Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

PRS NGD!!!

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by mckeeiain, Jul 17, 2017.

1. mckeeiain

mckeeiain Tele-Meister

Nov 25, 2011
    Moncton NB
    Finally, I managed to knock down a bunch of debt and bring home my new 2017 PRS SE Custom 24. What a great guitar..very different than the tele (which is what I wanted). I will also metnion to anyone who's interested: I went in to the shop about a month ago to play my layaway baby, but just before the shop dude got it out for me I picked up a 2016 to twiddle on and noticed quite a difference in tone...I just wanted the 2017...not that there's anything wrong with the 2016s or earlier, but there's a noticeable tone difference in these new 85/15S pickups. Strangely enough, it sort of sounds like a strat in the middle position (not touching the coil tap). Anyway, I'll shut up now and post a pic (sorry about the crappy quality..using an old BB while waiting for my phone upgrade in a couple weeks):
    PRS-SE-24.jpg

2. Texsunburst59

Texsunburst59 Tele-Afflicted

Nov 16, 2005
    Texas Gulf Coast
    Nice!!

Congrats on a nice looking PRS.

I haven't had the chance to audition and of the new PRS SE offerings yet.

I do own an '88 PRS Goldtop "Special", and an '09 PRS DGT 10-Top.

Both are incredible guitars.

3. '64 Tele

'64 Tele Tele-Holic

Mar 8, 2013
    NW Arkansas
    Nice looking guitar.
    I've got an older one I picked up used a while back. Great trem on these.
    Jury is still out on the pickups, but I'm not a big humbuggy fan.
    Nice wood on these....here's mine.

Attached Files:

4. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx

5. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Tele-Afflicted

Oct 14, 2015
    IL, USA

6. Chicago Slim

Chicago Slim Tele-Afflicted

Oct 19, 2005
    Bowling Green, KY
    Congratulations!

What a beautiful guitar. I started playing SE's, with the 1st Santana model in 2001. They just keep getting better and better.

7. mckeeiain

mckeeiain Tele-Meister

Nov 25, 2011
    Moncton NB
    Thank you all! I spent about 6 hours straight playing it last night. Every time I put it down, I had it back in my hands within 5 minutes. Not sure I would say it's "better" than the 2016 pickups (HFS bass and treble I think they're called), but just different. I would still gladly take a 2016 or older...these truly are works of art that sound incredible for the price. I still can't get over the sustain and how sweet the high notes sound on this guitar.

Now that this acquisition is 'out of the way' I might go put an Olympic White American Special Strat (with the big headstock) on layaway (the SSS, not SSH). Picked one up a few weeks ago without looking specifically at what it was and I had thought it was an American standard. Anyone have one of these?

8. drmmrr55

drmmrr55 TDPRI Member

Aug 20, 2017
    Federal Way, Washington
    I also scored a 2017 SE 24 custom from Sweetwater with the rosewood top, man is she gorgeous, so much more sustain than any of my Gibsons, including my Firebird, and really better made than just about all of my guitars. I love those pickups, don't really need the coil taps, but they might come in handy someday! Congrats.....a really nice axe!
    IMG_0080[2].JPG
    BTW, I like that they put the Signature script Logo on the new SE's!
    SE custom 24 F.jpg

Last edited: Oct 5, 2017
    Paul in Colorado likes this.

9. Dacious

Dacious Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    Godzone
    Love my 2004 'Ten top' Custom 24. The closer pickup spacing on the 24 is part of the reason for the quacky sound. TBX on the tone along with inside/outside coil taps lets me pull very Stratty tones.

Primary gigging tool with 'young peeps' band
    people IMG_20170805_213728~2.jpg

10. 24 track

24 track Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Nov 6, 2014
    kamloops bc
    super cool almost a work of art!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.