Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Put a B/W/B pickguard on my 2TSB AmStd Tele today

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by stilesg57, Feb 19, 2012.

1. stilesg57

stilesg57 Tele-Holic

So I've done a lot of guitar surgery the past two days (took care of my Lone Star Strat yesterday: http://www.tdpri.com/forum/other-guitars-other-instruments/314238-seth-lover-pio-caps-swapped-into-99-fender-lone-star-strat-wow.html) and I've got a lot more coming up in the next two weeks, so thought I'd share my little Tele upgrade with you guys.

This is my new AmStd that I just got in December. I'm slowly but surely getting this thing to exactly where I want her. Next up is the OV bridge pup I've got that I'm just dying to put in -- still waiting on a PIO cap and 4 way switch that are in the mail and should be here next week. Then I just gotta stuff a PIO cap and an AmStd neck pup in my Baja and cleanup/re-wire the S-1 rats' nest and my Teles will be good to go!

Anyway, enjoy some Tele pron in the meantime :grin: Here's the 'before' shot, with the new AllParts B/W/B pickguard next to her:

[​IMG]

Don't look! My Tele is topless! :grin: Really pretty wood and quality craftsmanship on this guitar. In case anyone was wondering how the new AmStds are routed:

[​IMG]

And here's the 'after' shot. Looks much more smokey bar-ish and Merle Haggard-ish to me:

[​IMG]

And because no girl this pretty can resist a closeup:

[​IMG]

All in all I'm very happy with the looks improvement. I don't know why the 2TSB Teles don't come this way from the factory -- looks SOOO much better IMO. Seems like Fender is going this direction with the new Baja finishes though, so I can't be crazy.

One quick note: I don't know if I can recommend the AllParts guard. The quality is not up to par with the stock Fender piece, the holes weren't drilled terribly precise (had to "nudge" -- via a power drill -- three of their bore centers over to get the screws to fit), and they didn't even pre-drill the neck pup mounting holes. Weird. I would've expected more for $23, especially when I could've just picked something up from guitarfetish.com for half that.

Anyway, who can complain when it's just another day in Tele paradise? :mrgreen:

[​IMG]

2. Yodhan

Yodhan Tele-Meister

I put a single ply black guard on my Classic 50s Esquire. I agree, it looks way better that way.

3. joshigh

joshigh Tele-Meister

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. ThreePlyGuy

ThreePlyGuy Friend of Leo's

Pretty guitar, like the three ply.

6. Tred

Tred Tele-Afflicted

Nice! I like it.

7. jjpish68

jjpish68 Tele-Holic

8. Jazzerstang

Jazzerstang Tele-Afflicted

9. sonny wolf

sonny wolf Tele-Afflicted

Nice but I prefer white over sunburst.

10. stilesg57

stilesg57 Tele-Holic

Thanks for the complements everyone!

There had to be someone out there ;)

11. JDRNoPro

JDRNoPro Friend of Leo's

Looks great. That's a really nicely grained ash body.

Odd about the Allparts PG - I've used a dozen or so of theirs and have always been very good.

12. 73Fender

73Fender Friend of Leo's

Looks good, I like the black guard but then again the white one looks good too for that matter a white pearloid wouldn't look bad either. I know, nothing like taking a stand. Good luck with the projects.

There is a like new 2011 Am Standard in Sunburst on my local CL, been considering it if it can be gotten cheap. If I do I may swap the guard. Saw the ones on e bay, cheap ones from Hong Kong up to authentic Fender brand. Is it necessary or advisable to spend the little bit extra for a Fender?

The pic of the cavities surprised me, had no idea of the extra routing. Cool idea for doing swaps if a humbucker bug ever presents.

13. tele_pathic

tele_pathic Tele-Afflicted

14. t-ray

t-ray Tele-Holic

That looks great! In connection with several mods to my 2006 American Deluxe (with similar burst coloring) I will be replacing the mint green with a b/w/b guard. I really like the combo. I also think the white layer will look especially nice with the white top binding on the Deluxe. I will be posting pics when I am finished. Cheers.

15. stilesg57

stilesg57 Tele-Holic

^^^Sweet, those are some pics I'd like to see.

Thanks again for all the kind words guys! I'll post more pics of the guts when the OV pup goes into the bridge and the PIO cap and 4 way switch go under the control plate later this week.

16. Weaselcoon

Weaselcoon Tele-Meister

I put the same guard on burst AM ST tele! I think your wood grain may be a little prettier.

Black on burst is cool!

17. Fenderfiend

Fenderfiend Tele-Meister

I don't know which way I fall.
    I'll probably leave the white on my 3TSB for now -but still considering a change.

edit: the b/w/b would definitely be the way to go (vs all black/single ply)

18. Weaselcoon

Weaselcoon Tele-Meister

You cant lose either way.:mrgreen:

19. Fenderfiend

Fenderfiend Tele-Meister

Nope, won't affect the tone a bit. :mrgreen:

20. DeepDrummer

DeepDrummer Former Member

Love the look. I prefer the black pickguards on any tele.

21. stilesg57

stilesg57 Tele-Holic

I totally agree for anything other than butterscotch blonde. I like the outline the white edge gives.

Here's a good comparison:

[​IMG]

Same 2TSB, same black top layer of the pg, but doesn't look as nice IMO.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.