Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Putting metal flake on without sprayer

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by fofomomo, Jun 9, 2018.

1. fofomomo

fofomomo TDPRI Member

Feb 21, 2011
    us
    I've read the Emeraldcaster thread ages ago, where he sprinkles flakes onto a body and sprays clear coat to get them to stick.

I have a 3/4 sized Tele from musicstore.de (called Jack and something) and I want to do it this way, are there any new developments people have come up with as far as the best way to do this? I'm thinking basically of sanding down the current finish to 220 or so, sprinkling the flakes as carefully as I can, then spraying away, but if good tips have come up since that thread, and I haven't seen them, I'd love to know!

2. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

Sep 14, 2005
    Nueces Strip
    I believe Buck is pretty much the authority here.

3. Finck

Finck Tele-Afflicted

Oct 11, 2017
    São Paulo - Brazil
    You can use one of this guys to let the flakes fall over a tacky paint:

[​IMG]

4. 2blue2

2blue2 Friend of Leo's

Jul 20, 2013
    Island of Oahu
    Lol, I Think that screen is too small.
    I want bigger flakes, full on 70s bass boat stuff.

nov192014012_zpsf134867f.jpg

loopy reed, Kreepy, S-arm and 2 others like this.
  5. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

Sep 14, 2005
    Nueces Strip
    I believe Buckocaster used a parmesan shaker.

2blue2 likes this.
  6. Finck

Finck Tele-Afflicted

Oct 11, 2017
    São Paulo - Brazil
    It was just an example! There are different sizes of mesh, but you got the idea...
    I can affirm it works, I saw my wife using that method a lot of times when doing decorations for children's parties...
    Talking about my wife, I've remembered that glittered crafts spray actually exists, but ain't got a clue about what's the base of the clear (probably acrylic) nor if the stuff is easy to find:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 11, 2018
    2blue2 and nojazzhere like this.
  7. fofomomo

fofomomo TDPRI Member

Feb 21, 2011
    us
    That's so funny, just 2 hours ago I was made aware of those Krylon Glitter Blasts cans, and there's also another thing, Dupli-color Metal Flecks. If you google either, a Youtube video comes up suggesting that the Metal Flecks go on smoother, but don't look as wild, especially after clearing them. The Glitter Blast though apparently go on lumpy, but maybe look better overall it sounds like. Sort of makes sense.

Since posting, I also found out about Roth Metal Flake Rattle Bomb spray cans, which look super cool but aren't shippable to Canada, where I'm at. I'm excited enough about them I may drive over the border sometime to grab some!

https://rothmetalflake.com/

2blue2 likes this.
  8. Finck

Finck Tele-Afflicted

Oct 11, 2017
    São Paulo - Brazil
    I think that you'll probably find a local brand that sells the stuff. Even here in Brazil, where the variety of options are usually limited, we can find some options.

I guess you shouldn't work with too large flakes. You'll need a thick layer of clear to coat and level them. Probably you'll not be able to cover the flakes with lacquer and will be obligated to use 2 components polyurethane or something like that. Finally, maybe the result will appear "out of scale", wanna say, large flakes could be OK on a boat or car, but too exaggerated on a guitar. But it's my opinion only. You guitar, your rules!

9. 2blue2

2blue2 Friend of Leo's

Jul 20, 2013
    Island of Oahu
    Is it possible?

th-7.jpeg

Don't know whose guitar this is, but I like it!

I think your right here and its kind of a bummer that it won't be in rattle cans.

LPTyler likes this.
  10. 2blue2

2blue2 Friend of Leo's

Jul 20, 2013
    Island of Oahu
    Lol this is getting close.

th-18.jpeg

LPTyler likes this.
  11. Finck

Finck Tele-Afflicted

Oct 11, 2017
    São Paulo - Brazil
    And them, the Sfinx said "show me you guitar and I will tell you who you are"...

Definitively you ARE an exaggerated guy :lol:

2blue2 likes this.
  12. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 19, 2006
    Gilbert, AZ (PHX)
    Sprinkled on...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 11, 2018
  13. Kreepy

Kreepy Tele-Meister

Jan 4, 2018
    Maud, Oklahoma
    Look at the rattle bombs from the Ed Roth website. Single stage spray cans with bitchin colors and it's clear and all in one can.

14. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    I just punched a skabillion holes in a jam jar lid with an icepick...

2blue2 likes this.
  15. fofomomo

fofomomo TDPRI Member

Feb 21, 2011
    us
    Yeah have you used these? I found them after I first posted this thread but they're not available in Canada, I may drive to the border though

Kreepy likes this.
  16. Kreepy

Kreepy Tele-Meister

Jan 4, 2018
    Maud, Oklahoma
    Have not tried the rattle bombs first-hand. I've bought pinstriping paint and reducer and such from them and have been very happy with their products. I plan to rattle bomb the mail box in the next week or so.

17. fofomomo

fofomomo TDPRI Member

Feb 21, 2011
    us
    I'm very curious uf the rattle bomb flakes are bigger than the Krylon product

18. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

when spraying with flake you are limited by the size of the nozzle and air pressure...

the flakes have to go through the hole....

sprinkling them on might give you a better result...

19. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    It’s still tricky, though. Hard to get even coverage without gaps or spots where the flake is thick and high...

LPTyler likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.