Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Q: What's worse that a root canal?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by TheGoodTexan, Dec 6, 2017.

1. radiocaster

radiocaster Friend of Leo's

Aug 18, 2015
    europe
    Because insurances would actually have to pay for it, and most people would eat up the insurance company's money. Although they'll surely do it if you're prepared to pay 4 to 5 times (I might be underestimating) the regular premium.

bparnell57 and stratofortress like this.

2. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Tele-Afflicted

Aug 24, 2014
    PNW
    When a dentist drills on a tooth without Novocain. You yell, and he nonchalantly replies, "I probably should have left that tooth alone", sans an apology.

And then, you get to write a review on the internet about Dr. Sadist.

3. Flakey

Flakey Friend of Leo's

Setting a fractured femur prior to surgery.

4. jumpnblues

jumpnblues Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    Midwest
    I've had 4 root canals. One was a re-do. Not one bit of pain with any of them.

5. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mar 17, 2003
    Spring City, Pa
    Genocide.
    Nobody mentioned genocide.
    It's worse than root canal.

TheGoodTexan and bparnell57 like this.

6. Blue

Blue Tele-Holic

Jun 15, 2008
    England
    I know the feeling well. Then he says "just relax", oh ok then.

ZackyDog likes this.

7. Doctorx33

Doctorx33 Tele-Holic

Jun 8, 2014
    atlanta
    Sorry, no.

Try having a ten pound tumor removed from your left side, including the two ribs it had engulfed and two more on either side of it "To make sure" they got all of the tumor.

God bless the OP, but there are a lot more things worse than a root canal.

8. zimbo

zimbo Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Jan 15, 2007
    Rochester, NY
    Get a second opinion. It seems unlikely that the infection came back. Root canals are no big deal but paying for them is. Root canals and crowns are your dentist's bread and butter.

9. Recce

Recce Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

May 3, 2016
    Northern Alabama
    Thank you for your service. The reactions to the young men coming home from Vietnam was awful. I appreciate everything you did for our country.

10. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity

Nov 9, 2008
    Detroit

11. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    I have an artificial hip, and can't afford to have any kind of infection. I wrote about it here, but a dentist loused up one of my teeth, then I got an infection, had to be treated for the infection, before he could pull the tooth. I happened to have a doctor's appointment the day before the extraction was scheduled so I asked my doc about the possibility of getting a root canal on the tooth to save it. My doc said, pull the tooth, that's what I did.

As far as pain, that might be worse. I broke my left knee into several pieces showing off on a motorcycle when I was 19 years old. When I got to the hospital, they told me that I needed some very expensive surgery, who was my insurance carrier? When they found out I didn't have insurance they ejected me from the hospital (that probably wouldn't happen in today's world). On the way out, after they loaned me a set of crutches to get out the door, a doctor approached me and said for me to come to his office the next day, and that he would try to treat me. My ex-wife was there to drive me home. That night around 2:00 in the morning, I passed out from the pain, that was pretty painful. Next day, the doc put set my knee, and put a cast on it, that he changed once a week until it healed up, and they gave me some sort of shot to promote the bone's healing every time they changed the cast. My leg did get well, I realize now, I could have lost my leg, but didn't so I'm thankful. I'm even more thankful for the old doc's compassion.

brookdalebill likes this.

12. memorex

memorex Tele-Afflicted

Jan 14, 2015
    Chicago
    Q: What's worse that a root canal?

A: Hemorrhoidectomy

You'll have to trust me on this. I've had both.

Wyzsard, Doctorx33 and zook like this.

13. Mississippi_Kid

Mississippi_Kid Tele-Meister

Aug 5, 2016
    Hinterlands, USA
    (Didn't read all the posts up to here, so sorry if this has already been said.)

I am a dentist. The reasons for needing a root canal (or retreating a root canal) are varied. The dentist usually will give only a brief explanation because they simply don't have time to give an hour long lecture to each patient detailing all the parameters involved for any given case.

That said, I think he/she may have oversimplified the reason "the other dentist didn't get all the nerve". (Blaming the previous person isn't what I like to do.) Even perfectly done endodontics (root canals) have a percentage of failures. The percentage of failures goes up for each year after the root canal was done.

In fact, most (all) dental work done when you are young will have to be replaced at some point in your lifetime...at least once. We in the dental community have done a disservice to patients in using terms like "permanent" fillings or crowns. You don't get permanent paint on your house. You don't get permanent tires on your car. (You don't even get a permanent car.) Everything wears out and breaks over time.

