Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Put a JBL120f in my 66 deluxe reverb. volume drop

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by nocastermike, Aug 13, 2017.

1. aerhed

aerhed Tele-Holic

Dec 24, 2016
    Boulder, WY
    It should be a smooth curvilinear cone with a paper surround. Doped on "F" models? It should also be LOUD. Tight coil gaps, lotsa edge wound coil turns and a humongous magnet equals efficiency.

nocastermike likes this.

2. adjason

adjason Friend of Leo's

Jan 9, 2010
    virginia
    I had four jbls in a super reverb- not only really loud and clean but hard on the ears and did not overdrive well at all. Sounds like something is not right.

nocastermike likes this.

3. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Mar 2, 2003
    Lawndale CA
    It's generally irrelevant with a single speaker. I don't know of anyone who has found a measurable difference.

The D120f was a 60watt speaker when new but that has nothing to do with the efficiency - the db rating does . but in this case you either got an old, tired speaker or a bad recone. They are not always louder than other speakers but are almost always *much* brighter. I don't care for them at all in DR's because of the extremely bright character. Tone adjustments can't overcome it.

nocastermike likes this.

4. PooTwang

PooTwang Tele-Meister

Mar 2, 2013
    Dirty Jersey
    IMG_0396.JPG Call. Dutch at Vin-Tone he's the man for Jbl recone he did this D120f a few years ago, its loud , done to vintage specs sounds like it suppose too . I still have one good working original cone JBL to compare it to !

nocastermike likes this.

5. zook

zook Friend of Leo's

Aug 6, 2003
    Cochise, AZ
    True, but it was worth a shot.

6. codamedia

codamedia Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2009
    Western Canada
    I wouldn't give this any thought as long as I like the tone of the speaker, and the volume drop doesn't limit me from using the amp. Speakers age and get tired. Whether they get tired for better or worse is purely subjective. As @Silverface said... these are usually very bright, but too bright for a DR. A little bit of "tired" might be a good thing.

Not to mention... if a speaker is softer sounding (less high end) that will compound the volume difference whether real or perceived.

Just my 2 cents...

Last edited: Aug 14, 2017
    nocastermike likes this.

7. mherrcat

mherrcat Tele-Meister

Dec 12, 2013
    California
    Your picture of the speaker cone doesn't show the typical voice coil leads. Usually they extend up from the voice coil and are glued down to the cone, as in the pic posted by PooTwang. Just seems odd to me. If the leads were extended from the voice coil on the back of the cone, why would there be two holes punched in the paper? Again, something is off with that recone. Perhaps the voice coil is not actually an 8-Ohm voice coil.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.