Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Put flatwounds on my '57 AVRI...I'm pulling them off.

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by E5RSY, Oct 14, 2013.

1. E5RSY

E5RSY Poster Extraordinaire

Put some 10-48 Chromes on a few weeks back. They actually sound really good, largely due to the wound G being properly matched with the vintage pole piece stagger. However, I can't deal with the increased tension. Due to the "Fender" scale length, the tension was already on the high side. The tension increase from the flats just put it over the top for me. Aw, well...it was worth a try.

2. electricjr

electricjr Tele-Holic

Yeah, I've put flats on guitars on and off over the years, just for something different (good for surfy or plinky 60s sounding stuff). But I always end up going back to roundwounds. Flats on a 335 or Les Paul are a bit more manageable. One thing I did once that worked out pretty well is to detune the flatwounds I had on a strat a bit, I think I had it down to C flat or something. Intonation was not a problem, and it was fun to mess around with, and much easier on the fingers. But for bass, I always keep one strung with flats, one with rounds.

3. Lawson

Lawson Tele-Meister

Hmm, I'm going for flatwounds for the first time soon... Is it really that bad in terms of increased tension? Is it like going from 9s to 10s or 10s to 11s or something? I was considering going from 11's to 12's on roundwounds anyway (til i heard about flats), I like the fight, so maybe i get something in the middle with 11 flatwounds....

Most confusing paragraph award for me or what...

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. MickM

MickM Friend of Leo's

Try these .011-.050. . Have a .018 wound 3rd, stay in tune and sound like a bright flat wound. http://www.juststrings.com/ghs-1315.html

6. 4mal

4mal Friend of Leo's

I dig Chromes on my 335, my Strat (S500 actually) wants the twang though...i

Thomastics are much softer in flat wounds. Not cheap, but they are beautiful sounding strings and last a very long time...

7. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied

+1 on the TIs. Awesome strings.

8. Vladimir

Vladimir Tele-Afflicted

Indeed, TI 11's easily feel as soft as roundwound 10's. But I also prefer them on my archtops, not my Tele.

9. Count

Count Tele-Afflicted

The only flats I have found that worked on electrics were Thomastik Classic S 10-38. No tension problems and they seemed to improve with age. The only reason I went back to rounds (EB Cobalt super Slinkies) was that I wanted the brighter sound that rounds give, otherwise I would still have them on my electrics, Tele included.

10. Shango66

Shango66 Friend of Leo's

Galli flatwound 11's on my 52ri in my avatar.
    That lollar Charlie Christian pup and flats are a beautiful match.
    My Jazz Tele.

I tried d'addario chromes 13's but man the tension was too much.

11. Michael

Michael Tele-Holic

I've gone with flats for quite a few years now, and have taken to switching the wound G for a plain string, giving me a hybrid set of sorts. I wanted to tone down the brightness a bit, and it seems to work. I can't remember when I changed the strings on my Jimmie Vaughan, and they still sound good to me. No snapping, rattling, or clanging. I like to play Bloomfield, Freddie King, and Clapton-ish kind of stuff and bending is not an issue. I'd like to try tuning down, but I'm afraid I'd get lost! It took me a long time to learn useful Eb chords in standard tuning!

12. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire

the only guitar I ever tried a set of flatwounds on was a 67 Jaguar that I had years ago, they sounded great on that guitar, but I sold it.

Roundwounds for me on everything else!

13. k.l.k

k.l.k Tele-Holic

if u like the flatwound sound, you could try the thomastik 10-44.

the tension is pretty close to that on d'addario 10=46 rounds.

of course, you still won't be able to do a full-step bend on that g string in the lower positions without raising the action a lot. but the bends on the other strings will be closer to what you get with roundwounds.

14. Starshine

Starshine Tele-Afflicted

This thread has my thinking about trying flatwounds. Does the switch require much tweaking to the setup? I have a pretty sweet one going right now and I'd hate to mess it up with an experiment I might not like.

15. Gareth John

Gareth John Tele-Afflicted

Had some pyramid nickel wound flats on my strat for the past month. I too enjoyed the balanced sound but the tension does get a bit too much ,especially swapping from the strat to the les paul. It nailed the ticket to ride riff and sounded cool for Buddy Holly stuff.

When I went back to 10s on the strat I noticed the tension difference between the strat and the les paul still, I had put some '9s on the les paul by mistake.
    Now I wonder why I ever changed to 10's, 9's are great! So right now I've gone from one extreme to the other. Super slinkies for a bit now, I feel 12 years old again!

Flats are worth trying if you haven't tried them before, strings are something I like to experiment with too.

16. Gareth John

Gareth John Tele-Afflicted

to asnwer the post above, going from 10's to 11 flats I found that I did have to tweak the intonation quite drasticly, so it may be something to consider before you swap.

17. Textele

Textele Tele-Holic

So I guess E is really F flat? :p

Just kidding around, I know what you mean ;)

I actually never tried flatwound strings that I know of. Always thought they were used for Jazz or to get a real warm tone that does not need a lot of sustain. I am a little curious now though. So it really affects the string tension "feel" when playing? Probably not a great experiment for a string bender like me then?

18. bluescaster72

bluescaster72 Tele-Holic

I'll interject here. Flat wounds are great especially for clean playing, I do not use the wound G I replace it with a plain so I can still bend strings. Try that before giving up on Flatwounds. Jimmy Vaughan does the same thing and to me has a great tone.

19. ac15

ac15 Poster Extraordinaire

Yep, Thomastik "Swing" flat wounds are great. I'd try those before giving up on flats.

20. Coach56

Coach56 One of the Boys

I have a set on my Epi Riviera with P90s and it does nail the very early Beatles stuff pretty well.

Most of the time though I use one of the other guitars with Cobalt Slinkys on them.

-Harry

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.