Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

PRS - looks like no love here.

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by imwjl, Jun 16, 2009.

1. Golem

Golem Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I love PRS, I have an SE Custom 22 and even with the stock pickups it is the best guitar I have ever owned. I even dare say it is nicer than any Gibson LP studio I have played.
    The more expensive ones are amazing but I doubt I will ever own one unless I come across a good deal on a CE22 or the newer Starla. I am a minimalist and the higher end PRS guitars are not minimalist by any means.

2. eugenedunn

eugenedunn Friend of Leo's

Dec 18, 2006
    Sacramento, CA
    What's that even mean?! How about dialing in one tone you like, and just leaving it there? That's pretty minimalist. The cool thing is that there are many tones to pick from...let the situation dictate the tone.

3. Birdmankustomz

Birdmankustomz Friend of Leo's

Aug 28, 2008
    New York
    I view PRS as the new cars of the guitar world, they drive better than the old ones but lack the soul of the classics. If that makes sense.

4. guitarzan13

guitarzan13 Friend of Leo's

Jul 25, 2006
    LaGrange, GA
    CE22 and Custom 24 owner here. I very seldom play any of my others.... Tele is last in line... sorry guys.... Lotsa' PRS love here!!!

5. savofenno

savofenno Tele-Afflicted

Feb 16, 2010
    Sweden
    Some PRS players have great tone

Ayumi Hamasaki`s guitarist plays PRS and he is great! Sorry i can`t remember his name, i check up and edit later.:idea:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ri6rlzt23Nk&feature=related

watch from about 4:00.

I can`t find good guitar parts from YouTube. I have those on my DVDs. I know this is not guitarists`music, but she let her guitarist play half-hour solos in her concerts.

6. Golem

By minimalist I mean that I don't see any need for a carved top or fancy tonewoods (one reason I like the PRS SEs and CEs). I am happy with a bolt-on neck and I think maple tops don't do anything to change the sound (even though my current guitar has one). To me most of the tone is in the hands, the strings, the neck scale, the pickups and other electronics as well as whatever amp or device you play though.

7. Golem

PRS lacks soul?
    I feel like that is a fancy way of saying my guitar idols didn't play this guitar so I just don't feel the mojo.

8. digiTED

digiTED Tele-Meister

Jan 5, 2011
    San Francisco
    Guitars are only containers of the soul someone put into them by playing music passionately on them. Any guitar can have it and any guitar can lack it.

9. ITSGOTQUACK

ITSGOTQUACK Banned

Oct 10, 2010
    Mesquite, NV
    There's no soul in any guitar in the wrong hands.

10. burnoutking999

burnoutking999 Tele-Meister

Nov 22, 2009
    Florida
    I never Like PRS until i saw this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eExdJD5sf5g

You may not like Justin Timberlake or whatever but watch this all the way through and especially the solo/last few minutes and you will have a new respect for him. This is a SERIOUS guilty pleasure of mine as I thought he was JUNK before this. I flip a 180 in 7:41 ish seconds.

This band is one of the sickest bands I have ever listened to. SOUL son. Especially that PRS. Drums, off the hook. Red dress, FINE! Acoustic and electric araingements are AWESOME. etc. I think it is part of Princes band.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2011

11. Duncas

Duncas Friend of Leo's

Nov 11, 2010
    Wolverhampton UK
    i want one. i wish i could afford one, as Paul himself said, the reason they are pricey is that they're works of art to be passed down the generations or something like that.

a Custom 22 would retire all my guitars. forever.

12. mr_big_trouble

mr_big_trouble Tele-Meister

Jul 29, 2010
    seattle, wa
    I don't have a PRS, and probably won't have one, but I do enjoy the beautiful finishes they use on their better guitars. My son-in-law just bought one, and it's gorgeous.

13. eugenedunn

eugenedunn Friend of Leo's

Dec 18, 2006
    Sacramento, CA
    It's just another very versatile tool in the box..... and so what if it's a beautiful tool? Don't be afraid to thrash and play with abandon....my PRS hangs in there with all her nicks and worn finish.

Competes for #1 with my Nashville B-bender, and does some things incredibly well.

14. adjason

adjason Friend of Leo's

Jan 9, 2010
    virginia
    The telecaster is just way better (in every respect I can think of)than any PRS

15. Jeff R

Jeff R Tele-Holic

May 2, 2010
    White Rock BC
    Got an SE One, love it. Really want to test drive a Starla. Not digging the conversation with the wife if I do....

16. gguitar55

gguitar55 Tele-Meister

Sep 2, 2008
    La Crescenta CA
    This particular forum is called "Other Guitars". That doesn't mean a Nashville Tele vs. a Baja Tele. Y'all need to get out more.

17. ITSGOTQUACK

ITSGOTQUACK Banned

Oct 10, 2010
    Mesquite, NV
    Never played a PRS then huh? :rolleyes:

18. twangplank

twangplank Tele-Afflicted

May 29, 2010
    Valliant Okla
    I have played a custom 24 for years and its paid its dues in spades.

Its not comparable to a tele because its NOT a tele. Its a totally different animal for a different job.

I think they're far better than most of today's les Paul's and half the weight. Many people that hate em have never played one enough to know em. I'm sure there are some duds out there but mine has the true road wear to show its usefulness. Just a great guitar.

19. dbenson32

dbenson32 Banned

Aug 29, 2009
    Bowie, Md
    Since this is an old thread, it's funny how people don't like PRS based on the fact that creed and nickelback play them. Even more funny....Alter Bridge (Mark Tremonti) is now one of the biggest true rock bands today and that clown from nickelback has his own signature from gibson.

Ever heard of David Grissom? Johnny Hiland (former)? Dweezil? Davy Knowles? When you compare them to the fender "signature" artists...well the comparison is laughable.

If you think it's ugly, or unattractive thats your thing. I personally like the quality and craftsmanship. For me, alder/ash on maple necks over and over again gets boring. But hey! Thats just me right?

20. Chicago Slim

Chicago Slim Tele-Afflicted

Oct 19, 2005
    Bowling Green, KY
    I've sold all of my other guitars, and currently own nothing but PRSi. The necks are fantastic, and I actually play better on a PRS, than other guitars. I do however like the plain models, like the Starla, Standard and Swamp Ash Special.

Most PRSi are targeted at metal players, and come with pickups made for that dark sound. I go for models that sound resonant and airy, and replace the pickups with a Filtertron type pickup (TV Jones, GFS Retrotron, etc).

[​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.