Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Psychocaster in progress...

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by tvvoodoo, Jul 11, 2013.

1. fretman_2

fretman_2 Friend of Leo's

May 9, 2011
    Mobile, AL
    Awesome guitar man!!!

2. tvvoodoo

tvvoodoo Tele-Afflicted

Jun 11, 2010
    Western Canada
    Experimentation, woodcarving school is now in session. Can we pull evil out a 10x2 cutoff I found under my deck? I have very little idea what I am doing.
    But this really is making me feel like a fifteen year old, which at my age is GREAT!

48 (going on sixteen year old) Me: " Hot damn! I-ma gonna carve a big evil skull into my guitar!"
    Dad (or mature self): "You sure you wanna do that son? Might look pretty damn stupid."
    Fifteen year-old me: "Oh Yeah, it'll be WAY COOL!" (((throws horns)))
    Dad (or mature self): "OK, but don't say I didn't warn you!"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A little help from a 3-D model - because yeah, I'm so not above cheating

[​IMG]

Softer light, my wife says why you carving a picture of Voldemort? I say Voldemort?!? Can't you see it's the Mother lovin' Grinch? C'mon woman!

[​IMG]

Harsh light, (enhanced) to sort of show the effect I am going for...

[​IMG]

Not quite what I was looking for. Evil enough, but needs some work. Cheekbones are all wrong. Mouth looks strange, granted once I separate the teeth that will help. Of course, tThis was all just a practice round for me to learn a bit. No guitars were damaged during this process,(yet).

Any carving advice CERTAINLY welcome...

3. metecem

metecem Friend of Leo's

That looks like a monkey skull!! Then again it was a matter of time till a monkey skull appeared in this forum :)

4. tvvoodoo

tvvoodoo Tele-Afflicted

Jun 11, 2010
    Western Canada
    Aren't we all just monkeys/ LOL - THAT made my night. thanks for that.

Hope to tear down the subject guitar this weekend start the actual carve.

5. Captain Nutslot

Captain Nutslot Friend of Leo's

May 3, 2012
    Rochester, NY

6. tvvoodoo

tvvoodoo Tele-Afflicted

Jun 11, 2010
    Western Canada
    Work continues... tore down the victim... a yamacaster I picked up for $40-ish

[​IMG]

interesting surprise inside:

[​IMG]

Picked a new graphic this time. I figured I'd trim it closer to the edge of the border, so I would have to remove less wood. Decided to also cut deeper, because I'm trying to create the illusion of depth, and figured that might help LOL

[​IMG]

Let's cut in... border first, then taper in towards the middle.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That was a few hours... sportin' a pretty sore wrist tonight! First time ever carving well, anything really. Seems to be going well which means something terrible is just around the corner. :)

The last shot has a enhanced contrast version because that's kind of my plan for this guitar... sort of :cool:

7. Lenderman_k

Lenderman_k Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

Mar 16, 2011
    Paoli, IN
    Wow, awesome guitar OP. Most of the time a guitar either has a design with no pick guard or all of the design is on the pick guard. I love how you have incorporated the body and pick guard into one picture.

8. tvvoodoo

tvvoodoo Tele-Afflicted

Jun 11, 2010
    Western Canada
    :confused: Wow. Tough crowd here this weekend.;)

A close up for the non- cargo-shorted, hawaiian shirt-wearing few hereabouts, (actually I'm one of you, just a little misguided at the moment).

[​IMG]

Sorry, I'm just kind of still in shock that I was able to do this. It's far from perfect, but I really surprised myself. See the black paint on the tips of the lower incisors? Gives you and idea of how deep I had to go

9. Chordophonic

Chordophonic Tele-Meister

Oct 4, 2013
    Isle of Wight UK
    Thats fantastic, the depth of the carve really works well.
    Looking forward to seeing it finished.

Paul

10. joeford

joeford Friend of Leo's

Apr 17, 2013
    st. louis, illinois
    that looks awesome! you had me nervous after i saw the practice skull!
    you should fill it back in with a clear poly so it looks like a skull trapped under glass...

11. tvvoodoo

tvvoodoo Tele-Afflicted

Jun 11, 2010
    Western Canada
    I have been toying with a similar idea. Sort of a "skeleton dude looking through the porthole of a sunken ship" effect -you can see the iron clad effect I'm going for earlier on in the thread. That is, if my cladding material ever arrives. Stuck in customs right now.

Now I want to hide some red or green LED lights in the eyes too. My imagination gets away with me sometimes.:lol:

12. joeford

joeford Friend of Leo's

Apr 17, 2013
    st. louis, illinois
    awesome! i'm really excited for this build... more than i should be. i think my "fifteen year-old me" is living vicariously through your "fifteen year-old me"! :lol:

13. KWhatley

KWhatley Tele-Holic

Apr 13, 2013
    London, UK

14. 10thoufirst

10thoufirst Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Nov 16, 2013
    England

15. teletimetx

teletimetx Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Jul 25, 2011
    Houston, TX
    Freakin' hilarious. Love it. but also great craftsmanship. Certified!
    Referring to OP. I'll hold off on the skull business until you're finished. Kind of scary.

16. Tesla_HV

Tesla_HV Tele-Afflicted

Aug 5, 2014
    New England USA
    I would say that it does well of expressing the angst of human existence without travelling too far into the realm of superfluous futility...you did well....

17. tvvoodoo

tvvoodoo Tele-Afflicted

Jun 11, 2010
    Western Canada
    :lol:^Wha?

So, I'm going to poll opinion here, not saying which way I might go, honestly still undecided.

1. I was going to cover the carving with aluminum tooling foil. adhere it down and press it into all the nooks and crannies until the carved likeness is completely aluminuminumized. Then, I was going to metalclad the rest of the guitar the same, with rivets along the seams, and a border along the porthole.

The original plan was, still is, to wipe black paint on, then off the whole shebang, for that tarnished, old distressed glinty metal behind the crunk effect. Obviously on the skull, the shiny bits revealed in that aged relief/embossed sort of effect, dark and scary. All texture would remain, just a light clearcoat on the whole thing, probably a matte finish. Susceptible to damage is a concern, less so due to the metalcladding.

2. Plan 2 would be to actually paint the skull in a more realistic aged way, whitey creams and browns, etc, and NOT metal clad it. Then I would encase said skull inside the "porthole" in poured epoxy or somesuch, to mimick that it is indeed trapped inside a window. This verision is also has the whole guitar metalclad with rivets as well.

3. Any other ideas?

18. joeford

joeford Friend of Leo's

Apr 17, 2013
    st. louis, illinois
    i vote for plan #2 for the epoxy window thing. other than that, i'm keeping my mouth shut to see what you come up with

19. tomringg

tomringg Tele-Meister

Feb 25, 2009
    minneapolis

20. Chordophonic

Chordophonic Tele-Meister

Oct 4, 2013
    Isle of Wight UK

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.