Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Purchase opportunity: 1972 Custom Tele

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by barrymclark, Jul 10, 2017.

1. barrymclark

barrymclark Tele-Meister

Jul 5, 2013
    Atlanta
    Hello, all.

So, I have a buddy that has a shop and he acquired a Telecaster that has a Deluxe neck and a Custom body. The S/N on the neck indicates 1972 but I don't know what the body dates too.

All seems well with it... but...

What would that non-matching body/neck issue do to value?

I don't want to hose him OR me on value.

2. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    You might consult the Vintage Guitar magazine buyer's guide.

3. FenderLover

FenderLover Friend of Leo's

Jun 11, 2009
    Minnesota
    Vintage Guitar Buyer's Guide states a range for excellent condition, original examples only. That is the problem with people looking up their guitar and saying, "the book says..."
    Non-original, substantial reduction
    poor condition, substantial reduction

4. JORear

JORear Tele-Meister

Jun 11, 2017
    Alabama
    I would say the Deluxe neck would devalue a Custom 72 Telecaster. The head stock on the Deluxe looks like a Strat. It changes the whole look. If it was a Custom neck from a different year, I would not think the value would drop that much. Thats just my opinion.

5. toomuchfun

toomuchfun Tele-Holic

Feb 9, 2014
    NE US
    In the Telecaster book by A.R. Duchossoir he says the Deluxe debuted in Jan 1973. The neck could be dated '72 but I'd want to take a good look at it to make sure it isn't a reissue neck. A 1972 neck would have a stamp on the heel of the neck, not a s/n on the headstock.

The humbucker should have a stamp on the bottom with the last 2 digits representing the date. The volume and tone pots have a date code too. I would have all them checked. This should give an idea of the body date if they match.

For value, I think you would have to find missing matching parts and assemble 2 guitars to make good money. The sum of the parts may be the best way to determine value at present. Nothing wrong with a hybrid at a good price if you like the way it plays (Custom neck radius is smaller than the Deluxe).

Attached is a poor pic showing my '73 Deluxe neck. The stamp says "TEL-DELX 73"

73-deluxe.jpg

Edit to add shot of my '73 Custom, last 2 digits show 73. If the bottom doesn't look like this it's a later version, not original.

73_CUSTOM_PU.jpg

Last edited: Jul 12, 2017

6. deytookerjaabs

deytookerjaabs Friend of Leo's

Jun 5, 2015
    Nashville
    Not sure about the factory route (mickey mouse?) but the deluxe neck has a strat heel while a tele custom neck has a regular tele heel. The non-matching would de-value the thing pretty dramatically for me and 70's Fenders as a whole have been stagnant or dropping hard the past year or two. I know some asking prices are crazy, but the selling prices tell a whole different story. LOT'S of 70's Strats & Teles were made and IMO every time I look online I see more being listed.

The VG guide is just too slow for today's market unless you're just interested in tracking 'busts, blackguards, and pre-war martins.

7. FenderLover

FenderLover Friend of Leo's

Jun 11, 2009
    Minnesota
    I don't think it really matters what year it is. If you're selling it's always worth a fortune, if you're buying, "They aren't worth that much any more."

orangeblossom likes this.

8. Milspec

Milspec Tele-Afflicted

Feb 15, 2016
    Nebraska
    I know you are trying to assign a value range on it, but unless you are a collector, it is worth what you want to pay based on how it plays to you. I have a buddy who is big into showing classic cars and I went to a few shows with him. There are always project cars for sale and I wanted to buy a 55 Ford, but he told me that it was over-priced and only good for parts because it was a 4-door.

To me, a 55 Ford was a 55 Ford as I tend to drive them instead of show competitions. He told me that "Some things are classics and some things are just old" so values are vastly different.

I see a lot of 70's instruments being listed every day and not many are selling for anything close to what was being asked. They didn't have the best necks and often weighed a lot in my limited experience. I have only played with 3 from the '70's and only 1 impressed me, the other 2 were no better than any more modern Strat that I had in the house.

You just have to ask yourself what is your intentions and then ask if it is a real classic or is just old.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.