PRS Private Reserve dye job - any idea what they are using in this video?

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by DHart, May 13, 2019.

1. maxvintage

maxvintage Friend of Leo's

No you can’t have water base shellac. But you can tint shellac all day long

2. Vizcaster

Vizcaster Friend of Leo's

Actually you can, Target Coatings makes an emulsified waterborne shellac sealer. Not necessary apparently.

The LP posted above by Treadplateduel was Tru Oil over wb dye without a barrier coat - that's good news it would save a step.

3. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Tele-Holic

My humble thoughts. Its a great video of an experience finisher doing what he does best. It is not intended to teach you how to get those results. There is no dialog, no explanations, no instructions. That means that you are speculating on everything he does - is the guitar sealed or not, if so, with what? What are the dyes, what is the solvent, how are they mixed? You guys have asked all the questions - the vid doesn't provide the answers.

It a little bit like trying to learn a song on the guitar - I can watch a video of Clapton playing Layla, or I can get the score. I might be good enough (I'm not) to figure out what he is doing if I watch enough, but if I have accurate tab and/or someone explaining exactly what notes and chords and timing and ....

One thing that seems to be very critical when doing stain is to match the solvent with the finish to be applied over it. In his demonstration of hand rubbed sunburst James Condino is specific that since he is going to FP the instrument he does not want to use an alcohol based stain, in his discussion on the old Gibson Cremona bursts Roger Siminoff speculates that Gibson used alcohol based stains because they were going to shoot lacquer over them. We don't know if or how PRS seals this guitar or what finish finally gets applied - that can make a huge difference.

So, great movie, he does beautiful work and makes it look easy. Go to Condino's website and find his vid - he makes it look easy also. When I attended his workshop he had scraps of flamed maple and little dishes of stain - we all got to try and it really isn't all that hard. With my very limited experience I could speculate on the movie but I would rather go with detailed instructions.

Luthi3rz and coonhollow greg like this.
  4. DrASATele

DrASATele Poster Extraordinaire

So If I missed this I apologize and I'm repeating info. Last I read PRS was using Leather dyes and the name escapes me at the moment. I think it could be Angelus Leather Dye which are Alcohol based. Someone on here did something similar a long while back and they got the leather dye to do as PRS did. Good luck, burst are fun if your are patient.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.