Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

PRS SE Singlecut Korina - Holy cow!! I got me one!

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by boneyguy, Dec 17, 2009.

1. boneyguy

boneyguy Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 31, 2007
    victoria b.c. CANADA
    Well actually I've rented it for a week and I don't think I'll be returning it. I'll say right off the bat that I've always been luke-warm about PRS guitars and I've played lots of them especially the SE line but this Korina single cut is monsterous.

To start with it weighs I'm guessing between 6 and 7 lbs at the most. It hangs perfectly balanced on the strap with no neck dive at all.

Acoustically it's loud and resonant and amplified it's warm and spanky. I even like the feel of the neck. The action is low and there's no fret buzz at all.

The look is what weakened my knees immediatly. I love the sort of TV yellow colour and I dig the simplicity of only 2 control knobs.

I can get beautiful mildly overdriven blues tones and what I think of as solidbody jazz tones as well.

So far no complaints at all, just lotsa love.

Attached Files:

2. recsec

recsec TDPRI Member

May 14, 2009
    Pensacola, Fl
    That is a beautiful Guitar. Enjoy it!!

3. casterway

casterway Friend of Leo's

That sure is pretty! I'm glad they didn't put that pickguard on that the Santana model gets.

4. tiktok

tiktok Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 11, 2005
    Seattle
    That is pretty, but when I first glanced at the thread I thought it was going to be a koruna SE One.

5. krauser2

krauser2 Tele-Afflicted

Jan 26, 2009
    SC
    I played the hollow body with p90s version.....and it was good I called up Mr. Logan to build me a custom Telecaster-jr.

Those SE's can be really nice.

6. boneyguy

Mar 31, 2007
    victoria b.c. CANADA
    I wonder if they've reworked some of the specs on these guitars. The neck feels beefier than the others I've played and the pickups sound more lively. Maybe I got lucky and just found one that works for me, I don't know.

7. brokenjoe

brokenjoe Friend of Leo's

Mar 1, 2009
    Toronto
    Shore looks purdy!!! I played a PRS for years. Great guitars. I swapped out the pick-ups for Duncan '59s though -my fave humbucker.

8. elelpe

elelpe Tele-Afflicted

May 1, 2008
    SEA
    That's gorgeous! I played SE soapbar. The sound was really good but I've had problem with the wide fat neck. Hope there's an exception with this SE Korina.

9. MMJeronimo

MMJeronimo Tele-Meister

Jun 7, 2008
    Vancouver
    Cool! I have a korina tele and I like it a lot. Have fun with it.

PS - That's pretty cool that you can rent a guitar before buying it, never thought of that.

10. boneyguy

Mar 31, 2007
    victoria b.c. CANADA
    I may try some different p/u's in it but frankly I'm okay with these stock ones. They work very nicely in this guitar.

I could be wrong but this neck feels slightly different than the other SE's that I've played. It actually feels a bit fatter, not wider though, which I like. I'm probably wrong about that because I can't imagine them re-tooling to make a different neck for this one model in their budget line of guitars.

Yes. At Long & McQuade they let you rent gear by the day, week or month. Usually they don't like you renting brand new gear (unless they're pretty certain you're likely to buy) but I know most of the guys at the store here really well so I get the odd favour from them.

11. JayFreddy

JayFreddy Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 6, 2006
    Dallas TX USA
    That's impossible! Just ask my former luthier! :p

Seriously, congrats on the guitar. I've played several of those SE's that were far nicer than they had a right to be. Sounds like you got a good one.

That sounds like a pretty good idea. Makes more sense than what often happens at Guitar Center, where people "buy" stuff with full intention of returning it within the 30 day window for a full refund.

Just curious, but how much does your store charge to rent something like a PRS SE? Did you have to pay a refundable deposit that covered the full price of the instrument?

12. boneyguy

Mar 31, 2007
    victoria b.c. CANADA
    Howdy Jay. :D

Former luthier. Good move. :lol:

Yeah, it may be a case of just finding an extra special one. Most of the SE's I've played have been very good but there was always something that stopped me from pulling the trigger. This one does seem different. Maybe it's the Korina. It's real pretty and very resonant, very light weight and has warm rich tone. For the moment I can't put it down.

This guitar is new and sells for $585 Cdn before taxes. It cost me just under $20 for the week which is a little pricey I think. However, when I purchase the guitar that $20 will be put toward the cost.

I thnk these SE's also come with a very well made PRS gig bag.

13. fenderix

fenderix Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 17, 2003
    Europe
    Congratulations! Looks like a lovely guitar ...

Enjoy! :)

14. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Ad Free Member

May 10, 2003
    Near Milwaukee
    Korina Korina! Where you been so long?

(-:

Beauty! Congratulations! The PRS folks sure know how to put them together. The fit and finish looks really nice.

15. TELE_BLUES

TELE_BLUES Tele-Afflicted

I love that guitar, 1 or 2 p-90"s and it would be perfect.I like the korina (limba) for guitars bodies.

16. ACK75

ACK75 Tele-Meister

Apr 13, 2009
    Virginia

17. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

Apr 17, 2008
    Port Moody, BC

I love L&McQ's rental system. I rented a wireless microphone yesterday for a school function. It cost 7 dollars for the day. That's pretty darned cheap.
    Last year, I rented an SE Semi-Hollow, and decided not to buy it. I kind of regret it that now. However, I think I might give that Korina a try. It might hold me over until my custom-built Apollo arrives next year.

18. casterway

casterway Friend of Leo's

I should have used the rental option a few times in the past. I have bought a few guitars from L&M in the past, and ended up trading them in, losing a bunch of money.

19. JohnK24

JohnK24 Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    Western PA
    nice guitar...I like the concept and it's especially nice that they left off those HORRIBLE SE pickguards. Anyone know why they don't put nice nickel/chrome covers on the SE 'buckers ? That would make for a nicer look,imho. Now the same concept with two P90s please...

20. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

Apr 17, 2008
    Port Moody, BC
    Do you mean like this?

http://www.prsguitars.com/sesoapbar/index.html

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.