Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Putting humbuckers in Cabronita

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by jaytv, May 9, 2014.

1. jaytv

jaytv TDPRI Member

May 9, 2014
    South Australia
    Is there any humbucker that fit into squier tele cabronita?
    I can buy a tele with humbuckers but couldn't find any that looks like the cabronita. Only half bottom pickguard and overall amazing look.

I basically want a tele that looks like this:

http://www.fender.com/squier/series...cabronita-telecaster-maple-fingerboard-black/
    but with humbuckers in it.

I found this:

http://www.fender.com/squier/series...modified-tele-custom-maple-fingerboard-black/

but I'd prefer the small pickguard of cabronita, or no pickguard at all.

Many Thanks

2. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 19, 2006
    Gilbert, AZ (PHX)
    The Filtertrons in a Cabronita are humbuckers...

bender66 and brookdalebill like this.

3. jaytv

jaytv TDPRI Member

May 9, 2014
    South Australia
    That's interesting, I thought they have some sort of special design. They are very clear and sparkly.
    What I'm looking for is something that sounds like regular dimarzio / duncan humbuckers. Something with a PAF characteristic is preferred like dimarzio paf joe, but I also like the hot ones like duncan JB.

4. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 20, 2011
    Englewood, CO

5. jaytv

jaytv TDPRI Member

May 9, 2014
    South Australia

6. vintage clubber

vintage clubber Friend of Leo's

Apr 12, 2012
    Mechanicsville, VA
    You may actually like the stock fidelitrons in a cabronita. If not, you can always upgrade to either genuine Gretsch filtertrons or even a TV Jones if money is no object.

Tonetele likes this.

7. jaytv

jaytv TDPRI Member

May 9, 2014
    South Australia
    I'm sure they are fantastic pickups, I'm looking for a smooth creamy blues drive tone in neck pickup. I have been getting this tone using duncan 59 in my soon to be deceased yamaha. Guitar->MXR dynaComp->Ibanez TS->Marshall.
    The frets are worn off, and its not sane to spend 200 on re-fretting that guitar(Costs around 200 here in Australia):neutral:

I was looking for something basic in 300-500 range, then I saw this cabronita squier tele.
    From youtube videos I couldn't tell if the creamy lead tone is possible with these pickups. Most people tend to pluck the strings as hard as they can when they pick up a telecaster, so youtube is full of spanky samples and no blues drive.

8. jbmando

jbmando Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Did you see this video? More overdriven tones to give you an idea of the Fidelitron's sounds.

frankencat likes this.

9. jaytv

jaytv TDPRI Member

May 9, 2014
    South Australia
    Thanks for the link to the video.
    Seems like the tone is too sparkly for me, even with overdrive. A friend suggested buying a custom rear rout body and a fender neck, I did some googling and seems like I can get what I want for roughly the same price of this cabronita. Thank you all for your input.

10. HopDog

HopDog Tele-Meister

Sep 7, 2009
    Upstate NY

11. jaytv

jaytv TDPRI Member

May 9, 2014
    South Australia
    Great suggestion, unfortunately there was only one supplier here in Australia and the pricing is somewhat on the high side : http://www.dwmusic.com.au/store/pro...-fmt-hh-electric-guitar_se-telecaster-fmt-hh/
    I found a local luthier, I may have my dream guitar built.

12. Williams

Williams Tele-Meister

Jul 11, 2003
    Pasadena
    You and I have the same type of idea going…I too am looking for a Cabronita style Tele, but with more traditional PAF style pickups.

13. elelpe

elelpe Tele-Afflicted

May 1, 2008
    SEA
    Get one of this and mod ... ?

Squier Jim Root Tele
    [​IMG]

Schecter PT
    [​IMG]

14. bender66

bender66 Friend of Leo's

Jan 18, 2010
    on my bike
    Getting closer?
    [​IMG]
    Has a bridge pickup ring. The faux 'Tron cover on a humbucker are Giovanni's, an inexpensive Artec line that sound great to me. This is currently getting a fatter neck.

15. joeford

joeford Friend of Leo's

Apr 17, 2013
    st. louis, illinois
    i recently swapped out my tv jones for the fender-designed gretsch filtertrons because i wanted a more PAF sound. good enough for me. they have a lot more growly mids than the tv jones. with a pushed amp, you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference between the filtertrons and a true PAF

16. Lukeyoung220

Lukeyoung220 TDPRI Member

Apr 3, 2018
    England
    i know this was a long time ago but if you still need help on this i was stuck in the same problem i love the vibe of the carbo but the pickips just arent for me. i found a website that make carbo bodies and rout for humbuckers. its not the cheapest method but its worth id

17. nicod98

nicod98 Tele-Holic

Jul 7, 2014
    Belgium
    Sometimes a little electronics could help too... I'm certainly no expert but some combination of capacitors and/or resistors or different pot value can drastically change the sound.

I don't like "sparkly" either... So I tried a dual humbucker guitar with 250k pots (blasphemy :cool:) from a friend and it sounded fantastic to me. Somehow work keeps coming between me and my soldering iron, but I will certainly try the same on one of mine. Perhaps it is a solution for your cabronita? it costs next to nothing and is easily reversible if it is not to your liking.

18. Tonetele

Tonetele Friend of Leo's

Jun 2, 2009
    South Australia
    If you really like this guitar try, if you can, spoil yourself to Gretsch Filtertrons or TV Jones.
    I think humbuckers would ruin the TELE sound. JMHO

19. Mechanic

Mechanic Tele-Afflicted

Loving my stock MIM Cabby. Try adjusting the pickups closer to the strings.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.