Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Putting binding on a finished body?

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by texmck54, Oct 2, 2017.

1. texmck54

texmck54 Tele-Meister

Can it be done on a poly finished body without ruining finish around the binding.

2. Jupiter

Jupiter Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    Definitely a "hold my beer" proposition...I've seen guys pull it off, but you better have high-level routing chops and a really nice sharp bit...

BorderRadio and 3-Chord-Genius like this.

3. Vizcaster

Vizcaster Friend of Leo's

Sep 15, 2007
    Glen Head, NY
    1. routing the binding channel is likely to cause some scratches in the finish from the base of the router guide;
    2. perfectly flush binding is accomplished by gluing in the binding a bit proud then scraping the binding (and any glue squeezeout) flush with the surrounding surface. Repairing missing or broken binding can be a real treat because of these constraints.

So, no, not unless you have to.

BorderRadio, ponce and Dunkerhook like this.

4. Dunkerhook

Dunkerhook Tele-Meister

Jul 29, 2011
    New Jersey
    I would make and bind a new body. Binding is relatively easy when you do it before the finish -- especially is you leave yourself with just a little to scrape.

Just did my first binding repair on a previously completed body. Not fun to do such delicate work -- even for just a less-than-one-inch section of binding like I needed to fix. Vizcaster is right -- a real treat. Lots of "puckering", as Robert O'Brien would say. :D I don't even want to think about doing it for the entire body.

What about painting a binding-like stripe? I wonder how that would work. (I've never worked with poly...)

Hiker likes this.

5. Buckocaster51

Buckocaster51 Super Moderator Staff Member

Jan 6, 2005
    Iowa USA
    Admin Post
    It has been done...but it is not a DIY project

Masking tape can be your friend: while you're routing, gluing in the binding, and scraping it level.

Use heat to form(but not melt) the binding

Lots of tape to hold it in place while glue dries

If you tape things carefully, and strive to minimize glue squeeze out, you might get lucky

jackinjax and Hiker like this.

6. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 19, 2006
    Gilbert, AZ (PHX)
    Sounds like a recipe for disaster. If you need to ask then the answer is no. I would expect the poly to chip out along the route. You may get by scribing a line for it to crack on.

Another issue is the existing edge radius on the body you have and the thickness of the binding you want to use. Most binding is not as thick as the edge radius already on the body. Binding is done on a square edged body that has not had an edge radius routed on it. This is way more headaches than it is worth.

Expect to refinish the one you are trying to put binding on after a lot of headaches.
    Buy another body with binding and sell the unbound one.

7. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

Sep 14, 2005
    Nueces Strip
    I wouldn't try it.
    As earlier mentioned, it's just so much easier to start from scratch.

8. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 19, 2006
    Gilbert, AZ (PHX)
    Post a picture of the guitar. Also a pic showing the edge radius of the body. Is it a Fender Tele? ... or something else?

9. Jupiter

Jupiter Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    Bragging rights for a stunt like this are far outweighed by the pucker factor. ;)

10. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

Feb 29, 2004
    Portland, OR

11. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Mar 2, 2003
    Lawndale CA
    I absolutely would NOT try it.

The first problem is routing the channels - how do you plan to do it without chipping the finish? Even the most expensive high-tech router blades would likely need to be changed several times, and if minimal chipping *does* occur - what then?

And if you get to the point of installing binding, the finish edges will be loose in spots due to the action of the router. Using binding tape is out so you'll need to use an alternative system - large rubber bands, elastic etc - and keep binding cement from creeping to the finish during the wrapping process.

Then you need to scrape the binding flush to the existing finish without damage - but if you mask it you'll end up with binding that is slightly higher than the level of the binding.

I've bound a lot of guitars. I wouldn't even try it. It's just not worth the potential problems.

Buy a bound body and pay someone to finish it.

12. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

Feb 29, 2004
    Portland, OR
    It really is a short cut asking to be the can of worms to my thinking.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.