Back to the point...retreated root canals have an even higher rate of failure over time. But we still do them because the only alternative is to remove the tooth and place a bridge or implant. And these procedures in turn have their own failure rate and start their own problems.

So, I use this to stress prevention to patients. Keep your original teeth in good order as long as you can. Each procedure done to a tooth moves it further along the line to ultimate failure (small filling, medium filling, crown, root canal, extraction). It is in your best interest to not initiate this chain of events by use of dental hygiene and diet. Once teeth are started on this conveyor belt of treatment, the best you can do is to try and slow the movement between steps...again, via dental hygiene and diet.

Traumatic accidents of teeth (or any part of the body) of course can leap frog past initial phases and place the patient in situations were all options are less than desirable.

This won't change your situation, but I though you might like to see "behind the curtain" as far as what it is like from the dentist's perspective. I hate it for patients (often young) when they come in with initial trauma. They have no idea that the rest of their life, they will be dealing with (and paying for) the results...even when it was in no way their fault.

14. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    Been down that road. I know it's just part of the deal, the older we get the more like it is trying to keep an old car running. Some of the things I have had done are fillings, crowns, periodontal surgery, that eventually failed and the teeth were lost anyway, teeth bonded together to prop 'em both up, (the bonding prevents proper flossing) deep cleaning, and my lips burned, and permanently scarred from some sort of tool the dentist was torturing me with while admonishing me to shut up, and brace up, that he was nearly done. I used to manage getting through these ordeals, by pretending the dentist was a mad scientist torturing me, and that if I caved in and talked the world would be destroyed.

That dentist moved on suddenly one day after more than ten years of being at his practice, I went in for some scheduled work, and the business was closed with a sign on the door to the effect of, we gone bro. I found a new dentist who immediately mined my wallet for about two grand discovering that my former dentist had left money in my pocket that needed to be extracted. He got my wife for a little less but of course she needed a new crown as soon as she sat down in the chair. Some of the filings new guy put in have fallen out the third time.

One such tooth, in an effort to make sure the filing didn't fall out again, he drilled in too far, and the root became infected, I got an infection that could have hospitalized me because of the risk of infecting my artificial hip. I was treated for the infection, then the tooth was extracted. Everyone in the office lamented the fact that since the tooth was gone, there would no further income from it. Still, I harbor no ill will toward any of the dentist who have had a hand in torturing, and disfiguring me. Why? Because it's called a practice, and you enter at your own risk. I'm always very happy when I have a tooth extracted THAT MEANS THAT TOOTH WILL NOT HURT AGAIN. :lol::lol::lol:

Mike SS and Mississippi_Kid like this.

15. tery

tery Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Sep 21, 2012
    Tennessee
    2 root canals are worse than 1 root canal :D

TheGoodTexan likes this.

16. Mississippi_Kid

Mississippi_Kid Tele-Meister

Aug 5, 2016
    Hinterlands, USA
    Wow...lots of stories like yours, I'm afraid. Dentistry really can be looked at like cars in so many ways (I use that example all the time with people.) And dentists are like mechanics...some are better than others, and some are outright crooks. I'm constantly being asked by family members if what their dentist is telling them sounds legit. Sometimes it is, sometimes not so much. If you find a good dentist, keep them.

esetter and brookdalebill like this.

17. zook

zook Friend of Leo's

Aug 6, 2003
    Cochise, AZ
    If Hell is anything like a Hemmorhoidectomy you want to be very good for the rest of your life.

18. Danjabellza

Danjabellza Tele-Afflicted

Sep 22, 2014
    Pahrump, nv
    Would it be re-root canal, or root re-canal? I could never be an oral surgeon, seems like a boring career...

(Laughing at my own joke)

I am sorry to hear about your dental troubles, I have some dental work that I’m (somewhat deliberately) putting off.

TheGoodTexan likes this.

19. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Doctor of Teleocity

Apr 28, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    Well, you never know in what direction a thread will go after you create it. I was just being humorous with the title, and didn’t expect serious responses such military service during war time, and incurable disease. So please don’t re-read those things back into my title, which was writen before those things were posted. Of course there are plenty of things worse than a root canal, but it is the cliche of many a hyperbolic turmoil... i.e. “I’d rather have a root canal than go to your mother’s house for Thanksgiving.”

By the way, I’m sitting in the waiting room as I type this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.