "echoplex preamp" pedals with circuits far more complicated than the actual echoplex preamp? This is the Xotic EP Booster schematic:

[​IMG]

By contrast, here's (approximately) the actual echoplex preamp schematic:
    [​IMG]

One would think it'd be a lot simpler and cheaper to produce the real thing, as opposed to something much bigger that probably sounds different anyway. Why'd they do this, yet market it as an echoplex preamp pedal?

2. jimilee

jimilee Tele-Holic

Dec 19, 2017
    Chattanooga
    Pedal makers don’t like to clone pedals identically. They like to tweak the circuit for more options typically. That way they’re not just copying a circuit and being labeled as JHS.
    Also, the original looks to be 18v and the clone looks to be 9v

3. itsGiusto

itsGiusto TDPRI Member

Dec 31, 2017
    It just seems silly to me that if they want to advertise something with "our product is an echoplex preamp section", they should actually do that, instead of selling something completely different. Otherwise they should just build whatever they want and call it something else. It seems completely deceptive the way that it is.

The original is actually 22 volts. Their clone is advertised as being able to run at 9 or 18.

4. E5RSY

E5RSY Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 5, 2009
    Georgetown, TX
    So, how does the competing Dunlop Echoplex Preamp pedal stack up to the original diagram? I'm curious.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2018

5. itsGiusto

itsGiusto TDPRI Member

Dec 31, 2017
    Yeah, I've wondered the same thing a bunch, but I don't know. It doesn't seem like anyone has transcribed the schematic yet. I think I remember Dunlop billing it as "authentic", and I know some musicians who have played that and the real echoplex and say the Dunlop one is tantamount to the real deal, but that doesn't really prove too much.

Whatever, though, I just found the echoplex preamp vero here and built one myself in no time:
    http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.com/2014/05/a-pair-o-preamps-echoplex-and-tillman.html
    It sounds great, though I'm still waiting on the J202s I ordered to arrive (I used some other Jfet for the meantime). It's such a simple circuit, there's no need to buy it from any dealer, really.

6. E5RSY

E5RSY Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 5, 2009
    Georgetown, TX
    I think they billed it as having "authentic" sound back in 2014(?). Not sure about the circuit. One definite thing about the Dunlop that is more authentic is the fact that it's only 10-11 dB of boost.

7. RockerDuck

RockerDuck Friend of Leo's

Jan 29, 2010
    Marietta,GA
    Well the EP booster is a preamp and boost circuit. The echo plex that I used in the 70's did not boost. It was a delay that had a preamp. All the preamp had to do was raise the signal of the delay to match the input impedance. The Dunlop preamp does the same thing. It is a subtle effect.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.