Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Psychocaster in progress...

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by tvvoodoo, Jul 11, 2013.

1. teletimetx

teletimetx Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 25, 2011
    Houston, TX
    I think trapped in a window is a little scarier; the aluminum clad version might make it look more ornamental, maybe. Either way, the metal clad approach with rivets sort of pushes it into a steampunk direction, maybe. Just my random thoughts.

3: I noticed that the eye sockets of the skull sort of resemble the overall shape of the skull; how about putting tiny skulls in the eye sockets?

2. tvvoodoo

tvvoodoo Tele-Afflicted

Jun 11, 2010
    Western Canada
    been almost a year. Strat had been on the bench. Eventually covered up with layer upon layer of other things. Pulled it out the other day... looked at it and decided if some carving is good.. more carving might be even better.

[​IMG]

So I carved a little more, then a little more, then some more. Soon there wasn't much left, except where the pickguard will go.

Over the last couple nights I cleaned up some of the more obvious dremel tool marks dulled down some of the sharper lines, sanded the edges smooth.

Tonight I broke out the stains. first off acajou rouge. that be french for red mahog

[​IMG]

Whoa. turned out a LOT darker, and a lot less red thank I was hoping.
    It is what it is... gotta keep moving.

[​IMG]

"relic"ing tools. Oops did I say a swear?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lots of heavy duty two-handed wire brushing and scotchbriting.
    Then being a bit more careful with the ebony stain - got into the crevasses

[​IMG]

and the background areas, eye sockets and such.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is where we shut 'er down for the night. I got one more
    colour layer to put on, and I only get one chance so I have to be careful.

3. Jupiter

Jupiter Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan

4. irie

irie Tele-Holic

Jul 15, 2014
    Orange County, CA
    wow.... badass dude, cant wait to see this thing put together.

5. TRexF16

TRexF16 Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2011
    Tucson
    Scary! but really good work. No way my wife would even allow this in the house! I look forward to seeing it completed.

And great work on the scream guitar too. You are very creative.

Rex

6. tvvoodoo

tvvoodoo Tele-Afflicted

Jun 11, 2010
    Western Canada
    Hey thanks gents... didn't do too much on Death Strat tonight... it was school awards night, and my kids picked up a couple themselves... between the two of them probably around eight or so... so busting with pride tonight... they are both pretty book smart but what really warmed my heart was to see them both on stage at the same time after earning drama club awards!

All I did tonight was another round of painting dark stain in the background bits. and for the record, even my wife thinks the reaper strat is cool, and she is VERY not into that sort of thing.

I'm looking around for a big wide paintbrush my wife wrecked by not properly washing it, and I'm pretty sure I saved it somewheres around here last summer. I need to modify it a bit for the effect I will be going for...

my wife is bad for that... she really loves to paint stuff, but not so good at cleaning brushes, I get so mad every time she buys a new one. But, in the grand scale of things, I guess it's not so bad... LOL

7. tomringg

tomringg Tele-Meister

Feb 25, 2009
    minneapolis
    Congrats for the kids, don't go dissing the spouse too much, keep the updates coming!

8. tvvoodoo

tvvoodoo Tele-Afflicted

Jun 11, 2010
    Western Canada
    brushed on some silvery metallic stuff lightly,

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

might dab over it a bit with more of the stain, but I like how it
    is slighly metallic with the browny red undertones...
    kind of an antique coppery look right now.

next steps will be do the edges, carve out a pickguard, and I want to care something into the back.. text I think... a death quote... something like
    "and she ran to him, or "We'll be able to fly" - or open to suggestions.
    brevity is important

9. tvvoodoo

tvvoodoo Tele-Afflicted

Jun 11, 2010
    Western Canada
    spent some time today making a pickguard out of the brushed stainless housing of a microwave oven...

scribe

[​IMG]

outline

[​IMG]

dremel (stainless loves to eat dremel cutoff wheels)

[​IMG]

file, sand, trim...

[​IMG]

metal work is hard on the hands, for sure but we are getting there.
    I think the carving needs more silver now... the stainless is upstaging it a bit.

10. tvvoodoo

tvvoodoo Tele-Afflicted

Jun 11, 2010
    Western Canada
    Masked and painted the sides, blended it towards the art, then fiddled with the relief paint some more, still struggling to find a good balance.

[​IMG]

Just realized the p-90s I purchased in a forum sale didn't come with adjustment/mounting screws. Who does that? LOL! Now I know why. they are like GOLD, Jerry, GOLD!

And why do they have to be so frickin' special? Anyway, I have a neat-o idea for the backside, that I will soon be working on whilst we wait for super specialized screws.

11. TRexF16

TRexF16 Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2011
    Tucson
    Stew Mac sells 'em. (P-90 screws.)

That thing still scares me.
    Rex

12. tvvoodoo

tvvoodoo Tele-Afflicted

Jun 11, 2010
    Western Canada
    Yes I have some on order now. OK, now here's a question for the pickup fellas...
    in my looking around the web, there are several folks who offer custom stainless steel p/gs

Some of them claim to use NON-magnetic stainless. Some don't. There is a worry in my head that using magnetic stainless (I tested it and indeed it is so), will interrupt or interfere with the magnetic fields of the pickups.

With more searching others say it don't matter one bit, and might even provide improved or at least a different kind of effect to tone. There are instances of several steel plate guards, and even a tele bridge plate is often magnetic. Maybe that's part of the the source of the twang?

Can anyone weigh in on this? It's going to be fun to see what happens either way.

13. tvvoodoo

tvvoodoo Tele-Afflicted

Jun 11, 2010
    Western Canada
    found this aluminium tea tray at goodwill - had a cool rose pattern stamped into it

[​IMG]

Made a backplate out of it, painted it, block sanded.

[​IMG]

But the best thing I made this week was this:

[​IMG]

Leftover pickle brine has many uses, but this is my favourite. Not my wife's though, LOL!

14. TRexF16

TRexF16 Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2011
    Tucson
    Very creative and resourceful. You've shown quite a bit of "out of the box" artistry throughout this build.

I look forward to the completion.

Rex

15. tvvoodoo

tvvoodoo Tele-Afflicted

Jun 11, 2010
    Western Canada
    Best resolve this thread... I can't stand project threads that abruptly end and we don't see the final product for whatever reason...

been plucking it for a week, tuning it in... still need to work on the tremolo,I think I might gilmourize the handle, and remove a spring or two - otherwise it is playing nicely.

some stills

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 26, 2015

16. mindwave

mindwave Tele-Meister

Sep 16, 2011
    orlando
    WOW

I would NEVER try and play something like that, guitars THAT textured just turn me off however, 2 strng comments

1) you could sell that thing for a MINT to a collector

2) you could make a MINT doing custom casters like that.

'nuff said

17. tvvoodoo

tvvoodoo Tele-Afflicted

Jun 11, 2010
    Western Canada
    well thank you for your kind comments Mindwave, I don't think I'll be giving up my day job to live the custom guitar makers' dream anytime soon, LOL, but it was real fun to make, and is lot of fun to play - not just a conversation piece.

18. Captain Nutslot

Captain Nutslot Friend of Leo's

May 3, 2012
    Rochester, NY
    That thing is Awsome! Where did the vid go?

19. tvvoodoo

tvvoodoo Tele-Afflicted

Jun 11, 2010
    Western Canada
    hmmmm... not sure where it went upstairs, but here it is once again

20. Captain Nutslot

Captain Nutslot Friend of Leo's

May 3, 2012
    Rochester, NY
    very cool, sounds great man!

...the issue was with my ipad

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.