Push Chords

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Lowthesd, May 21, 2019.

1. Lowthesd

Lowthesd TDPRI Member

I am working on getting push chord down (they show up as a tie in music notation), but how I have been looking at them as say on a 8th note or 16th making the change on the ‘and’ of 4 or in 16ths the and or the ‘uh’ (but last strum of the measure before the new chord. I have heard Laurence Juber discuss then like there are many ways to do these pushes. Is there a jazz or well versed person out there that can help

Thanks

Sean

Sean

2. Lowthesd

Lowthesd TDPRI Member

Since I can seem to add/edit I will reply to my own post. To. Clarify my post, The last beat of a measure if its a measure of 8th notes I have been adding an extra 16th note extra strum where I make the change, essentially say dotting the final 8th note to add in the final strum as a 16th as the chord change to make the change pushed into the measure before the measure with the new chord...

Anyway that’s the premise

Sean

Sean

3. E5RSY

E5RSY Poster Extraordinaire

You need to have this moved to the appropriate forum. You'll get better responses.

4. Lowthesd

Lowthesd TDPRI Member

I was trying to figure out which forum that would be, I am very happy to take a suggestion to help on this, on which forum is best. Thanks for the reply I appreciate the help

Sean

5. Lowthesd

Lowthesd TDPRI Member

I’ll move it to the writers block

Sean

6. Mark the Moose

Mark the Moose Tele-Meister

If I understand your question, this is really a rhythm exercise in which you land a chord on the final 16th of the measure instead of the following downbeat. Here's an idea:
    1. Start by practicing simple chord changes ON the beat with a metronome clicking on the beat.
    2. Same progression/placement of chords, but with the metronome on the fourth 16th of each beat. FYI: this is difficult. It will make you very aware of the inside of the beat. Then try pushing one of those chords a 16th early without losing the beat.

If you are strumming be consistent with your downs and ups, so your downstrokes happen at the strong 8th note level and the upstrokes happen with the off 16ths.

Lowthesd likes this.
  7. Lowthesd

Lowthesd TDPRI Member

Yes it is a rhythm exercise. Thanks for having the insight to recognize that as my post lacked that. Thank you for your reply. that is how I mostly understand them, and your practice tip is excellent, thank you
    They show up as ties in notation

Sean

8. E5RSY

E5RSY Poster Extraordinaire

Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique

9. Lowthesd

Lowthesd TDPRI Member

I have moved this post to tab-tips theory and technique

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.