Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Queen II vs Styx II

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by Phrygian77, Nov 10, 2017.

1. Phrygian77

Phrygian77 Tele-Holic

Apr 30, 2016
    Crawfordville, FL
    Finally got around to listening to Queen II. Is it just me or was early Styx better? I think Styx II blows it away personally. Hell, call it sacrilegious, but I think James and John had better tone than Brian.

2. dlew919

dlew919 Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 6, 2012
    Sydney
    I’m sorry. None of that made sense. I think you meant to say ‘queen II is the greatest 70s rock album ever’. ;)

3. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 16, 2014
    Auburn, California
    Apples and oranges.

I do love me some early Styx. Haven't heard any in a long, long time though; maybe since I was a teenager. Been thinking I want to hear Equniox and Crystal Ball again - man I loved those albums. I remember they did some quadraphonic stuff on Crystal Ball. I thought it was so cool with things bouncing from ear to ear.

Queen was great, musical perfection in it's own way, but for me it has always been winter music.

dlew919 and Phrygian77 like this.

4. Fred Rogers

Fred Rogers Tele-Afflicted

Jun 8, 2013
    Long Island
    IMO Queen II is their best album.

stratoman1, brookdalebill and kkphoto like this.

5. Zepfan

Zepfan Friend of Leo's

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    Totally different bands and usually 2 players are better than 1. By himself, Brian is fantastic, very capable and probably better than either of the other guys on their own. Not saying that James and John weren't good, just not as good. Liked their tone better than Brian though, never was a fan of the super high thin toned guitar sound.

Ranchand23 and dlew919 like this.

6. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Friend of Leo's

Feb 12, 2010
    Jacksonville
    Huh? Styx?

Ummm, just no.

7. 6stringcowboy

6stringcowboy Tele-Afflicted

I liked both bands in their early days but to me Queen ages much better, I can still listen to Queen but Styx, not so much.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2017
    nojazzhere, Slim and kkphoto like this.

8. Macrogats

Macrogats Tele-Meister

May 15, 2017
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Been big fan of both. More so a slight lean towards Queen, but early Styx rocked. First I heard was Crystal Ball album. I had Man of Miracles - thought that was pretty cool, but tbh only ever heard a couple of songs off Styx II. Will have to rustle up a copy for a listen.

Re Queen, first song I remember was Somebody to Love. I had heard BoRap, but wasn't really gung ho on music then. But I eventually back tracked and got all the Queen stuff up to Jazz, and thought their early stuff was mind blowing! My favourite album was Sheer Heart Attack, but the whole Queen II was incredible.

The "Procession" introduction into "Father to Son" was awesome, followed by the beautiful "White Queen". Love watching them play that live on old clips. I could go on and on about their earlier stuff - brilliant!

Gonna catch me some early Styx later though. Cheers!

6stringcowboy likes this.

9. RLee77

RLee77 Friend of Leo's

May 15, 2016
    Silicon Valley
    Both are excellent, but I don't really know how to compare them; they are too different.
    I've seen Styx so many times, their live shows are so enjoyable. Tommy Shaw, James Young (so good live), Todd S (drummer), so much talent there, and the songs are so classic (for my generation anyway)…
    Queen was over-the-top good, and Brian is one of the most creative guitarists around, but you have to be in the right mood for it.
    As someone already said, apples/oranges, but both amazing.

Phrygian77 likes this.

10. kkphoto

kkphoto TDPRI Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Hilo, Hawaii
    Absolutely no comparison. Queen II is a masterpiece from beginning to end. May's orchestration is without parallel, and deYoung sounds like a carnival barker next to Freddy. Although instantly recognizable, May plays with a huge range of tones, from woody, almost oboe like voices, to ethereal singing, to balls out rock. All from one guitar. Plus Roger Taylor is one of the most unappreciated voices in rock.

I saw Styx in 1979, they put on a fun show, but fall neatly into the "for the life of me I don't remember why I liked them so much back in high school" camp. (With a capital CAMP!)

11. kkphoto

kkphoto TDPRI Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Hilo, Hawaii
    Amen, however it depends on the day. Some days it's Queen II, some days it's Sheer Heart Attack!

Fred Rogers likes this.

12. abrianb

abrianb Tele-Meister

Mar 5, 2014
    Indiana
    Says someone who hangs out on a Telecaster website?

13. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Friend of Leo's

Apr 3, 2015
    Winchester, VA
    Styx did a great song called "Queen of Spades". Well, it was great until Dennis DeYoung ruined it at the end with his stupid, "hahahaha.. you lose!" I think it was supposed to sound sinister, but it sounded silly.

14. RLee77

RLee77 Friend of Leo's

May 15, 2016
    Silicon Valley
    No, he didn't. Understandable if you prefer Freddy, but Dennis had amazing vocal chops as well, don't have to insult one to compliment the other, although I get that you were just trying to make a point.
    Freddy is my #1 pick for best rock vocals ever, maybe with Steve Perry after that… but obviously it's very subjective.

15. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    I saw Queen when they were touring to support Queen II.
    They were unforgettable.
    Styx is/was a highly skilled band too, BUT Queen is/was a three piece band with an absolutely astounding front man.
    Styx is a five piece rock band with two guitarists and keys, and a couple of lead singers.
    Indeed apples and oranges.
    I saw Queen when I was a sophomore in high school, and I wasn't even into them, till I saw them live.
    OMG!
    They sounded amazing, and FM was mesmerizing!
    Anyways, I respectfully take the opposite opinion.

16. Lucky Day

Lucky Day Tele-Afflicted

Feb 24, 2014
    Vancouver, WA
    I hate that this is an either/or thing from the OP. Really they both have a stellar body of work but with a bit of different genre, although *similar*. I always felt that DeYoung kind of wanted to be a Freddie type front man, and to be fair he had outstanding vocal chops.
    I am definitely a much bigger Queen fan, but I actually play in a Styx tribute band and there is some really great music there.
    Music appeals to us, each for different reasons. With 2 outstanding bands (musicianship-wise) it's strictly a matter of taste.
    For the record, Queen II was really the start of their run up to greatness. It really foreshadowed the unrestrained awesome that is Sheer Heart Attack, which further foreshadowed A Night at the Opera. Those 3 albums are just jaw dropping to me.

17. Lonn

Lonn Tele-Afflicted

Dec 13, 2007
    Indiana
    I've always been a big fan of both bands. Saw Queen live a couple of times in high school in London, saw Styx with Kansas in the mid 90s. Styx was a great show, Queen was an event!

kkphoto, Phrygian77 and brookdalebill like this.

18. ac15

ac15 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

May 9, 2005
    CHICAGO, IL.
    As someone who lives in Styx' hometown and has grown up hearing Styx stories like "they played my prom" or "my cousin is the brother of the guy in Styx" or whatever, while simultaneously rolling their eyes at how cheesy a lot of their stuff is, I'm still amazed anyone outside of Chicago even likes them.

Seems like most of the "cheese" comes from Dennis DeYoung. A buddy of mine played guitar in his band for 25 years, but lost the gig a few years ago.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2017

19. radiocaster

radiocaster Friend of Leo's

Aug 18, 2015
    europe
    Only really liked the first two Styx albums.

20. stratoman1

stratoman1 Tele-Holic

Nov 12, 2016
    Virginia Beach, Va
    I've never heard Styx II but I really like Queen II. Shoot, it's my favorite Queen album

brookdalebill likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.