Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Q: What's worse that a root canal?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by TheGoodTexan, Dec 6, 2017.

1. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Doctor of Teleocity

Apr 28, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    A: A re-root canal.

At the dentist check up last week, the xrays showed infection (or something) in a front tooth that I originally had root canal-ed in 1991. The doc said, "Well, they must not have got all the root back then, cause there's something still left... and we gotta get it out."

This all started in 1987. I was 15. I got my braces off, and two week later I dove into shallow water and cracked several front teeth. No neck damage. I had my front two teeth completely removed in 1991 and anchors put in, and fake teeth installed. Then I had to have all of that redone in 2004.

So... here we go again. I'm expecting them to find more stuff to have to deal with once they get into it. They always do. I haven't had any pain from this at all. Yet.

2. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mar 17, 2003
    Spring City, Pa
    A sharp stick in the ear?
    There is some pretty good evidence pointing to the idea that you should NEVER get a root canal.
    I know one dentist who refuses to do them.
    There are many more.
    Root canals are probably what tonsils were when I was a kid.
    Done frivolously and often.

3. Jim622

Jim622 Tele-Meister

What's worse - Prostrate exam

jackinjax, Flakey and nojazzhere like this.

4. Jimmy Owen

Jimmy Owen Tele-Meister

Apr 2, 2017
    Moravian Falls, NC
    A faculty meeting where I work?

Flakey, dlew919, 1955 and 2 others like this.

5. televillian

televillian Tele-Meister

Oct 3, 2013
    prescott valley az
    myocardial infarction tops my list of unpleasantries

esetter likes this.

6. Oldgitplayer

Oldgitplayer Tele-Meister

Nov 24, 2009
    Brit in Australia
    Root canal work - A method of keeping something dead in your mouth.
    It's impossible to remove all the bacteria with the process that they do. And anyway, bacteria can easily find its way back into the root area - and it does.

charlie chitlin likes this.

7. 3fngrs

3fngrs Tele-Holic

Oct 30, 2017
    Ohio

8. Dacious

Dacious Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    Godzone
    My singing. As Leo Little said, geese farts on a muggy day.

9. blackspider57

blackspider57 TDPRI Member

Mar 10, 2017
    Great Falls Montana
    Whats worse?
    What happens when you don't get a root canal.
    Don't ask................Ouch!!!!!!!

10. TheGoodTexan

Apr 28, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    You mean like, just laying on the floor, face down?

jackinjax, esetter, kelnet and 2 others like this.

11. Frontman

Frontman Tele-Meister

Jul 10, 2014
    Tokyo
    2 root canals?

I've never been bothered much by dentists or dental work. My first time at the dentist was in basic training in the Army. 2 root canals, fillings, and a cap. They shot me up with novocaine, and started working, but I fell asleep during the procedure, and don't remember much about it. In those days I was always at least a week behind in my sleep, and if I laid down anywhere, I would quickly fall asleep. Even a dentist's chair, with the sound of air drills grinding against my teeth.

Now that I think about it, kidney stones are worse than a root canal. Hopefully you'll never have to find that out.

dr_tom and nojazzhere like this.

12. Octorfunk

Octorfunk Tele-Meister

Jan 20, 2014
    Midwest
    Honestly after having talked with my dentist extensively about the possibility of having a root canal, I hear they're not nearly as bad as their reputation these days. I don't know what it was like in the past, but it's a pretty routine procedure that they literally have down to a fairly painless science nowadays. I'm not signing up for one, but if I have to I won't be dreading it.

13. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Tele-Afflicted

Feb 3, 2017
    Foat Wuth, Texas
    I'm not an endodontist, but I can play one on TDPRI if not questioned too closely......but an infection does not indicate the presence of a nerve, which is what is removed during a "root" canal. The fact that you're not experiencing pain is another indication of no nerve present. If you simply have an infection, typical treatment is a course of antibiotics. If infections continue with frequency, then other treatment might be called for, but for the time being I would ask for antibiotics....they're required before any surgery anyway.(if there IS an infection) Is this a NEW dentist? ...or a new practice? Something for anyone to watch for, is that when a doctor or dentist buys or sets up a new practice, they want to recoup their expenses as soon as possible. This is easier to do by a dentist, because they will often claim old fillings and other work must "come out/be re-done" Many new dentists are taking out perfectly good mercury amalgam fillings, just to bill insurance companies and patients. Sorry about your situation, and good luck.

bender66 and dr_tom like this.

14. voodooblues

voodooblues Friend of Leo's

Sep 12, 2012
    Berwyn, Il
    They aren't that bad. I'm 34 and have had enough dental work to last a lifetime, including 5 root canals (one tooth twice). They shoot you full of novacaine so you don't feel anything. That being said, I'm not aiming for a sixth.

15. TheGoodTexan

Apr 28, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    Not a new dentist - I've been going to him for 18 years. And he's not doing the work - he sent me to a specialty endodontist. To support your line of thinking, a similar thing happened to my wife about two years ago - and we went to this same endodontist... who examined my wife and reported that there was nothing wrong. My wife was in and out of the chair in 3 minutes. No charge (of course). So, since I have no pain or discomfort at all, I'm hoping for the same outcome.

nojazzhere likes this.

16. daddyplaysbass

daddyplaysbass Tele-Meister

Mar 19, 2003
    Chandler Arizona
    combat in Viet Nam in 1965 with little support from America.

Wyzsard, Mike SS, Wallo Tweed and 7 others like this.

17. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    Don’t know if it’s worse, but I had an extraction that turned into a sentence.
    I got Bell’s Palsy/nerve damage from a botched extraction.
    The left side of my face is paralyzed.
    My left eye “weeps”, and my nose runs when I eat.
    Charming.
    No dinner dates.
    Can’t kiss, or whistle either.
    I look like Jack Elam.
    Maybe I should get into character acting.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
    william tele and nojazzhere like this.

18. elihu

elihu Poster Extraordinaire

Dec 24, 2009
    Texas
    I think you're in the lead.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.