Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Quad of CTS alnicos

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by JustABluesGuy, Mar 8, 2018.

1. JustABluesGuy

JustABluesGuy Tele-Afflicted

Sep 2, 2016
    Houston, TX
    I’m curious as well. I have seen a lot of reconed CTSs onlne, and not one of them looked original at all, not that it matters if they sound the same, but it makes me skeptical about having them reconed.

2. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    Jensen P10R’s and perhaps P10Q’s in the tweed Bandmaster.

3. JustABluesGuy

Sep 2, 2016
    Houston, TX
    The color in the photo looks a little strange. It may be the light.

4. bparnell57

bparnell57 Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 10, 2014
    Philadelphia, PA
    My favorites. The 6 in my Super Six Reverb keep me from selling it.

My only other favorite speaker in a Super Reverb is the celestion G10L-35. Instant SRV...

JustABluesGuy likes this.

5. schmee

schmee Tele-Afflicted

Jun 2, 2003
    northwest
    I had them done by Orange County Speaker for my '66. They knew how to do them and were done exactly like the originals. Perfect. Unfortunately OCS has stopped doing recones, but their reconer started his own business. They did other speakers for me exactly right also including old Oxfords.
    Here is the contact. http://www.speakerrepairpros.com/home.html
    I have not used him since OC quit so ask questions about "true to original" etc.

I will say this though, 4 x 10 has an effect on the sound. A single speaker that was used in 4 x 10, may not be a sound you like. I went thru this to some extent years ago. Fender and others chose lightweight cheap speakers for their 4 x 10 applications. They end up having huge bass response as 4 x 10, but if you put a single in a cab, it will often be bright, spikey, little bass response and have early breakup.

6. homesick345

homesick345 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 20, 2012
    Beirut, Lebanon
    Oh so true.

I will repeat myself; try a CTS Alnico by itself; & it's all mids

telemnemonics and JustABluesGuy like this.

7. JustABluesGuy

Sep 2, 2016
    Houston, TX
    Thanks for posting the link, but they don’t list CTS as a brand they repair. I wonder if anything close to the original cones are even available.

All of the reconed CTS speakers I have seen so far look quite different that the originals.

telemnemonics likes this.

8. schmee

schmee Tele-Afflicted

Jun 2, 2003
    northwest
    Call him. I would be surprised they are no longer are available , but maybe so... BTW, their site says "Just a few brands we repair.."

bparnell57 and JustABluesGuy like this.

9. JustABluesGuy

Sep 2, 2016
    Houston, TX
    I’ll do that if/when the time comes, thanks!

10. bparnell57

bparnell57 Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 10, 2014
    Philadelphia, PA
    $65 for a 10" cts recone listed.

11. JustABluesGuy

Sep 2, 2016
    Houston, TX

12. Michael A.

Michael A. Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Jan 12, 2013
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Thanks to all the responses to my questions. Based on the comments about the CTS alnico not necessarily sounding good in a 1x10 cabinet, I think I'll look into other speaker options for my cabinet and just sell the CTS or save it as a spare for my own SR.

13. JustABluesGuy

Sep 2, 2016
    Houston, TX
    Glad you got it worked out, but this isn’t actually your thread. You might want to find your original thread and thank them there.

14. Michael A.

Michael A. Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Jan 12, 2013
    Virginia Beach, VA
    You didn't think my inquiry was inappropriate in post #21.

Schmee and Homesick345 provided relevant information above directly in response to my question.

Sorry if I invaded "your" thread, but an active topic about 10" CTS alnicos seemed like a good place to get a lot of responses about reconing these specific speakers, and others will certainly find the link to Speaker Repair Pros to be useful.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
    bparnell57, JustABluesGuy and schmee like this.

15. uriah1

uriah1 Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Feb 12, 2011
    Around
    I heard some reconed 10's once..not the same.

ps.. 1x10 CTS might not be good, but (2) ok. (4) is the bomb.... I paired one once with a HD 10 in vrri that could hold its own.
    I think CTS are 35w..

bparnell57 and JustABluesGuy like this.

16. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    Great price IMO for original cone CTS if they are in good working condition!
    While it's possible somebody has produced a new replacement cone that will reproduce the sound of original cone CTS, I suspect it's not going to happen.
    Reconing one in a quad would be OK.
    I think if I was getting some reconed I'd ask Weber, since they are in the business of installing every imaginable vintage style seamed cone in vintage style frames in pursuit of vintage style sound.

Orange County used to be "THE place" because they had big stocks of all the factory original cones from companies that had stopped making them.
    Once all the kits were gone, "they" became just another quality recone service.
    Nothing against speaker repair pros, but reconing isn't a high skill job, more of a right parts job. Celestion spent years trying to reproduce the old 1777 and 102 003 cones. Scumback (and others) I believe also spent years mixing and pressing pulps trying to nail the old sounds that no new cones in old frames could duplicate.

Totally agree on these speakers being all mids and low mids, they make the only BF/SF Fender sound I really like, aside from the Bassman.

But sadly they wear out, get loose, and die.

I hope they run great!

17. JustABluesGuy

Sep 2, 2016
    Houston, TX
    Relax. I wasn’t chastising you. From the wording of your post is sounded like you were talking about a seperate post you had made.

I wasn’t fussing at you. I was just concerned you might be missing some folks.

18. JustABluesGuy

Sep 2, 2016
    Houston, TX
    I just received them this morning, and so far so good! I am not pushing them very hard yet.

19. JustABluesGuy

Sep 2, 2016
    Houston, TX
    I finally received them this morning and they sound amazing!

uriah1 likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.