Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

PRS - looks like no love here.

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by imwjl, Jun 16, 2009.

1. dstuart

dstuart Tele-Meister

Apr 18, 2011
    Worthing, UK
    in a telecaster forum, less is more too many buttons on a PRS

2. digiTED

digiTED Tele-Meister

Jan 5, 2011
    San Francisco
    Hey Chicago Slim; do you have any Korina PRS? I checked out one with soapbars and found it to have such a wonderful open and airy mid character with a touch of heat in the upper harmonic decay. TASTY!

3. kp8

kp8 Friend of Leo's

Aug 22, 2004
    Seoul, Korea
    I am not a PRS fan personally but uh... the picture directly above your post shows a guitar as simple than your average tele.

One vol. one tone, one toggle. 2 pups.

4. eugenedunn

eugenedunn Friend of Leo's

Dec 18, 2006
    Sacramento, CA

I dunno if I'm buyin' this statement either.............really?!

5. octatonic

octatonic Poster Extraordinaire

No it isn't true at all.

If anything PRS pickups are pretty bright, but they have different models that do different things.
    I don't think anyone can accuse the HFS, Dragon 1 or Dragon II of being dark.
    The only brighter humbuckers I have heard are from John Suhr.

6. Chicago Slim

Chicago Slim Tele-Afflicted

Oct 19, 2005
    Bowling Green, KY
    I've replaced the Dragon II's and McCarty's, as well as the SE pickups, with something brighter. My only guitars with PRS pickups are my Starla and SE Soapbar II. They sound great, as is.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. eugenedunn

eugenedunn Friend of Leo's

Dec 18, 2006
    Sacramento, CA
    Hey gang...... speaking of relative brightness or darkness of tones, if you haven't played around with different values of tone capacitors within your guitar, you haven't fully exploited the potential of your existing pickups.

If you have any facility with a soldering iron, I wholeheartedly recommend tweaking your tone caps to get different response or wider tone range with your tone knob and existing pickups. Well worth the effort, with minimal expense. I mean how many of you just leave your tone knob fully clocked? This opens up a whole new range.

8. Chicago Slim

Chicago Slim Tele-Afflicted

Oct 19, 2005
    Bowling Green, KY
    Yea, the tone capacitor, ground shunt (treble bleed), as well as a maple neck, can all add brightness. I'm a rockabilly player, and I've got my PRSi as bright and tangy as any Gretsch or Tele, that I've owned.

9. hannigan

hannigan Friend of Leo's

I like PRS and have a nice one but hardly ever play it.

I also have a nice expensive suit.....

I have worn it once .

10. stringslinger01

stringslinger01 Tele-Meister

Mar 11, 2011
    Huntington, WV
    I really like PRS. In fact I just bought a book about them. I just don't own one because I cant afford one (sigh)...

11. digiTED

digiTED Tele-Meister

Jan 5, 2011
    San Francisco
    Is it the Dave Burrluck book? Great read and great pix!

I'd always dismissed them as beautiful furniture guitars for "I got da blooze" attorneys, but that was my shortsightedness. I met PRS himself and Howard Leese at my local Guitarget and was very impressed with PRS' passion as both a guitar historian and an innovator (he's got some serious chops, too!). I played a few of lawyer guitars and dayum, did they feel and sound good! Never wanted to tie of the $$$ though. My local GC pointed out a used 'natural relic' '97 CE22 standard (no maple cap, painted) that was cheap enough to roll the dice with. It's been my #1 for the last year. Just a versatile, fantastic player. I'm very pro Tele, but this PRS is never leaving :)

12. hannigan

hannigan Friend of Leo's

I really should dig mine out of the wall of cases it has been hiding out in ,and start using it .

Knowing guitars do not really have genders I think of Teles as male .
    PRS are female .

13. ADK Teleman

ADK Teleman Tele-Afflicted

Sep 30, 2009
    A-Bay NY
    I will be honest, I tried on once and it sounded great, played great but did absolutaly nothing for me. It IMO lacked personality...kind of like when you see a Tele or Strat or LP you go WOW....with a PRS it was like...ok...no hate just didn't bond with them.

14. eMGee

eMGee Friend of Leo's

My three cents:

The headstock shape looks like a hold-over from the pointy guitar/metal era.
    The bass side horn is too long — edging into modern bass guitar aesthetics.
    The over-abundant use of flamed maple tops has numbed any desire I had for that look.

15. ITSGOTQUACK

ITSGOTQUACK Banned

Oct 10, 2010
    Mesquite, NV
    Which model would you be talking about? Not sure that I've came across anything from them like that. With the Les Paul style shape, no top horn at all and the other styles, both cutaways are very shallow with short horns on top and bottom. Less so than on a Strat by far. Please post a picture of this wild thing.

16. burnoutking999

burnoutking999 Tele-Meister

Nov 22, 2009
    Florida
    Speaking of Mark Tremonti... Another PRS eye opener there for me! He is great and the tone of his PRS and Matchless is amazing. "haters gonna hate!"

[​IMG]

17. eMGee

eMGee Friend of Leo's

Okay, I exaggerated a bit on the bass side horn — but the original PRS shape just doesn't look right to me, no matter how much fancy wood you slap on it.

18. stringslinger01

stringslinger01 Tele-Meister

Mar 11, 2011
    Huntington, WV
    Is it the Dave Burrluck book? Great read and great pix!

It is indeed!

19. teleman55

teleman55 Tele-Holic

Jul 9, 2007
    fox lake, il
    Nice guitars. No lefty ones so it's a moot point for me.
    This has nothing to do with PRS, but my favorite Santana tone is him playing the P90 SG Special into one of those old SS Acoustic 150 amps with the blue front.

20. Stratburst

Stratburst Friend of Leo's

Mar 31, 2009
    Toronto
    I don't own any PRSi but I would definitely love to get one. I tried a Korina Custom 22 a couple of years ago in NYC and it just about came home with me: one of those magical guitars that fit you like a glove. If it had a 2nd volume control, I would have maxed out ye olde Visa.

I've also tried one of the DGT's and they are absolutely gorgeous instruments as well.

As for those who consider PRSi 'soulless,' I see them as a blank slate on which you impose your personality and playing style. It's not like a Tele or a Gretsch which forces you into certain tones, the PRS is more malleable and is easier to bend to your will. And once you do that, those guitars sound like heaven.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.