Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

PSA Cheap Mooer Pedals - Act Fast!

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by smoss469, Oct 19, 2012.

1. mcduff1

mcduff1 TDPRI Member

Bite the bullet and ordered a Mooer Triangle Buff. The 'mooer132' coupon still works at marcmart, so at $44 its easy to slide past the wife and easy to toss if I don't like it. Reviews sound good, and it sounds sweet on youtube. Hoping its a little more versatile then a little Big Muff. We'll see, I'll keep you posted. Hope it shows up in 2 weeks or less, love to use it at our next gig for some rauncy Black Keys tone.

2. damaged

damaged Tele-Meister

Just wanted to add I got the reverb after spending 5 minutes with it I put it back in the box and listed it on eBay sold it for what I paid for it including fees etc. I guess I've been too spoilt lately having used the tc hall of fame and flash back..

3. Iago

Iago Tele-Afflicted

Sep 18, 2006
    Brazil
    You should get a "Green Russian" Big Muff clone for that, not a triangle, but what the heck do I know... I never found BM's necessarily versatile, to me, they're more of an either "on or off" effect. YMMV, of course.

But at least they didn't raise the price of all pedals, some are still $88..that's nice.

4. Iago

Iago Tele-Afflicted

Sep 18, 2006
    Brazil
    Couple new Mooers coming out soon:

http://www.mooeraudio.com/en/index.asp

It seems they heard people complaining about the Blue Comp. I'm definitely curious. And the "Yellow" + controls gives me an idea about where this one comes from.

There's also the "MKII Ultra Drive".

5. ChipOnly

ChipOnly Tele-Holic

Jul 7, 2009
    Champaign, IL
    Are you thinking the yellow comp is a diamond clone? I'm trying to think of clone-worthy yellow compressors, and that's really all I can imagine it could be, unless I'm overlooking something. If so, then hell yes, put me down for one at the full $88 price. ;)

A tiny little direct box might come in handy too. Power supply could be cool also if it is isolated....

I think the mooers are just ducky. I don't even really consider very many pedals that aren't teeny tiny like these anymore. Even an MXR box looks kinda bulky to me now. :oops:

6. Agitator

Agitator Friend of Leo's

Nov 22, 2010
    In transit
    It certainly looks like they're copping the typography from the Diamond compressor, but I have to wonder if they can really duplicate the circuit in such a small box. If the Diamond compressor would fit in a smaller box, why wouldn't Diamond build it in a smaller box?

EDIT: I like the micro power supply!

7. chunkyluke

chunkyluke Tele-Meister

Mar 16, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Went to get a Black Secret and they are sold out.. I guess you could say that the secret is out :)

8. ChipOnly

ChipOnly Tele-Holic

Jul 7, 2009
    Champaign, IL
    Don't know much about the Diamond Comp's guts, but if they can fit an electric mistress in there (stacked PCBs), they can probably do the diamond, I reckon....:?:

9. Agitator

Agitator Friend of Leo's

Nov 22, 2010
    In transit
    Good point. I wonder how accurate their copies actually are... I should probably start digging around on some other forums and see if I can find some discussion in that regard.

10. Dr. Pants

Dr. Pants Banned

Jun 27, 2011
    HERE
    Keep in mind Mooer are SMD, so they can fit quite
    a bit more in a much smaller space.

And yes, I thought the Blue Comp was *TERRIBLE*.
    But if you like a "clicky" compressor, even at minimum settings,
    then you'll love it.

I can't believe they squandered such a great opportunity.
    They could have cloned the CS-2 and made a fortune.

As far as accuracy, I can tell you this. We did an A\B test
    with my Hustle Drive and an OCD at the music store where I teach.
    No one could hear any difference. I realize that's anecdotal, but if
    you had been there, you'd understand that everyone walked away shaking their heads at the utter lack of any tonal difference.

11. JayBeezy42

JayBeezy42 Tele-Meister

Nov 5, 2012
    Kansas
    Ugh, really wish I hadn't missed out on the deals on these...

I thought I got lucky because I found a site that actually had a Hustle Drive and a Black Secret (I want a Blues Mood too, but two out of three ain't bad) in stock and going for $43 and some change each with free shipping. Well, their stupid website has nowhere for you to input any type of payment info, so when you try to check out it just says "no payment options found, contact us!".

Yeah, no. :mad:

I'd chalk it up to incompetence rather than them being up to no good, but they're still not getting my money.

12. smoss469

smoss469 Tele-Afflicted

Oct 12, 2007
    West Virginia
    I'm not seeing any yellow compressors on their site.

13. Iago

Iago Tele-Afflicted

Sep 18, 2006
    Brazil
    ^^^
    Not there yet Smoss, I just saw it on the slideshow at their home. It can actually be seen amidst the other pedals on the pictures of their NAMM '13 board, also.

14. walleyeman

walleyeman Tele-Holic

Jan 2, 2009
    Hills of Arkansas
    I purchased the blue comp. Can't get a response from anyone about returning it. Did it get recalled? Did anyone else get stuck with this pedal?

15. Iago

Iago Tele-Afflicted

Sep 18, 2006
    Brazil
    I don't think it's a recall - it does what it is supposed to do, considering it's a Boss CS-1 clone. Matter of taste.

But the Blue Comp now appears as "limited" on their website, meaning they probably won't make those anymore.

16. czech-one-2

czech-one-2 Friend of Leo's

Oct 3, 2008
    Prague
    No, but my shimverb went on the fritz after one month, I couldnt get a reply either...

17. yonie

yonie Tele-Meister

Oct 10, 2009
    Netherlands
    Stoked for the yellow comp - the EQ control is quite useful which is why I always was GASsing for a Diamond compressor. This will do fine as well :)

Also the power supply is a nice gimmick, altough I don't see the added value if the outlets are not isolated. A daisy chain would be cleaner and take less space.

18. smoss469

smoss469 Tele-Afflicted

Oct 12, 2007
    West Virginia
    Mooer lost their mind and accused both WTFAccessories and Marcmart of selling "counterfeit" versions of the pedals. Not sure how they managed to do that so close to release date. The theory is, Mooer was getting pressure from their US based sellers; they weren't able to move them @ $88/$98 with the other sites shipping them to your door for $44.

Hey Mooer, it's too late to get them crap back into the horse at this point. Might as well adjust your prices and count on volume over individual profit margins to make a buck. At $44? Heck yeah! At $88? Nah, pass.

Also if size isn't an issue, Moen has a comp that's supposed to be a clone of the Diamond.

19. czech-one-2

czech-one-2 Friend of Leo's

Oct 3, 2008
    Prague
    ^ Agreed! I kinda wish folks would boycott and/or delay their satisfaction until Mooer caves in and sells them at the $44.00 price that thousands have already sold for. This 'counterfeit' pedals claim is absolute nonsense.

20. rogthefrog

rogthefrog Tele-Meister

Speaking of which, is anyone interested in trading? I have a Rumble Drive I'd like to trade for something else, maybe the Black Secret, Ensemble King or Elec Lady.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.