Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

PRS - looks like no love here.

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by imwjl, Jun 16, 2009.

1. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

Too bad the web page doesn't convey my chuckle. I just noticed nobody replied to the PRS club I created in the new "clubs" area even though there's a lot of passion for a lot of stuff around here.

I admit that mine is a hollow body and maybe not what most think of with PRS, and I also admit that my Tele and Strat have me set for life as far as solid body guitars go.

;)

2. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Ad Free Member

May 10, 2003
    Near Milwaukee
    I've had 2 SE's......loved them.

I think the fit and finish on the SE's sets the benchmarch for $599 guitars.
    John

3. chet

chet Banned

Aug 30, 2004
    The Jersey Shore
    I kinda liked the cheap Santana model they made a couple of years ago but not enough to buy one.
    Already have a Les Paul.

4. all_identaties_taken

all_identaties_taken Tele-Holic

May 16, 2006
    London, UK
    I like 513 but not enough to pony up €4k

5. surfoverb

surfoverb Doctor of Teleocity

Jul 17, 2007
    Virginia

6. octatonic

octatonic Poster Extraordinaire

I have an '89 PRS Custom.
    I bought it in '92 before the alt-metal revolution.

It has been really interesting to watch this brand of guitar enjoy a meteoric rise in popularity in the late 90's- suddenly everyone was aware of what I had known for years.

Then the inevitable backlash.
    Hmmm...

Well, everyone is entitled to their opinion of course, but I love my PRS- it plays great, sounds amazing and does me just fine.

[​IMG]

7. Tele Fan

Tele Fan Friend of Leo's

Oct 26, 2007
    Louisville, Ky
    I'd really like to have one of the Johnny Hiland models but the price is just too much for me right now.

8. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

I have to agree. I had the SE Semi-Hollow and admit that it proved how one can get into diminishing returns pretty fast as they spend more. I did think how I could have tried other pickups to get where I wanted but it's too late now.

I would also defend the some of the Paul Reed Smith branded US made guitars though having played and inspected some Gibsons. I found one used ES-335 that was very nice but several ES-335s and Les Pauls had terrible workmanship compared to what would be their competition from PRS. I know they are not identical, but didn't think I should see file marks bleed from masking and orange peel on the Gibsons.

That also doesn't mean I did not like some Gibsons either. I liked the sound of most of the Les Pauls and not all of the PRS SCs.

Maybe part of the shame for the Gibsons is how most are in the large chain stores as far as hands on shopping and few to none of them have skilled people to set them up as well - sort of an extra stab against a product with a premium price.

9. tiktok

tiktok Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 11, 2005
    Seattle
    Oh, I'm always on the lookout for a Standard in the natural mahogany finish or a SAS in red flamed maple. I used to have a PRS and didn't bond with that particular one at the time, but I've played several that I've coveted.

10. Tdub

Tdub Friend of Leo's

Jan 22, 2009
    Florida
    They don't excite me at all. All the bubblegrunge bands of the late 90's seemed to play the PRS.

11. musicalmartin

musicalmartin Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 8, 2007
    Norfolk UK

12. all_identaties_taken

all_identaties_taken Tele-Holic

May 16, 2006
    London, UK
    I think it's just that right now most companies and people are into pre 1970's guitars which PRS are not. I like the modern sound.

13. jkingma

jkingma Super Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    I can definitely live without owning a PRS.

14. xjazzy

xjazzy Friend of Leo's

Feb 17, 2007
    Portugal
    People who like telecaster are generally more traditional and like simple things. Nothing too fancy. The PRS guitars are fancy looking guitars and generally expensive. They fit the niche of the TGP more than this board IMHO.
    They are great guitars thou!

15. Jahmbie

Jahmbie Tele-Afflicted

Nov 19, 2008
    College Station, TX
    That hollow body PRS of yours is very nice. Jimmy Herring plays one like it, and he is one of my favorite guitarists.
    A very good friend of mine has one of the more 'modest' CE 22 bolt-on neck models and it is one of the best guitars I've ever heard. Well, he had it rewired and dropped some old PAFs in it, too.
    I almost got one of the SE Ones (LP Jr. copy) a couple years back. It was nearly stupid cheap at a GC, but I was pretty broke at the time and had a pregnant wife at home, so bringing new gear home seemed like a really bad idea!

If if makes you feel any better, no one has joined the Tom Anderson club either!

16. TDPRI

TDPRI Administrator Staff Member

Mar 2, 2003
    TDPRILAND
    Admin Post
    I owned a McCarty, but never bonded with it. Sold it within a year.

[​IMG]

Gee, I don't think I own ANY of the gear in this photo any more.

17. Chickin-Pickin

Chickin-Pickin Tele-Meister

Feb 18, 2009
    Over here...
    I have a 95 CE24, I'll admit it is easier to play than my tele, but it was the first real guitar I bought. It just rocks and I can get lots of different sounds out of it.

E:cool:

18. JimmyJam

JimmyJam Tele-Afflicted

Mar 5, 2009
    So Cal
    I have a 95 CE22. It has a white/pearloid finish to it. It's one of my best guitars.
    It's got that annoying (cool back then) 5 way rotary switch. I kept the dragon pickups in there, they sound fine to me.

19. jjlinus

jjlinus Tele-Meister

Oct 22, 2006
    italy
    seems to me that there's no personality in a prs,a very good guitar ,but no soul.
    never had a gas for prs

20. surfoverb

surfoverb Doctor of Teleocity

Jul 17, 2007
    Virginia
    lol, never heard that term.

PRS, IMO are like the anti Tele...Not for me but Im sure they are nice.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.