Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Put a JBL120f in my 66 deluxe reverb. volume drop

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by nocastermike, Aug 13, 2017.

1. nocastermike

nocastermike Tele-Meister

Apr 25, 2015
    ma
    Hey guys. I scored a D120f on CL this week for $150.00. it looks great no tears,doesn't appear to be a recone. I removed the WGS et65 i had in it(which sounded great,loud as heck) popped in the d120f and it was nothing like i expected. The volume/clean headroom drop was evident right away. It overdrives nice,but that familiar high end sparkle and headroom is not there. I made sure it was not out of phase as well. Would those speaker posts on the JBL make a difference(the ones that want the raw wire? Could it just be tired and need a recone. I notice the rating is 65 watts on the WGS speaker and the JBL i think is lower,Im not sure thats the reason. Any thoughts appreciated.

2. bluetinstar

bluetinstar TDPRI Member

Aug 1, 2017
    Hampshire, UK

3. Dacious

Dacious Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    Godzone
    Possibly the JBL has non-original cone. It should be not quite earbleed loud but louder. Or - alnico magnets do not like being dropped. It could require regaussing. Weber can do that.

nocastermike likes this.

4. nocastermike

Apr 25, 2015
    ma
    8 ohms

5. zook

zook Friend of Leo's

Aug 6, 2003
    Cochise, AZ
    The terminals on JBLs are reversed from normal. Try reversing them and see what happens.

6. nocastermike

Apr 25, 2015
    ma
    gonna try it now

7. nocastermike

Apr 25, 2015
    ma
    ok...just tried it. the difference was really hard to hear if any!

8. Dacious

Dacious Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    Godzone
    On a single speaker there would be little to no difference. Sounds like that one's duff. If you know someone who's a sound tech they should be able to test it with a noise source and db meter.

9. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars TDPRI Member

Apr 15, 2017
    ...playing in traffic
    I would take it to an authorized pro JBL speaker guy. There is one (edgewound) on the Gear Page who is supposed to be superior in the restoration of D120's(both kinds).He is in SoCal...

http://www.uplandloudspeaker.com/

nocastermike likes this.

10. nocastermike

Apr 25, 2015
    ma
    turns out it is a recone. i checked with the seller. jbl d120.jpg jbl d12f front.jpg jbl d12f front.jpg

11. chezdeluxe

chezdeluxe Poster Extraordinaire

Dec 29, 2007
    Brisbane Australia

12. Shidoin

Shidoin Tele-Holic

Jan 7, 2009
    Ventura CA
    The D120F I have in my BFDR is loud as heck...somethings wrong with your speaker.

nocastermike and slider313 like this.

13. powerwagonjohn

powerwagonjohn Tele-Meister

Apr 30, 2013
    minnesota
    Parts of original quality are being made now days. I just had a pair of D130F reconed and they came out great sounding. Find a quality rebuilder if the speaker is bad, you won't be sorry!
    Thanks John

nocastermike likes this.

14. Dacious

Dacious Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    Godzone
    In a single speaker amp polarity will make no difference. Only important if you run an extension cab

nocastermike likes this.

15. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

Jan 12, 2011
    Snellman MN
    If got two D120F and two of the very similar D131s. Honestly I don't think they're all that efficient so I'd expect a volume drop going from a modern speaker. But alot would indicate a problem.

nocastermike likes this.

16. nocastermike

Apr 25, 2015
    ma
    Its noticable but its perfectly useable. I guess i was expecting a larger than life change. Its very creamy...not to much treble,less than the warehouse speaker.

BobbyZ likes this.

17. Dacious

Dacious Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    Godzone
    I think if you compared it to an old Oxford it would be startling. Newer speakers with modern changes, glues and things like Kapton formers where they can push more efficiency via tighter coil gaps, not so much. Both speakers are high-90s db spl. It's like comparing a 60s musclecar big block V8 to a modern twin turbo V6. Both get the job done in different ways.

nocastermike likes this.

18. Bartholomew3

Bartholomew3 Friend of Leo's

Dec 8, 2010
    Montreal
    I have one and can see by your pic that it's a recone so would guess the wrong tech did the work originally.

Looks like a sloppy job from here but that's just my impression.

nocastermike likes this.

19. nocastermike

Apr 25, 2015
    ma
    I hear what your saying. I have an oxford here and the jbl is way better than that thing. Im gonna keep it in for a week or 2 and see how i bond with it.

20. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Spring City, Pa
    Send it to Dean Zink for a proper recone.
    Should that be smooth or ribbed?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.