Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

PTP Marshall/Vox clones

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by eggman, Jan 7, 2005.

1. eggman

eggman Friend of Leo's

Howdy,

Having played nothing but Fenders in my 25 years of picking, I'm keen on acquiring a Marshall clone amp or something very similar. I love clean and slightly overdriven tones. Think "Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out" and you'll get the picture.
    I'm not looking for a behemoth 100 watt head. Can anyone tell me the names of some boutique or similar makers of Marshall/Hi-Watt/Vox style amps? I'm looking for 18,20 or perhaps even 45 watts. I prefer PTP, hand-wired.I'm hoping you knowledgeable vintage tone guys can point me in the right direction.

Respectfully,
    Eggman

2. Marshall Thinline

Marshall Thinline Tele-Holic

I recently bought a Reverend Kingsnake and it can really hit the vox / Marshall low distortion tone. Plus it does a great DR tone. It is not all point to point wiring but is built very well. All the jacks and pots are p to p though.

[​IMG]

3. Wayne Alexander

Wayne Alexander Friend of Leo's

Graydon Stuckey, http://www.gdsamps.com is a great builder of 18 Watt Marshall clones. He also sells very nice kits for them with superb parts and instructions.

Divided by 13 also makes some superb and unique amps, several pros use them including Rusty Anderson who's touring with Paul McCartney.
    http://www.dividedby13.com/

If you're looking for something in the classic Marshall family, look at Mojave amps http://www.mojaveampworks.com/

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. JTM45blues

JTM45blues Tele-Afflicted

Blockhead for Marshall, consider Germino as well though, check out www.steelbender.com, and go to the spotlight area, Jason Barker and Greg Germino both demonstrate the Germino amps to their full capacity.

Also if you're handy you could look into an 18 watt kit, or have GDS amps build one for you, his prices seemed reasonable. In my opinion though the 18 watt, doesn't have enough "power under the hood" for the tones you describe, so I would recommend grabbing a JTM45 or Bluesbreaker style combo. For that album I believe Mick Taylor used his 50 watt head, and I'm pretty sure Keith used either Ampeg or maybe a Fender Tweed Twin, I know he loves the low power twins, so you may want to look into Victorias for that.

For the Vox end, I'd look at a Badcat Blackcat (by the way Willie's Guitars has one used, for a good price), or you could try a Matchless, or maybe one of the Vox handwired's that came out last year. I'd go Badcat if I was after a Vox sound though, I've played through enough of those, they have "it", all of them, the most toneful amps and VERY well built, think Sherman tank.

Beware of Mojave, lest you desire to sound like Van Halen, also they're a little rude.

6. Admin

Admin Tele-Holic

Uno mas.

Aiken Invader. Info here:

http://aikenamps.com/Invader_MKII.html

A friend of mine brought one of these to an EL-84 "shootout" last year and it was just stunning. Has a switch to choose between Plexi & Aluminum Marshall tones, and both sound like heaven. Plus a very cool feature of a <u>built-in attenuator</u> to allow for true overdriven tones at low volume levels. I've had severe G.A.S. for one of these ever since. :-| Best of luck, CS

7. Marshall Thinline

Marshall Thinline Tele-Holic

Bad Cat Cub II

The Bad Cat Cub II has some great tones that you may be looking for.

[​IMG]

8. Pigsfootpeete

Pigsfootpeete Tele-Meister

Bedrock - If you can find one. Awesome!
    Fargen
    Rivera
    BlockHead
    Wizard
    Top Hat
    Reeves

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.