Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Q: What's worse that a root canal?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by TheGoodTexan, Dec 6, 2017.

1. Tenderfoot

Tenderfoot Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

May 8, 2014
    Katy, TX
    Coughing after having open heart bypass surgery and going for a number 1 after 6 days on a catheter. I had several root canals, prior to my open heart bypass surgery, and they didn't come close to the pain/discomfort experienced after the open heart surgery, albeit, there might be a little more discomfort during the root canal procedure but recovery is very much quicker.

noah330 and Toto'sDad like this.

2. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    They have probably brought out the drilling rig by now, I hope you do as well as you possibly can and that the procedure is a complete and lasting success.

They used one of these on me last time, that ended up with my tooth being gone. The dentist was a very fair man, he charged me for the original filling, one replacement filling, and the extraction. He said that was about all he could get out of that baby!

upload_2017-12-7_9-32-56.jpeg

3. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Doctor of Teleocity

Apr 28, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    The joke’s on me... there was no root canal done after all.

It’s a long, confusing ordeal, and I’m just about over the whole thing. The short of it is, even though I have no pain or discomfort, they want to do a procedure that has a 15% failure rate... and the correction for the failure is to cut out part of my gum.

No thank you. I’ll wait.

4. Toto'sDad

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    I think you dodged a bullet. The dentist will have to buy his wife a new fur coat out of his own pocket!

Mississippi_Kid and TheGoodTexan like this.

5. Allen Peterson

Allen Peterson Tele-Meister

Sep 15, 2016
    Katy, Texas

6. Toto'sDad

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    I'm pretty sure they don't throw any of that stuff they stick in your mouth away ever. I used to envision them putting all the utensils in a basket and setting the basket in the employees restroom toilet for few hours to sterilize them.

7. Toto'sDad

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    I hope Mississippi kid doesn't take me too seriously. I only report on MY experiences. :D:D

Mississippi_Kid likes this.

8. Toto'sDad

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    I measured the catheter the nurse pulled out of me at just over twenty seven feet six inhes long.

9. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    Austin traffic!:rolleyes:

10. BobbyB

BobbyB Tele-Afflicted

Apparently you haven't had a root canal in years. Now days there is ZERO pain with a good dentist. I didn't even feel the first needle of novocain and had no pain later. AMAZING

Mississippi_Kid likes this.

11. BryMelvin

BryMelvin Tele-Afflicted

Jan 4, 2014
    Arivaca AZ
    Actually they do: I have Tricare (military retiree) and medicare. Neither pays for glasses, hearing aids or dentist.

The VA does pay for my hearing aids, but only because of my hearing loss being service connected.

12. nvilletele

nvilletele Friend of Leo's

Jul 4, 2008
    California
    I'd wager that a Bobbit would be much much more painful than a root canal. Remember, Bobbits are not done with anesthesia.

For those with short memories or of still tender years: Bobbit, as in Lorena.

13. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mar 17, 2003
    Spring City, Pa
    I sometimes gently put my hand on my dentist's crotch and say, "You don't hurt me and I won't hurt you."

14. canuck guy

canuck guy TDPRI Member

Aug 12, 2015
    Alberta
    I've had a lot of tooth problems. If i can give any advice it would be to use a good/best endodontist you can find, not a regular dentist. Regular dentists just can't usually fix it right. Even if you have to pay yourself it's worth the cost. Get references too.

15. noah330

noah330 Tele-Afflicted

Feb 10, 2009
    Maryland
    Worse than a root canal???

GIBSON QC - Those BASTARDS!!!!!!!

Flakey likes this.

16. Mechanic

Mechanic Tele-Afflicted

Lots of nasty examples here. I’ve lost count of my root canals. I discovered my current dentist of 30 years during a Saturday night he was on call. I’d been chewing on ice since Friday looking for relief. My Doc was fresh out of dental school, low man in his clinic and on Call that weekend. No anithiesia, just drill it open to relieve the pressure. Puss explosion, his wife assisted and about gaged from the smell. I still go to him now.

Worse than a root canal? I’d say peritonitis of the bowel. Hospital for a week and a drain and PICC IV for 6 weeks.

17. HotRodSteve

HotRodSteve Friend of Leo's

Sep 24, 2013
    The Hudson Valley
    An apicoectomy. Had one around ten years ago.

18. flathd

flathd Friend of Leo's

Jan 29, 2008
    Twin Cities,MN
    That's easy....whack your thumb with a framing hammer.

I had a root canal a couple years ago. It wasn't all that painful, it just took too long, about 2 hours.

19. jaybones

jaybones Tele-Afflicted

My first molar on the top left side I had RC'ed back about 15 years ago has gone bad.

Dentist I have now said he never does that tooth. Said 10% of his procedures failed, and of those 90% were that tooth. I've had infections twice cleared up with antibiotics. Next step is oral surgery- extraction, bone prep (bone graft and implant), then an artificial tooth.

My dental plan won't cover this ($3000+), so I'm going to try and get by until the next flare up. Find a surgeon who will let me make payments and bite the bullet (pun intended).

No, waking up during it.

Even worse, waking up and realizing you doctor's hands are on your shoulders. Both hands. :eek:

20. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Friend of Leo's

Apr 3, 2015
    Winchester, VA
    The local anesthetic wore off just as they were putting in the final stitch during my vasectomy. It felt like a hot nail going through my bag... I said, "Hey, I feel that..." and the doctor responded, "That's okay, we're almost done." That's okay????

richiek65 likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.