Push chords

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by Lowthesd, May 21, 2019.

1. Lowthesd

Lowthesd TDPRI Member

A Rhythm technique question to the brilliant hive mind here.
    I am working on getting push chord down (they show up as a tie in music notation), but how I have been looking at them as say on a 8th note or 16th making the change on the ‘and’ of 4 or in 16ths the and or the ‘uh’ (but last strum of the measure before the new chord. I have heard Laurence Juber discuss then like there are many ways to do these pushes. Is there a jazz or well versed person out there that can help
    To. Clarify my post, The last beat of a measure if its a measure of 8th notes I have been adding an extra 16th note extra strum where I make the change, essentially say dotting the final 8th note to add in the final strum as a 16th as the chord change to make the change pushed into the measure before the measure with the new chord...
    Laurence Juber has referred that there are many ways to push chords for rhythm...
    I always just thought it was adding an extra beat in the previous measure with say changing the last note to say dotted and on that extra half making the chord change.

Anyway that’s the premise and maybe people can see my confusion just from my write up explanation...

Sean

Sean

2. klasaine

klasaine Poster Extraordinaire

There's no 'set' way - 1/8, 1/16, last part of a triplet, whatever. It depends on the rest of the band, the melody, where you are in the metric form of the tune. "Push" or "pushed" is the vernacular but an anticipation is what it's called ... if you wanna get academic about it.

syncopatedNote.png
    Play the Bsus4 on the last 1/8 note of previous measure instead of on the 1.

Lowthesd likes this.
  3. Lowthesd

Lowthesd TDPRI Member

Thanks that makes a lot of sense!
    That is a very clear explanation, thanks

Sean

Sean

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.