Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

push pull pot as volume or tone?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by dilbone, May 8, 2008.

1. dilbone

dilbone Tele-Afflicted

Hey guys,

I'm going to be putting a push pull pot in for a series/parallel switch on the bridge humbucker in my custom deluxe. Do you suggest it as the volume or tone pot? Does it really matter in the end, or just convenience of location?

Thanks for any input

2. Guitfiddler

Guitfiddler Tele-Meister

I'd do tone. My PRS McCarty's push/pull is on the tone knob, and I know that the knob's position doesn't stay perfectly in place when switching.

When I smack it down or yank it up mid-song, I'd rather have the tone adjusted a bit than the volume significantly dropped or raised.

I don't think either putting it in the vol/tone position has an effect on tone though.

3. dilbone

dilbone Tele-Afflicted

Good point, hadn't thought of that although I was thinking tone from the start anyway, but all I have is a wiring diagram for a volume pot and I haven't thought through yet how the wiring will differ for the tone. I'll have to check online for a diagram unless anyone here happens to have one...

Thanks Guitfiddler

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. t_ross33

t_ross33 TDPRI Member

Shouldn't have any affect on volume or tone, other than the aforementioned inadvertent adjustment when switching. The push pull switch and the pot are 2 completely isolated circuits, just with the mechanical sharing of the pole piece.

I have mine on the volume pot, but to each his or her own.

Trev

6. TheDev01dOne

TheDev01dOne Tele-Holic

I put mine on my Tone since I barely ever use it, then there's less chance off doing something wrong when I go to use it like turning my volume up/down or something.

7. Rob DiStefano

Rob DiStefano Poster Extraordinaire Vendor Member

P/P for the tone pot only - they're small diameter and with less carbon on the wiper, I want the larger pot for the volume control.

8. Wardpike

Wardpike Friend of Leo's

Did you ever consider using a push-push switching pot? But I would go with using it on the tone unless your tone put has other features such as the Fender TBX treble pass filter circuit.

9. Big John

Big John RIP

I always thought a single pot for vol and tone was an excellent idea but do you think they would be robust enough ??, i am not that hamfisted but chew my way through such things just through excitement.

What would a Tele control plate look like with just one knob ?

10. JCollins

JCollins Tele-Holic

There is another reason to use the push/pull as a tone pot, rather than a volume pot. Push/pull pots are always built on mini-pots. If you find a minipot that has as smooth a taper as a full sized pot, it will be a rarity. Generally, folks prefer a smooth, even taper for the volume control, but that is less important for a tone control. That is why makers usually use a push/pull for a tone control.

Now, Gibson does have a push/pull for the volume control in the Jimmy Page LP. This push/pull is actually built on a full size pot, but it is not a DPDT switch. It is only an on/off switch. That is acceptable for a coil cut on ONE pickup, but it is not useful for a coil cut on two pickups (DPDT is needed for that), nor is it useful for a phase reversal or parallel/series switching. (DPDT is needed for either of those, as well.)

11. dilbone

dilbone Tele-Afflicted

WOW

Thanks guys for all of your advice and input. I ordered two p/p pots and they came in yesterday. I was only going to series/parallel the bridge but decided to go ahead put one on the neck as well.

I cannot believe the versatility out of this guitar now. Yeah, the signal is a bit weaker with the parallel connection, but for me it doesn't matter as I most likely won't be switching during a song. All of the sounds now are extremely useful and although the single coil settings aren't quite full blown "tele" single coil sound they are still pretty darn good.

This may be the cheapest yet most valuable mod I've ever done. I think this custom deluxe has just edged past the MIM standard as my #1...

Thanks again guys
    Chris

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.