Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Psychocaster in progress...

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by tvvoodoo, Jul 11, 2013.

1. tvvoodoo

tvvoodoo Tele-Afflicted

Jun 11, 2010
    Western Canada
    I hesitate to put this in "finely finished" but what the heck, it's more relevant than the other. This was inspired by my desire to do an "art" guitar with a face with a lot of texture.

Started with your typical cheap strat body, roughed it up...

[​IMG]

painted white about five coats, and barbequed

[​IMG]

vectorized Edvard Munch's The Scream, (public domain), with digital magickery, and got some sign vinyl printed.

[​IMG]

Weeded the vinyl, (negative image) laid it down, on the face with the WBW guard carefully fitted and carpet taped down

[​IMG]

Got out the dremel and various bits and had at 'er

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

cleaned up the crevasses a bit and a lot of small bits of white left on the de-layered pickguard with the wire brush

[​IMG]

Pulled the vinyl off the guard to reveal the top white layer - I should add all dremelling work took nearly three hours, or in TDPRI time, four and a half beers

[​IMG]

masked front and shot black in to the cracks, leaving the vinyl on as a mask

[​IMG]

pulled masks...

[​IMG]

Still need to do some light wetsanding to get rid of some errant black paint where my masking techniques failed me... I'm not sure if I will fill the crevasses or not... it's a bit rough on the forearm bevel, maybe I'll weldbond it level strategically on that part. Anyway, thought some folks might be interested in this process which I claim full patent on. :lol:
    as if anyone else was deranged enough to try it.

as always much more detail at my main project thread: http://www.agileguitarforum.com/showthread.php?tid=255&page=15

more to come if there's interest

2. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity

Dec 8, 2010
    Up North
    I like it.
    Looks like it will be a real 'Screamer' when you are done.

3. TotallyReptiles

TotallyReptiles Tele-Meister

Jan 23, 2013
    Gainesville, GA
    I think that might have just become my favorite guitar I have seen on this forum!!!
    I wish I had that type of creativity!

4. Mekhem

Mekhem Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Oct 31, 2010
    Minneapolis

5. BrianNY

BrianNY Tele-Meister

Dec 8, 2012
    Patchogue
    I typically am not into art in guitars but this is cool as hell

6. tvvoodoo

tvvoodoo Tele-Afflicted

Jun 11, 2010
    Western Canada
    thanks fellas! so what you guys figure? White or black pup covers?

7. Lester Z

Lester Z TDPRI Member

Jan 2, 2011
    Columbia, Mo.
    That looks great.
    I would say black covers, but it's a close call.

8. tvvoodoo

tvvoodoo Tele-Afflicted

Jun 11, 2010
    Western Canada
    Hmmm I was thinking white... I wonder if a fella should try to match the pattern?

9. teleforumnoob

teleforumnoob Tele-Afflicted

May 25, 2010
    North Alabama
    White, and fill in the back lines.

10. tvvoodoo

tvvoodoo Tele-Afflicted

Jun 11, 2010
    Western Canada
    I like that idea of trying to carry over the graphic on the pup covers. The polepieces might even end up looking like big fat old tears raining down :cry:

After the beers wore off, I decided that I carved to my template much to literally. I should have stopped short of making carves below the pickgaurd and on the inside horn. Duh... The pickguard makes a natural end for the artwork.

So, we filled, sanded and repainted that area.

[​IMG]

Then, I had some fun with the graphics. Still undecided on the "Aaaiiiieee!" text, which is designed as a "flip" graphic, to be shown by flipping the body bottom up, while wearing. Probably have to do a digital mockup before I decide. I've never tried to lay such a large waterslide before, but I've had few issues with small ones. I did notice my waterslide paper is ambering a bit... anyone know of some that doesn't? - might it look dumb on plain white? That kind of worries me.

[​IMG]

11. tvvoodoo

tvvoodoo Tele-Afflicted

Jun 11, 2010
    Western Canada
    Last night I spent a whole hour with black and white acrylic paint and a tiny brush, as well as some sharpie action on the front face of the psychocaster.
    Went all inside the cracks etc. The wetsanding process to get rid of black bits ended up depositing a lot of whitish gunk inside the cracks, so I had to take a toothbrush and some mild detergent to clean the channels up, then I found various bits of white crap and other stuff in there that would not brush out or clean up, so I just painted/sharpied over them. As well there were a few black bits on the top, which I covered with white.

One thing I will warn against, is how I used the razor knife to cut around the guard when I laid the vinyl down. Came back to bite me in the butt, bestowing upon me a fine black hairline that bugged me something fierce.

However, with a liiiiigggghhht touch and a few subtle layers, the scratches are covered and blended in for the most part. I'm not sure how a guy would do that better, or avoid the situation completely but I'm sure someone smarter than me will figure it out someday.

Anyway, got it cleaned up as best I could (pure white is hard!) and dropped four or five-ish coats of clear on the body this morning while the air was still.
    I really wanted to get some down quick while it was clean, and I was sober just to protect the work I had done so far - handling a white guitar in the shop is just way to risky - couple of body shots for y'alls

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I used ordinary Krylon Acrylic, because all the other stuff was krylon as well, and its one of the few clears I know of that in my experience has real good anti-yellowing resistance. One interesting "happy accident" is that all the texture of the carving inside the cracks gives off a glammy glitter effect reflecting bolts of light back all along the carved routes when the guitar is in motion... a flukey and unexpected feature
    - a closeup...

[​IMG]

Then, when I was playing mockup this afternoon trying to figure out pup covers and knobs, I noticed the pickguard looked sort of stupid on it, because the guitar was all shiny, and the PG was all totally flat.

[​IMG]

Enter my secret weapon. Man, I love that stuff. Dries prett hard in half a hour, gets hard as rock in a couple yet remains somewhat flexible and is tough, sandable and even buffable too. Non-toxic (as far as I know), and cleans up or strips off perfectly with simple windex. One day I am may even try to refinish a whole guitar with it, I swear!

[​IMG]

By the looks of the photo above, I'm going to have to drop a bit more with a smaller brush in places. Oh and with the white headstock with the graphics, and the light maple fretboard... thing id lookinh killah! if I do say so myself.

As far as the back graphics go, I'm a typical male type and can't commit. I'll finish clearing it later after next weeks camping trip, and just lay the water slides down before the final couple clearcoats so I have the option of taking them off if I so choose down the road. I don't mind if they get a bit of wear on them, or if the edges pop a bit under the clear.

12. tvvoodoo

tvvoodoo Tele-Afflicted

Jun 11, 2010
    Western Canada
    You gotta admit this here is pretty darn fun!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attacked by Bugsy Alone LOL - back to the shop.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I got new water slide paper coming... thinking of putting a line of text on the inside face of the cover along the bottom/back edge so it stands out against the white...

"WARNING: To safely defuse this device, cut the GREEN wire first." :idea:

The yellow wire is of course a dummy, just for show, but totally adds extra dangerous tone.

13. Glen Smith

Glen Smith RIP

Aug 20, 2011
    Canada
    Might be funnier if you say to cut a colour that isn't there.

14. tvvoodoo

tvvoodoo Tele-Afflicted

Jun 11, 2010
    Western Canada
    ??? There is no green. Perhaps you should adjust your monitor

15. Glen Smith

Glen Smith RIP

Aug 20, 2011
    Canada
    Well that is what I originally thought. Then I thought that the dark wire might be a very dark shade of green.

Carry on......................................... it looks great BTW.

16. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.

17. tvvoodoo

tvvoodoo Tele-Afflicted

Jun 11, 2010
    Western Canada
    not much to say here tonight... just dropping a few shots in.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I can say... yay for me.. new water slide paper day.

18. tvvoodoo

tvvoodoo Tele-Afflicted

Jun 11, 2010
    Western Canada
    Put it together this morning. I have a black trem and tuners on order, those are weak points on this. Also, bridge pup is NFG. Otherwise, she intonates perfect, nice low action (after a shim and a tap down on one fret). Makes a fellow want to fizz up and go all crazy train. Fun to wear, easy to play, and as I set out to accomplish, it has a lot of texture, but nothing harsh...
    For a cheap guitar the neck is quite nice after a rub down with the scotchbright and a light rolling of some pretty harsh fretboard edges. It's nice to have a maple fretboarded stratty guitar back in the fold for the time being.

[​IMG]

here's a few more pics

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Overall it was fun and interesting trying a new approach for a relatively quick and dirty refinish (by my standards anyway). Also managed to work some of my quirky humour into to it too! Not sure if I will try working with a white guitar again until I have better control of my environment.

Hoping down the road I might be able to trade it up for my next refinish project, an abused Yamaha Weddington special I have my eye on at the local pawn...

19. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity

Dec 8, 2010
    Up North

20. Nick JD

Nick JD Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.